View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Hinkley Dasher Reply with quote

We have talked about electric boat drive technology in the past. Well, the future appears to be here....in the Hinkley "Dasher". This is a 28'6" LOA, 8'7' beam, 1' 11" draft, and 6500 lb open center console, luxury bay boat. It is a far cry from the the Electric Duffy and Elco boats.

The Dasher has a "cruising speed" of 10 mph, with a range of 40 miles and top speed of of 18 to 27 mph (depending on weight and conditions) with a range of 20 miles.

Several game changers here. First is the use of two 40 Kilowatt hour banks of "Waterproof BMW I3 Lithium Ion batteries", and two 80 hp electric motors. Recharge time of 4 hours, using two 50 amp circuits (probably 220 volts). Features included in house custom 3 D printed titanium hardware and fittings, carbon fiber hull, "hand painted Artisanal Teak" (I think that means that the deck and railings are probably carbon fiber/epoxy resin, that some poor soul spends a hundred or more hours painting to look like teak).

Oh yes, the price: somewhere around $500,000 But then you also have to modify your dock to handle those two 50 amp charging stations....

Only time before we see our first all electric C Dory!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Shocked a 500K Cool electric Idea boat and NO SOLAR Hot panels Twisted Evil

I'm waiting for the electric drive C-Dory with twins. Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
The electric C Dory with twins can be yours. But the twin 40's are going to cost an additional $24,000 over a single 80 hp. For what ever reason the 80 and 40 "Deep Blue" Torqeedo outboards are the same cost. Well, you say, the $24,000 for an electric outboard, is only about twice what an gas engine is--so what's the rub?

Each battery costs $32,000! 2 batteries are recommended--and 4 are optional.

Also the weight of the 40 and 80 are the same. Either with two batteries is about 1020 lbs. If you option the 80 with 4 batteries, it is going to weigh or about 1660 lbs (you still need a 12 volt battery for the boat's house systems)

You are also going to have to have some way to charge the system--at 80% discharge the 4 batteries are going to take 220volt circuit about 14 hours--and even if I covered the entire roof of my home, it probably would not give enough current...
So motor and battery for a C Dory 22 would run somewhat about $150,000--assuming you wanted a decent range....(A British web site shows lower prices for the batteries--somewhere in the $20K range--so maybe it would be less).

Range: On a conventional small day motorboat up to 3 tons, at a slow speed of 4 knots Torqeedo Deep Blue with two batteries electric outboard engine will have a range of 21 to 60 nautical miles and will have a running time of 5 to 16 hours.

At full throttle, Deep Blue engine speeds increases to 20 to 30 knots, however the range on the Torqeedo Deep Blue electric outboard will drop to 10 to 15 nautical miles and a run time of 30 minutes. These ranges, charges and distances remaining are all shown on the Torqeedo digital read out on the controller, so allowing you to know exactly which range you have left.

So maybe the Hinkley is not such a bad deal after all?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $500K, you'd think it would include a transom!

Maybe it's like the way they used to sell pickups (at least in the south), the rear bumper was BFE.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thanks for all the details. It looks like I am going to keep my current boat and not complain about $3 fuel. It has twins, and that makes me Very Happy Love Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: