The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stuck sliding window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael1

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Stuck sliding window Reply with quote

2003 C-Dory 16
First day out

One of my sliding windows is stuck beyond the capability of large amounts of silicone spray. From the difference in wear between the fuzzy seals of the two sliders, I assume it has been stuck and unused for many years. It is not clear whether the channel for the slider opens when the frame is unscrewed, and it looks like there would be a danger of breaking the frame seal.

Does anyone know if the channel opens to free the slider? Otherwise, does anyone have a magic trick for dissolving whatever mess is causing the problem?

Michael Rowe

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is to have two people. One pulling back from inside and one outside.

Its frustrating but it'll free up. Then after its free, NEVER close it tightly again.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 22's you don't want to try and pull the frame out unless you are planing some major work. I have found them pretty well stuck with what ever sealant de Jour. I would continue to work water and a small amount of Dawn soap into the track. Put the soapy water inside and out. Let soak in for over 24 hours, add a little more soap and water periodically.

Then take a putty knife, and slide it between the metal outside and the glass--take the putty knife all along the outside track (as much as you can. Do the same inside. Don't try and ply with the putty knife...just push along the track to loosen up. Try and wiggle the window up and down as well as fore and aft. Is the latch stuck also? Normally this should take care of it. If not, then go to WD 40, spray a little along the felt--you are going to wash this out later, and go back with the dry silicone spray after you get it clean and free.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam cleaning will remove the accumulated dried dirt, scum, and all the debris in the bunny fuzz.
The window frame DOES NOT get removed from the the cabin wall !
All the plastic window track pieces can be removed from the aluminum frame, BUT the glass has to be removed first.
Look for the filler strips in the top track ( they keep the glass from being lifted out by outsiders.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that spraying water up through the drip "holes" in the channel blows out a surprising amount of dirt from the channel.

I have also found that banging on the window (carefully) and "bouncing it a bit helps. You might also try using a tool (a long-handled screwdriver may work), putting it into the bottom of the channel at the back of the window, and see if you can "lift" the window. Anything like this...to break the "seal" keeping the window stuck.

If all the recommended techniques don't work, I suggest you buy two glass grip handles (the kind used for carrying sheets of glass), one for the inside and one for the outside person. Cheaper and better than removing the window frame (as noted by others.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be obvious but just in case. Be sure to push the window forward, to "unhitch" the latch before you try to slide the window and the whole boat back.

It really helps to REALLY FLOOD those window tracks with fresh water after being out, especially if you were on the salt chuck. A dose of Dry Roller Spray a couple times a season helps too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempered glass is very strong on it's face.
Do NOT lift it with any metal object on it's edge, you will be looking at 1000 tid bits of glass.
The glass can be lifted out of the frame, if you know how to remove the spacers in the top track.
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate those latches. They always take a little violence to unlatch to slide the window open. At sea one day the port side latch just popped off trying to open, you know where it ended up!! I replaced it with a piece of aluminum angle adhered with 5200. Never had a problem since. Now the starboard side is a different story! It's always a struggle. Sometimes it's not the window that's stuck but the latch. I have no security concerns so the latch isn't needed.
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had this issue from time to time. I have boiled water in a tea pot and poured it track from the outside of the window. I let it set and repeat the hot water a second time, then I use a small pry bar and gently use it to add a steady amount of pressure to the latch to free the window. It has worked for me with no bad results... but do it gently because of the obvious problems of unwanted destruction.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
New postPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:02 pm Post subject: Stuck slider RESOLUTION Reply with quote
I found the skinniest blade I have - a thin putty knife - and cleaned out the sides of the glass all around, and took off the end cap (easy). I could not get the blade in on either side of the handle. After everything was so loose that I could wiggle the window a little, it still would not slide, so I tapped lightly on the outside of the handle and it popped away from the channel. The primary problem was the metal-to-metal contact on the outside of the handle.

This was from a new thread that Michael started--and thought it might be appropriate to bring back to the original thread.
Michael1

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: More stuck slider Reply with quote

After I thought the stuck slider problem had been solved, several days later it reappeared. Further examination of the handle revealed the cause: The handle has a lip on the outside that can catch on a lip on the channel if all conditions align properly. It was not metal-to-metal sticking, as I thought, but lip-to-lip catching. The outer side of the channel had to be pried away from the lip of the handle.

I was able to widen the channel with a block of wood and "convincing" application of a BMF hammer to the outer channel, and the problem has not reappeared for a week or so. Once you look more carefully at the handle and the channel, the reason for the catching is obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: