Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some thoughts on hot water. My wife and I have a simple solution to hot water when we are travelling in the camper, on the boat, in the kayak or just in the car. Every morning we fill a couple of thermos bottles with hot water and then we are ready if we want a hot drink, instant soup or just need to wash something, we have hot water all the time, in limited quantities. On the C-Dory we tend to cook on the Wallas in the morning and there is usually a spare hot burner to heat our extra water on. Also if the seas get to rough to cook, we still have some hot water. When in boats, wether that be the C-Dory, Kayak or Canoe, I like to have a thermos of hot water with me for emergency purposes, like an unplanned swim in cold water, to help stave off hypothermia.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more thought for the DIY crowd. I went a different way, but I thought about this. There are 12V heating elements that fit a home water heater. They vary in wattage, but I know that they go as low as 300 watts (I have one) and that the smaller ones are made with two elements with separate electrical connections. In other words, you can use a single element of only 150 watts (13 Amps). Igloo makes an insulated "cooler" that these can fit inside of. With some epoxy and ingenuity, it would be possible to make a little 3 gallon 12V hot water tank.

I did the calculations and in a couple of hours of cruising I would have enough warm water for two showers and it would stay warm for hours. I decided that my "collapsible bucket" system shown in my photos was simpler. I can heat water to boiling in a few minutes on my inversion burner and add it to a bucket of cold. Then I just drop in my little pump/shower head. Faster and less electricity.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Storing hot water in thermos Reply with quote

I first encountered using Thermos for providing hot water all day long in several Chinese universities in the late 1980s. Hot water heating was from coal and totally centralized. We did not have hot or potable water in our rooms. Every morning and every evening two large thermos arrived outside my door, often with a flower or some small gift (very Chinese). I first made tea, maybe some instant oatmeal (rice gets old three times a day), and then mixed hot and cold and bathed in the sink. I set aside a cup to cool to brush my teeth. I was careful to only drink boiled water, as were my patrons. The system worked great, and I still use it on my boat and car camping, as well as when I scuba dive, I keep two large Coleman thermos with hot water to pour into my wetsuit. Puget Sound can be very cold, and this really helps keep the extremities warm.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coleman makes a propane fueled hot water on demand portable unit. It uses the small green tanks. It attaches to clear poly water bags in 5 and 7 gallon size and comes with a shower attachment. I bought one to wash hot water into my wetsuit before and after surfing in Neah Bay. It would help stave off hypothermia!

Its a pretty neat setup and not very expensive. Mine still works over a decade later. I don't use it on the boat, but might if I still lived in a cold climate.

Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceez wrote:
Hope you can update us on the new boat

The boat is doing great. I didn't do anymore on the heater but lots of other projects. I installed the AIS radio and Radar as well as custom carpeting inside to have a more finished look (avoid guest foot scuffs) and make it warmer. I also installed a Wallas 22GB heater which is awesome as well as a shelf inside the cabinet. I put an anchor lock up top I will upload some pics of the work done.

I will post some pics tonight. My next project is curtains (material on its way from sail rite) and then the shower hot water. I will be putting some more thought cycles into this in the next couple months. I have the problem that I don't want more weight and don't want to take up space. So the options are limited.

I actually like the idea of the 12V listed above - something to ponder.

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks neat - stick it on the back deck for a private shower. Light and easy to setup.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lowest-Price-Clearance-ANCHEER-New-Blue-Portable-Camping-Beach-Dresses-Tent-Quick-Set-Up-Toilet-Shower-Changing-Room-WSY/626582304
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have bimini there is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Privacy-Station-Drop-Down-Bimini/dp/B00MDV13ZK
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics uploaded of my winter projects. - sorry for the delay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: