The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

few questions about my 19

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: few questions about my 19 Reply with quote

Hi guys, new to the c dory but very happy to be a part of it with my new (to me) 19 angler. I am having the bottom re-coated and noticed at the very back
(stern,bottom of boat) is a small ball like screen cup. Was this old stuff? also i notice water (not much) after a day out in rough water in the front (berth) storage. This one has me wondering as when i purchased the boat it was a bit moldy so I cleaned it out and filled it with water a few times and the water removal was done only with a pump. My best guess is in the bow i see a small hole with a cover on the stern side and am thinking it gets in there. Another question is the hatch was leaking so I sealed the front of it. That slowed it down a lot but it still drips thru the fiberglass. (thinking maybe i should pull it out and re caulk entirely and re install , hate the thought of all that. any comment?
also have a 75, purrs like a kitten. does anyone know the life expendancy of this yami? It (the boat) has total 1340 hours. it is an 06. lastly, the gas / water separator leaks gas, I replaced the bottom bowl and it (the new one) leaks. Not as much but ??? another thing, the gas separator I set on port side to level the boat better but notice the tanks go down evenly, which is fine by me but curious if i should be concerned . lastly, the front window hatch arm that you turn to keep it open was frozen and I could not budge it. wd40 after a few times helped. it was still very bad. my neighbor came over with some spray and over night it was 100 % new. the product was called aerokroil and made by kano. I grabbed a couple on amazon the next day. sooooo a lot of questions but Man, I feel like Im already a part of you great group of folks that love c dorys. My best comment so far was "wow, now that is badass" Thanks in advance for any and all help. Richard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am having the bottom re-coated and noticed at the very back
(stern,bottom of boat) is a small ball like screen cup. Was this old stuff?

Is this the stern drain plug? Is there a possibility that you boat has a scupper--and this is a one way "ball" valve. A photo will help.

i notice water (not much) after a day out in rough water in the front (berth) storage. This one has me wondering as when i purchased the boat it was a bit moldy so I cleaned it out and filled it with water a few times and the water removal was done only with a pump. My best guess is in the bow i see a small hole with a cover on the stern side and am thinking it gets in there.

The hole on the port side is the anchor locker drain. Some of the boats did not have the floor of the anchor locker completely sealed, and water gets in that hole, or thru the anchor locker, and then down into the area under the bunk and out. You need to get a good look inside that anchor locker. If this is not well sealed, I would glass in the floor, and then fill so that there is a nice drain out thru this hole.

Also sometimes the brass strip on the stem will leak around screws. There you pull the screws, epoxy pot the hole, and then put the screws and seal well.

the hatch was leaking so I sealed the front of it. That slowed it down a lot but it still drips thru the fiberglass. (thinking maybe i should pull it out and re caulk entirely and re install , hate the thought of all that. any comment?

Unfortunately many boats of that vintage had the hatch opening cut too large (I have had two boats that did). The solution is to pull the hatch (you cannot seal it adequately from outside). I had to rout out the deck core, since it was a little wet, fill with thickened epoxy, then put in several glass strips of cloth all of the way around the hatch to make it a tight fit. Finally pot each of the screw holes with epoxy, re-install with 4000 or 4200.

have a 75, purrs like a kitten. does anyone know the life expendancy of this yami? It (the boat) has total 1340 hours. it is an 06.

There are some who get in the 7000 to 8000 hours with those motors. But these are guides or commercial or law enforcement use. As long as the engine is running well--you are fine. Good chance you will get over another 1000 hours. This is assuming that both you and the prior owner flush the cooling system out well after each use--that is what seems to kill these engines..

the gas / water separator leaks gas, I replaced the bottom bowl and it (the new one) leaks. Not as much but ??? another thing, the gas separator I set on port side to level the boat better but notice the tanks go down evenly, which is fine by me but curious if i should be concerned . Is your fuel water separator a Racer (by Parker)? It is possible it is leaking at one of the connections. pull the hose barb fittings, be sure that the threads are good (some of the Racor had a different thread pitch), also be sure that there is good gasoline type of teflon tape well warped around the fittings. Did you put in all new gaskets when you replaced the bowl? How about a new filter cartridge --new O rings there also?

lastly, the front window hatch arm that you turn to keep it open was frozen and I could not budge it. wd40 after a few times helped. it was still very bad. my neighbor came over with some spray and over night it was 100 % new. the product was called aerokroil and made by kano.

You just learned that WD 40 is highly over-rated...I use it for very few things. I keep both Aero Kroil and PB Blaster in my shop. Also Corrosion Block X, to spray down terminals and the outboard under the cowl, Some waterproof silicone paste to cover the electrical terminals., etc.

I will be in Seal Beach/ Huntington Beach in Dec. I would be happy to look your boat over, and make any suggestions--give you my thoughts on enhancements.

Take care

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"at the very back (stern,bottom of boat) is a small ball like screen cup"

Is it a raw water intake port for a washdown or bait tank? My parker had something like that for the bait tank.

A picture would help

nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Richard!! Welcome & congratulations on the 19. When I bought my 19 there were numerous high water marks in the v berth,along with about 8" of standing water. With a flashlight I noticed water stains below the anchor rode compartment & the rode was damp. I removed the clamshell on the cover for the drain, drilled out the hole to a larger size & inserted a plastic tube, liberally coated with 3m 5200 & well sealed both ends. I was also concerned with the brass bow guard screws so I pulled them, cleaned out the holes, pumped them full of 5200 & reinstalled the screws. No more problems in the last 8 or 9 years. The plastic plugs under porta potty were just to plug the hole to pump in flotation. I drilled through the foam down to the fiberglass to see if water was collecting under the foam so I could suck it out. I have a bulbous screen on my stern down low that is a primary filter for my self installed raw water washdown pump. Another thing I found was water in the aft flotation voids. I drilled a small hole near the deck as drain holes where water will eventually collect when your rub rail rivets start failing.saw a thread years ago that so much rainwater collected there that he ha developed a serious hard starboard list. The holes solved his problem!!
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the questions coming, and you will get good answers from this group. We love our 19!

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: few questions about my 19 Reply with quote

Thank you thank you. It is sure nice of you all to help me. Great feedback. The boat was x coastguard (auxiliary). I am not very computer savy, or I would could post pics. The boat does have a wash out looking quick connect, but I am certain it is deleted. hmmmmm. Bob, I would love to meet you if time permits while you are here. My cell is 714 675 4856
thanx again team. I say team because I feel that I am on it.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: few questions about my 19 Reply with quote

rbfconstruction wrote:
. . . I am not very computer savy, or I would could post pics. . .

Welcome to the site! You don't have to be savvy, we have high-paid nerds for that! Posting your own pictures is a big part of getting the full benefit of the place.

In order to post pictures, you will first need an album. So:
1. Click on the "Memberlist" button, near the top of this page;
2. The first member listed is "cbadmin." Click on the "PM" button (or the email button if you prefer) for cbadmin and let the nerds know you would like an album;

Once you have an album, click the "Forums" button on the top of this page, scroll down the page to "The Library" section in which you will find a Heading called "The Nerd Shack" - click on "The Nerd Shack" where you will see a "Sticky" topic called "The Ultimate "How Do I Post Pictures Thread"" http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=7355

(You could just go straight to this link, but the little tour through the site may help you get oriented for future excursions around this fantastic place.)

Looking forward to your photos!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Brat site, and have a good time here. Lots of great folks, excellent C-Dory information, and everything you could need to know about your boat can be found here.

Yes, Pictures do make things easier. There are multiple posts on how to do it and it all depends on what computer system you are using (Apple, PC or...) so take a look and see what works for you.

As to the "Basket" . It is most likely over an open to the freshwater intake for a washdown system, or livewell, but, you have a quick connect hose coupling, so even though the pump may have been removed, the grill could still be there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

<snip>

I will be in Seal Beach/ Huntington Beach in Dec. I would be happy to look your boat over, and make any suggestions--give you my thoughts on enhancements.

Take care

This is why I love the CBrat community. Dr Bob is a stellar example of everything good about our forum!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Paul is correct and this will be the intake for the raw water pickup. There may have been a wash down or a bait tank in the lazarett.

Leave it for now--since the hull is cored, it probably should be removed at some point--since unfortunately, the factory did not pot that area around the thru hull with epoxy....

We will talk about it--your number is in my I phone.
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard. The 19 is a sweetheart of a boat! I, for 1,would never go longer or shorter. She is just right for me! I fish,don't cruise, day trips only. The only thing I wish I had would be a larger motor. I have a 70. The only time I wish for bigger is in a following sea as I don't have the power to keep up with the swells. I'm either hauling ass down the front side of the swell or I'm a slug on the backside. Your 75 will be better. The 19 is an ass heavy boat so I put 100 lbs of lead under my anchor rode to weight the bow. Works better. If you have trim tabs, make sure there up in a following sea. Bow steering can be quite scarey. Wish there were more, or, another 19 up here as I'm all alone.
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: few questions about my 19 Reply with quote

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I truly do love the 19 and I will try to post the pics next time. Yes the bottom basket was for a wash down. again ... great advice and thank you all.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: