City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so now it is time for an update, and an "upset"

Just came back from a trip up to Princess Louisa and had some excellent F&C experiences.

First off, (Yes you have to wait until the end Laughing It is an anticipation thing Rolling Eyes
Mark, You are right about the Back Eddy, and apparently it is consistent. We were at the Government dock at the next cove, Secret Bay, tied up after fueling there. Asking about the local eateries, we were told the same thing by a couple of locals, and crew from a 40+ foot sailboat. One of them sent the plate back for "just a salad'. On the dock at ChatterBox falls I heard them talking with another vessel crew who were quite disappointed with the same choice. So, I would highly recommend the gov't dock for a less active (read bouncy night), but just get an ice cream bar at the store instead. (Foggy, you can pass on the ICB, they also had celery:wink:

Oh, then, there is a new (actually only new owner in an established place) in Garden Bay, just above the fuel dock at John Henry marina and RV resort. The name is Burgers and Greens, and a very nice young man is taking over the Burger Grill there. Ask him for the Smoked Salmon Apple salad special. Excelent, and his F&C was good too, but he had the best Ginger Beer I have ever had. Ginger strong, and cleansing. The thought still makes me quiver.

Somewhere down the line someone suggested the Bowling ally in Anacortes for good F&C. So after getting off the boat last week and needing a diversion I got on the bike and did a road trip up to "Sling City", found the bowling ally and tried their version. They have been voted the top F&C in Anacortes for the last 8 years. OK, so honestly I don't remember who recommended them, so sorry if I disagree a bit, but, although they were good, and better than the average at many places, they have a way to go to come up to Fish on Fifth, for sure, and those have been superseded now by Trollers. My still available, easy access, local place on Port Townsend is still SeaJ's, and if the F&C isn't good enough for you the milkshakes will do you in for sure.

And then there was "Trollers", a summer only place on the water under the red umbrellas and next (south), of the government dock, just south of the fuel dock in Nanaimo. Now that was GREAT fish and Chips, (the cod). OH SO GOOD. the fish was perfect. NO wonder they have gotten the "Best F&C" award in Nanaimo for the last 20 years, consecutively. I think Martin and George have been holding out on me. The fish was perfect, every time. the owner says she is a stickler for consistency, and it works. B U T the plate only gets 4.5 stars Although the fish easily qualified for a full 5, there was no Ginger beer available, and you had to pay an extra 50 cents for ice in your drink. Now that is quibbling a bit, but for the price of that Excellent F&C, the ice should have been allowed to come along when asked for. AS for me, If there is fish and chips on the menu, it should be a given that there would be Ginger Beer there too. (For those who are not of the F&C society, the Ginger Beer (non alcoholic) is the perfect cap to the meal.

So, from Not a Cook, to all the Brats, enjoy, stay healthy, and keep tabs on the best F&C places you run across. Some times I need a destination Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,
You remember the F&C at Comox marina, the little green trailer. Well the same people have moved up to a bigger trailer, a black one. The F&C are better than ever and much more on your plate. Two piece cod and chips $16 Cad. They would give Fish & Fifth a run for their money.
Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, Thanks for the update. Are they still in the same place? Sounds like I need to make another trip. Looking forward to it, maybe see you there. Let's keep in touch on that one.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in the same park but moved about 30 meters away. Hope to catch up with you somewhere some day Harvey. Hope to get out again early Oct if the weather co-operates.
Martin.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albacore fish and chips in Astoria. Don't know the name of the place but it's served out of a boat converted to a restaurant up on the hill above the maritime museum. It always has a long line and there's a good reason for that.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Somewhere down the line someone suggested the Bowling ally in Anacortes for good F&C. So after getting off the boat last week and needing a diversion I got on the bike and did a road trip up to "Sling City", found the bowling ally and tried their version. They have been voted the top F&C in Anacortes for the last 8 years

I don't know who's doing the voting, certainly not me. I think the bowling alley F&C are horrible. Too bad you didn't cycle just a little further and go to the Brown Lantern in old Anacortes (near 5th Street). Excellent F&C IMHO. The Rockfish Grill F&C are iffy too.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best fish and chips I ever ate were at a little F&C cart in Port Townsend. That was about 25 years ago.

Recently, my best F&C's was at a chip truck located on the main street of Ucluelet. The fish was very fresh, batter excellent and the chips were fresh cut.

I also had excellent F&C's on the ferry dock at Quathiaski Cove on Quadra Island. Really fresh fish and excellent fries.

In Tofino, Big Daddy's Fish Fry is always a must stop.

The worst in recent memory was at the Grizzly Paw in Canmore, Alberta. The Haddock was Tilapia, I'm sure and the fries were frozen. The micro brew beer on the other had was excellent. Lesson learned, eat fish on the coast not in the mountains.

About 30 years ago we ate F&C's on the beach in Stonehaven the night before we started on our cross Scotland hike. We bought our F&C's at the famous chippy that invented the Deep Fried Mars Bar. Take a Mars Bar, dip in the same batter as the fish, drop it in the same oil as the fish. Enjoy if you're Scottish. I'm not. Scotland, great place to eat if you like grease, don't like veggies and plan to die young.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Recent trip to Anacortes and the San Juan islands I had a lot of Fish and Chips. My best experience was "Secret Cove" in Anacortes. A low key hidden place with a great view. Good prices, good drinks, good service. All of my F&C in the area was great, but this place just seemed to have the top. Overall the F&C standard was better than what I get here in the bay area, California.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Albacore fish and chips in Astoria. Don't know the name of the place but it's served out of a boat converted to a restaurant up on the hill above the maritime museum. It always has a long line and there's a good reason for that.

Roger, Yes, they are pretty good there too. It is called "BowPickers" I believe. Definitely the best in the Astoria area and maybe all of Oregon.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey wrote: Roger, Yes, they are pretty good there too. It is called "BowPickers" I believe. Definitely the best in the Astoria area and maybe all of Oregon.

The locals hereabouts like the Bowpicker, also, both for its quality fish, and the amiable and talented owners. However, Enola's Ship Out, outa town a few miles at Miles Crossing measures up pretty well (sans the long wait in line). As does the F and C at the Bridgewater Bistro on the waterfront, near the West End Mooring Basin.

If you work at it, you can find subpar fish in town, but most places know they are up against stiff competition. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: