The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C Dory cancelling dealers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cfoster

City/Region: Louisville
State or Province: KY
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: C Dory cancelling dealers Reply with quote

Does anyone what is going on with C-Dory terminating dealers and adding a new one. Wefings and Mobile East Marine are no longer listed as dealers and a new one, Three Rivers Marine, has been appointed in Crystal River, FL. Seems like they terminated two very popular long term dealers to try their luck with an unknown.
MMSI #338079033
2008 Grady White Tournament 225
"There is nothing-absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: C Dory cancelling dealers Reply with quote

Cfoster wrote:
Does anyone what is going on with C-Dory terminating dealers and adding a new one. Wefings and Mobile East Marine are no longer listed as dealers and a new one, Three Rivers Marine, has been appointed in Crystal River, FL. Seems like they terminated two very popular long term dealers to try their luck with an unknown.

Wefings still shows itself as a dealer and Three Rivers has been around for awhile. My guess is that there is no active maintenance of the C-Dory site and the list of dealers you see is just way out of date.

Cfoster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,
It's more than that. The C-Dory website has been changed as Wefings and Mobile East Marine were listed until recently and Three Rivers in FL has never before been a C-Dory dealer.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cfoster wrote:
Roger,
It's more than that. The C-Dory website has been changed as Wefings and Mobile East Marine were listed until recently and Three Rivers in FL has never before been a C-Dory dealer.

This is not true. Three Rivers was a respected C Dory dealer for many years. They lost the dealership when they ordered some Cape Dory Cruisers--and this is what pretty much started the legal action between the Reynolds and Tolands. about the Cape Dory and non compete clauses in the sale of C Dory.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cfoster wrote:
Roger,

Three Rivers in Fl has been a C-Dory dealer for many years. The internet wayback machine shows them as a dealer at least as early as 2004 (listed on their own website).
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: dealers Reply with quote

Three Rivers Marine has been around since the early 2000's.
I tried to buy a used CD in 2005, the one I own now. The deal fell through but I found the same boat on EBAY 4 yrs later with only 30 more hrs. on it as well as $40k off of the price. It was in a repo yard in W. Palm Beach, Fla.
Turned out to be an excellent deal.
They were a CD dealer then.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Cfoster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay that explains Three Rivers but why have they dumped Wefings and Mobile East Marine? Anybody have a theory on that?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Marc Grove from Wefings. They are no longer a stocking dealer--their choice. Marc has a number of brands he is selling. He still wants to be the "Go to" for used C Dory sales. I believe he has had more sales of used C Dorys than new ones in the last few years. He does have the knowledge and resources to sell the used boats well. He is also a dealer for Suzuki, Yamana and Honda for the re-power fans, and has very competitive pricing.

I feel that part of the switch has to do with lack of support from the C Dory Factory. It falls on the dealer to buy boats (or floor them) and either is a significant part of the cost of selling a boat. The dealer has to do all of the advertising, take the boats to boat shows, answer questions, and probably has contacts from half a dozen people asking questions for every boat he sells.

Marc will remain as a very supportive member of the C Dory community. We talked about a gathering again "of old friends" toward the 3rd week of Oct. Nothing solid about that yet.

Marc remains a person that all of us in the C Brat community can depend on!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to me that there are few dealers out there. Unless the factory wants to start selling direct, they might want to keep the dealer network they have.

On the other hand, maybe the manufacturer is not all that interested in making more C-Dory's if they have other brands that sell better.

Most of the dealers for C-Dory listed on the C-Dory website, I have never heard of or seen any participation from on this website.

I wonder what the recent sale numbers are for C-Dorys. Perhaps making new ones is not worth the trouble anymore.

It seems that all the activity around C-Dorys is organized by the owners with little to no participation/support from the manufacturer.

FWIW, I have never been to a boat show that has had any C-Dorys (new or used) on display (I attend some East Coast boat shows). Everyone I talk to at these shows know what one is (or at least act like they know), but no one shows them.

On the other other hand, while they have made 2K+ boats, the boats they have made are tough and durable. A 20 or 30 year old C-Dory is pretty much the same as a brand new one and perfectly usable. You can't say that about a lot of other manufacturer's boats. You'd probably have to pay someone to haul a 30 yr-old ***liner away. Perhaps the C-Dory manufacturer has designed themselves out of a job and are planning on moving on.
Cfoster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Bob. I have found Marc to be a man of the highest integrity and a man of his word as I have dealt with him on the purchase of my Sea Sport. The industry would do well to have more like him in the business. I look forward to taking delivery of my 26 Aleutian within the next month and Marc has made it a very pleasant experience dealing with someone with his level of expertise and knowledge. He goes above and beyond to satisfy the customer and do things the right way!
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is no shock to me....the new company could not care about anything but selling boats...I doubt they really have the quality build of the earlier companies as before there was a sense of building boats for friends...we all liked one another and we knew the company had our back...now they could care less who we are ....other than we sell lots of boats for them...I think they are worthless bunch of bums...

I never thought the company treated their dealers well, making them pay for the boats before delivery...not like all the other boat companies...bet that changes once people figure out who they are...

Yes... I am upset that they have dropped my friends the dealers I like and that have stood with us... I will always buy my boats from the people I trust...and that would be Wefings..... If I were a dealer of boats I sure would stand clear of the new company....they appear to be only interested in their bottom line and not the quality or tradition of the C-Dory brand...
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Cfoster wrote:
Roger,

This is not true. Three Rivers was a respected C Dory dealer for many years. They lost the dealership when they ordered some Cape Dory Cruisers--and this is what pretty much started the legal action between the Reynolds and Tolands. about the Cape Dory and non compete clauses in the sale of C Dory.

Umm... Cape Dory is not the same as Cape Cruiser, just to keep all this straight. When traveling with our C-Dory in the northeast, we often heard, "Nice Cape Dory!" from people. I tried to explain that C-Dory and Cape Dory are NOT the same builder... but heard, "Oh, I've been around these boats for years - yep, that's a Cape Dory, and they make nice boats."

Rolling Eyes

I finally figured it wasn't worth explaining to people who already "knew" what they were talking about (and by that, I mean: they didn't), so I just started saying "Thanks!" when they called our C-Dory a Cape Dory. Which isn't the same thing as a Cape Cruiser... well, until the C-Dory factory got the molds for the Cape Cruiser in a law suit that NOBODY won, when the Cape Cruiser then became the C-Dory Venture (23 and 26). Neither of which is a Cape Dory.

Cool

I have no inside information about the relationship between the current C-Dory factory and their dealers... but, if they are as unresponsive to dealers as they are to potential buyers and current owners, I can see why a dealer would be looking to rep other boats.

(Sigh)
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about putting that "Dory" in there Jim...you are absolutely right...

I do believe that the boats are well built--that does not mean that there may not be quality control issues--they seem to happen in many boats.

Flooring is pretty common in the boating industry. There may be an exception where the dealers are owned by the building company--or there is a close relationship. An example of this might be MarineMax where Brunswick owns a portion of the company, and the model includes buying marinas. This at least an 800 dollar a year business....not C Dory's...which I suspect is pretty much a hand to mouth operation...
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you want to call it, I Love
"Dessert 1st," my Cape Cruiser 23 that
I bought in 2009 from 3 Rivers Marine!
Best,
Casey
...currently in Sitka, headed to Petersburg
(On the AK Ferry)

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks. We have a huge group of ACTIVE enthusiasts who love the brand and the brand itself is dwindling slowly but surely. Its frustrating to see Ranger Tugs/Cutwater booming and we're in the dark recesses! Lol

I know for a fact that the 22 and 23 would sell very good in Maine and Mass. It's the perfect coastal rig for up here. The only problem is that NO ONE knows about C Dorys in New England. There is zero marketing and no dealers here. So no boat show exposure.

The 25 and 26 I think would be a harder sell in New England because for the price ($110-120k +) you open up a lot of different options.

Too bad about Wefings but Im sure Marc had to do it. He's a great guy and helped me several times last year. I'm sure the used C Dory market will thrive.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: