The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

02/16 - 02/20 - San Diego
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: 02/16 - 02/20 - San Diego
From Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:00 am to Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:59 am (included)

Hey -- we've heard rumors about a possible Gathering down in the sunny southland of San Diego. Anything real about those whispers on the wind?

It's a long trailer haul from NY to SD, but we're thinking ... we're thinking ....

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: SAN DIEGO GATHERING Reply with quote

Patty and I LOVE Sandy Eggo - we once rented a boat across from the Hotel Del Coronado for our own tour of the bay, I think it was a Searay, it was definitely a go-fast boat about 20' long. Got warned off when we got a bit too close to one of the big Navy ships - I hope now they don't shoot first and ask questions later...I doubt we'd tow down, but if the stars were in alignment...anyway, we will stay tuned on this one!

El and Bill wrote:
Hey -- we've heard rumors about a possible Gathering down in the sunny southland of San Diego. Anything real about those whispers on the wind?

It's a long trailer haul from NY to SD, but we're thinking ... we're thinking ....

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Rana Verde's Chris is working something up but so far no date has been set. With temporary slips in the stratospheric price range IF they can be found, it'll likely be anchoring/rafting situation though, but if anybody knows San Diego's waterfront, Chris does. I've already tried the back door military marinas and I think had I put in for a slip back when Sawdust retired I might be close to the top of the list by now. Rolling Eyes

Don
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be there if it's between Christmas and New Year, although we're good for most any weekend.

As to slips, in the height of summer, we were always able to find a slip at Chula Vista Marina, or we could anchor out at Crown Point. Anchoring next to the Southwest Yacht Club is OK on weekends, if you talk to the Harbour Patrol. Better yet, if there are Yacht Club members, we can get reciprocal slips at one of the clubs. Since the summer season is over, the racing has slowed down, and one of them might have a guest dock available.

Boris
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey El & Bill, Those aren't rumors. Your good friend, Chris, is setting it up. Here's the discussion on the C-Dog site for San Diego
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Looks like the real thing. Chris knows those waters -- took us out with the grandkids to see a parade of boats, sea lions, and penguins! Yep, penguins in San Diego! So many good places to eat ... and maybe some whale watching around the bend of Pt. Loma ... yeeee hah! And, an added plus, we have a Daydream dodging torpedoes, or some such!
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been checking into logistics for the San Diego Gathering. Looks like it will be an anchor and raft up type gathering. Slips are hard to come by on San Diego Bay, and when you find one it will be very expensive...from $45 on up per night. There are very few guest ties on the bay...and they are mostly first come/first served...with stays limited to a few hours. There is a very nice well protected anchorage near Coronado called Glorietta Bay, and you can stay there free for up to 72 hours. You must sign up with the Harbor Patrol...but I have arranged to do this for the group all at once...I will just need some boat info when the time comes. There are few launch ramps on the bay and only one that allows overnight parking which means we will need to launch at the ramp on Shelter Island. This is within a few blocks of the huge San Diego West Marine store...a destination itself. We should be able to facilitate shore activities fairly conveniently using the water taxi service and/or our dinghys.
Activities could include cruising the bay which is very large with lots of interesting things to see, whale watching (should be prime time for the California Grey Whale Migration), touring a number of different ships to include the USS Midway (aircraft carrier), The Star of India (1863 Barque), A Soviet Attack Submarine, and a number of other ships at the San Diego Maritime Museum. Also, there is the Gaslamp District...the high point of which (in my view at least) is a huge collection of fabulous retaurants. And if the weather/ocean cooperates...we could cruise up to Mission Bay and see the sights there. Speaking of weather....it's anybody's guess what it will be...but we often have sunshine and warm days even during "winter". However, we do get an occasional storm...which could alter our plans a bit...but I've been to some great gatherings in miserable weather.
So of course we need dates...I'm thinking February 16-19, 2006.
Feedback?

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
Those dates look good for us. Since that Monday is a holiday, we can stay Sunday night and return home Monday.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dates look great! We'll do our best to be there!!
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out the Coronado launch ramp today...the parking lot got smaller in the construction project...and still no overnight parking. So it looks like we will need to launch at Shelter Island. However...I did discover a small marina that will likely have a few slips available...or maybe some side ties...and they are real cooperative. They even said we could double up on the side ties...so it looks like we will have marina space for most if not all boats. If there isn't quite enough room...some of us can go out to the anchorage which is right outside this marina. And they will only charge us $15 a night for our 22's. They want a $50 gate key deposit which I think is kinda steep...but you get it back when you turn the key in. This marina is adjacent to the Boat House restaurant and across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado. I think it will work out real well.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presidents Day...forgot about that. That will make for a nice long weekend for some of us! Course for some...like Mike...and El & Bill...it's all one long weekend!
Don (Jenny B) has rounded up discount tickets for the Midway and Maritime Museum. We are working out the particulars. Thanks Don!
Anybody wanting to stay on the hook in the anchorage...no problem. Just need to sign up with the Harbor Patrol...and it's free.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Chris...so if Patty and I fly down, where do we stay and who do we hitch a ride with?

Chris wrote:
Presidents Day...forgot about that. That will make for a nice long weekend for some of us! Course for some...like Mike...and El & Bill...it's all one long weekend!
Don (Jenny B) has rounded up discount tickets for the Midway and Maritime Museum. We are working out the particulars. Thanks Don!
Anybody wanting to stay on the hook in the anchorage...no problem. Just need to sign up with the Harbor Patrol...and it's free.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...the Hotel Del of course! That boat rental place is still there...and the marina we will use is next door. Didn't see any rental C-dorys though...so you may have to settle for a ride on Rana Verde...or Halcyon. Course now you guys are 25ers...so you may want to hold out for Dora Jean or Journey On...but I'm sure we'll find boat room for you. Let us know when you need to be picked up at the airport!
By the way...do they let you take bulk beer on the airplane???
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
OK, Chris...so if Patty and I fly down, where do we stay and who do we hitch a ride with?

As Chris said, San Diego brats are always willing to take you two for a ride, Pat. Maybe even round trip! Wink

I did score big time on discount tix for the USS Midway. Regular adult admission is $15 but with a 4 day lead time I can get as many as we need for $8.15 per ticket with "youth" tickets only $6.50. No expiration dates either. Don't make reservations now! My long term memory ain't so good, so I'll find out who wants them much later. Like in February.

Discounts for the Maritime Museum aren't as good and those of you who will admit to being over 62 can get a slightly better deal at the gate. I can get the discounted tickets at the same time if there's any interest in that venue. It does include touring a "Cold War" 300 ft. Russian diesel submarine though, so given the choice between touring a submarine or a target, you'll know where I'll be.

Be advised: The USS Midway is huge. A major hike to tour even part of it in one visit, so bring comfortable walking shoes.

Don

The best Marine is a Submarine.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Patty --
You don't think we'd ever leave you on a dock, do you?? Halcyon is always a home for you two. If we come down in the camper, and can park at the marina, it's yours for the weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: