The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Over Night Solar Lighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Over Night Solar Lighting Reply with quote

While my municipal dock has power "available", we are prohibited from hooking up over night. To enhance security I wanted to be able to show a cabin light behind the curtains. I searched for a solar powered option and found the Everlite EL7.

http://www.newlite.com/catpage/el7.html

I've been using it for about a month. It comes on and goes off with a photo sensitive switch. It seems to stay on most of the night but, I confess, I haven't checked it at 4 AM. I bought it online for $34.

The neat aspect is you can set it up to work unattended while on the hook and not draw on the house battery. FWIW: it's not a bad reading light if you're on board overnight. Thumbs Up

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Interesting... Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. I believe I will order one. This addresses a couple of things that have concerned me, including a reliable reading light when overnighting.

Steve
tsargent

City/Region: Kansas City
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Intrepid
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I did a search thru eBay and found it at Amazon.com for $24.95 ($4.99 shipping - 4 days). This was exactly what I was looking for. I found a few similar here and there that would have sufficed, so walked away. I paid 5 bucks extra for the two-day shipping so I'd have it in time for the NC gathering in Oriental.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&me=A3L0BSKL461UR0

CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister gave me a great gift recently, a Cabelas "Panther Vision" camo ball-cap with 2 internal L.E.D. lights recessed within the brim. The batteries are small, replaceable watch-type located out of the way towards the rear of the hatband portion. The on//off switch is on the underside of the left side of the brim. This thing is great for boating etc. when a quick, push of a button provides great light for reading or locating instruments, tools, tying fishing knots etc. in those darker hours. I also have enjoyed using my two other headlamps for years but this is no bulkier or heavier than a typical ball cap and more comfortable than traditional headlamps. C.W.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another combined solar cell/battery/3 white LED and 1 red LED which attatches to the hatch or windshield. It will theoretically give 10 hours of light, but mine gives less. It also has a photo electric cell and AA battery. http://www.sollight.com/products/lightship.cfm

For a head lamp, I like the Rayovac Sportsman 3 in 1 headlight. This has two red LED's, one white LED and one Kriptonite white bulb. It has 3 AAA batteries which are susposed to last 200 hours with the single LED--I haven't changed the batteries in 2 years--and probably should even though the lights are still bright--and no corrosion....I suspect that the hat is lighter and more comfortable--but the versitility of the 3/1 works very well for me--plus you can place the beam just where you want it for any work or chart reading etc....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway
I've got one of those lights as well. They're stocked at West Marine. However it seems to hold a smaller charge. With the Everlite I can mount the detachable solar collector with some velcro between the window and curtain. That way, I can have all the curtains up during the day and still keep it charged every day and lit each night Wink
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Lightship solar light Reply with quote

We use 2 of the "Lightship solar lights" on SleepyC and really like them. They stay stuck where you put them, and the charge easily and will run on the single red all night (8-9 hours). We like to be able to leave them on when we are away from the boat and have them come on automatically when it gets dark enough.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tsargent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Mini Everlite Reply with quote

Just received my EverLite Mini... got it on Amazon for 24.95 and 10 bucks shipping. Maybe could have found it locally and saved the send cost, but I think I'll like the light. Both the light and solar panel are small enough to fit in my 19' pilot house with ease. Lots of light for such a little thing! Thanks for the tip. Will have it operating at NC gathering this weekend!
Karl

City/Region: NORTHERN
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Everlite EL7 is now $23.95 on Amazon.com...if you can manage to get your order up to $25, the shipping is free...
tsargent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverLite Mini report - used it all weekend at the NC Gathering. Certainly stayed lit up for the duration they promised. I wouldn't call it a cabin-lighter, just a night light. Careful placement against a light background helps cast additional light. Not difficult to do given our boat color inside!

I do know as I ventured out at 1:30 AM I was quite happy to have the aft section lit up enough to see. If it lasts in the rather damp conditions, it's worth the price.
tom11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccflyer wrote:
Thataway
I've got one of those lights as well. They're stocked at West Marine. However it seems to hold a smaller charge. With the Everlite I can mount the detachable solar collector with some velcro between the window and curtain. That way, I can have all the curtains up during the day and still keep it charged every day and lit each night Wink

Hello,

I want to buy some solar lights can you suggest me some shops for buying Solar lights??
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're like those solar lights you get for your yard, IME they last about 6 mos. before they stop holding a decent charge. Occasionally I'll get one that lasts more than one summer.

I have small LEDs mounted under the cabinet edge along the cabin that serve as night lights. They are on the battery. However, we only use them when we overnight on the boat.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom11

phishing, skam, fphonnie go to hombe depbow

Kare phull,
jbdba01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought several of these

https://www.amazon.com/The-SunLight-Inflatable-Solar-powered-Lantern/dp/B00EOR8MJ6

Work quite nicely. Figured for $9 each I couldn't go wrong. Had them for 3-4 years now and they keep going. I think the longest I left them on was 5-6 hours and it was reasonably bright - it starts off really bright. I don't use them on a daily basis - really more of an emergency light.

It does not have a photo sensitive switch. Just on/off - but does strobe.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Harvey! I especially like the "kare phull" !! That should be a boat name

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: