The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Should we add a sub site for seasport?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Should we add a sub site for seasport? Reply with quote

Since SeaSport now owns C-Dorys maybe we could add a sub site for them like we have for rangers. My best friend is buying a seasport and laments the fact that he can't find a similar community or site. (I think he feels left out lol)

I think at one point there was a seasport community site but don't know what happened to it.

Anyways just a thought. Might also bring additional interesting people to the community.

H

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a good idea.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Seasport sub-category idea Reply with quote

I do own a Seasport.
I believe it would be a positive addition. The owners ( original ) of Seasport bought the molds for the C-Dorys and now produce the C-Dory boats. Thus they are the parent company to C-Dory.
I looked at the forum list; Marinaut boats are listed, the only connection there was Les's involvement as a C-Dory dealer then as owner of the Marinaut boat line. Ranger Tugs are listed, that connection seems to be Jeff Messmer as a sales leader when working for one of the companies that built C-Dory's. Ranger Tug is owned by the Livingstons family.
I like the C-Dory line of boats, they are pracitical and economical to run. They have captured a portion of the PNW marketplace because of there design factors. This site has been very successful at pulling the C-Dory owners together, adding the parent to C-Dory would be a natural addition.
You have my support.
Thanks

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the Seasport boats but how about Bayliners and all the others.... (that was kinda a joke)

I do not know if supporting the company has any reward to us...the new company does not seem to want much to do with us...I may be wrong..but the old company used to be very supportive....I just don't feel the love anymore...maybe it's just that we are too far away to see...may be just me and I have been wrong before...but that is my feeling..

Sorry but I think we need to keep our blood lines pure.... They are a different sort of boat with a different use and capability with inboards...they should have their own group...They should start their own club is they think there is a need... (I know....Don't bother telling me)

Joel
SEA3PO
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I don't like to see a site cluttered up with too many sub-forums.
In this case I think it could benefit the site and members.
I agree that we are invisible the current C-Dory manufacturer but this for us, not them.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are invisible to them except they use the heck out of us for advertising...and they really benefit from that...so I don't feel any loyalty to them....the Seasport boats are so different than our boats...I fear we will become one of those "any boat" clubs...and loose our identity heck there are lots of nice sail boats out there...where do we stop ?

Trust me, If it needs to be said...I will say it..(Navy Senior Chief)...Damm the torpedoes Full Speed Ahead..

Joel
SEA3PO
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents worth... We have members with lots of different brands of boats. It's not an issue for them to start a thread or ask a question about boating in general, or maybe even something specific about their boats. I just don't feel a need to go beyond that.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with that...good suggestion .

Joel
SEA3PO
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it's a good idea either. Totally different hull and powerplant. The only similarity I see is that some of them have the color shear stripe....but many do not.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked over the "Ranger" owner's forum. A fair number of the posts there were not even about Rangers. I believe that the Ranger Forum was started when the C Ranger seemed like a possibility, and then our moderators provided the Ranger Tug owners a forum similar to our C brat forum.

Recently we all answered a Glacier Bay's owner's question. I have seen other types of boats pop up on the forum.

I vote to keep it for the C Dory actual linage--to include the Cape Dory's//Venture boats, as well as various types of C Dorys.

The decision is the moderator's

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to remain a 'C-Brat' and retain the C-Dory linage. Perhaps Seasport owners can form a SeaBrat forum?

I enjoy reading and answering questions from boat owner's of other models, but I prefer to keep the C-Brat forum a C-Dory forum, and often go to the Hulltruth forum for non-C-Dory related 'stuff'.

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welcome Sea Sport comments, photos and experiences, which I think would be a benefit. I've been a Sea Sport fan for decades, and offering them a seat at the table wouldn't threaten what we've built for 17 years. If S-S involvement were to become hugely popular, we simply could create a forum for them.

San Juanderer is right. We're now built by the owners of Sea Sport, and having their voice would be a bonus. Last month at Stuart Island I visited with a Sea Sport couple from Oregon on their way to the Broughtons. I came away thinking we're like cruisin'-cousins in the similar ways we use our boats, how we find value in travel, nature and discovery, and our predisposition to steer clear of self-absorbed showboats and snobs.

A thumbs up to greater inclusion, and a hearty shout-out to all the fine craftsmen at NMI, who made buying a boat a wonderful experience. Also, join us for a shop tour at the Bellingham rendezvous in August.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides of that. I like the C-Dory forum but I think there woud be room for overlap, for instance in catagories like seamanship, or safety, or destinations. Maybe even the best thing on the boat for under $20. But, I like the CBRAT identity we have and prefer to keep that. A sub group, maybe not, but if the manufacture wanted to help support a site fir SeaSports like the mfg of Ranger tugs does, maybe the owners of this site would be willing to set up a parallel site for the SS boat folks.

I agree with Joel, I just don't feel the love coming out of that factory. Brock, I hope I get to do that tour with you, and maybe rub some of the tarnish off.

Yes we do have some things in common, but I think we also have considerable differences, inboard vs outboard, heavy boat vs light boat, cents boat vs $$$$$$$ boat, aft slope windows vs forward slope, are what I think of immediatly.

It would be interesting to hear what the factory would say, and the CBRAT Nerds.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both float, are used for the same activities such as cruising and fishing. They have similar amenities aboard. Yes one slants forward the other back, one is heavier than the other, one plows while the other corks. But I would argue they have more in common than the other boats such as rangers on this site. Btw they do make a unicorn outboard seasport http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-sea-sport-explorer-2400-103090472

As to dollars; yes we burn less of them than they do but I'm not sure why that matters?

As to the factory, how do they support the community? Or I guess I mean how should they? What can they do?
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they haven't built an inboard Sea Sport in something like 5 or 6 years, or at least that's what they told me during a visit to inspect by boat progress last year. Also, C-dory offered I/O boats in the 80's, in some of the 27's and Pro-Anglers.

And I agree, seems to me like NMI already is pretty supportive simply by opening their doors to C-Brat factory tours (and during the weekends when they are closed no less!). I think maybe some people would like to see them more actively participate here on the forums, but really I'm not sure how much help they can be since it seems like so many of the technical questions are related to older boats built by previous factories. The current factory has been responsive to any questions I've had about my boat, simply by contacting them directly. Even their boats are constantly changing in unseen ways (different core materials, different options, accessories, etc) so to answer questions they often need your HIN.

Personally I enjoy and appreciate all the contributions from C-brats who don't currently own C-dories...we see active participants here with all sorts of different boats - I think the more the merrier, otherwise the site becomes dull and not worth checking in everyday for updates! C-brats has become a huge online resource (have you noticed that almost any small boating question you type into Google, often spits back top results from C-Brats?). For that reason I'd actually prefer not to create a separate site or forum for Sea Sport owners, but to keep this site as active as possible. If anything, maybe just a field in the profiles where you can enter other brands of boats, since not everyone includes that in their signatures.

-Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: