The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

No house electronics--weird problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good chance you can just top the fluid off at the helm pump. I do this as inspection at least once a month. Mine had been leaking at the helm pump for some time. The seal kit is not that expensive, and resolves any leaking there. Back aft, isa bit more to replace the seals, but a DIY project. Fine grit/sand and dog hair can slowly damage the seals. Inspection of the rod, at each outing is a good idea--both to wipe clean, and look for any leak. Takes a second--make it part of checking the oil in the engines routine.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmacpiper wrote:
smckean (Tosca) wrote:
bmacpiper,
Quote:
All lugs and cables are clean and installed with dielectric grease.

Was the grease put on before the connections were established, or after?

Both! Smile

Obviously dielectric grease was NOT your problem, nor do I think that grease would ever cause such problems, but I've often wondered how exactly to use this grease.

Dielectric grease is JUST that: a dielectric....which means it does not conduct electricity, but is instead, it is an insulator. So it has puzzled me why I would put it on before I made a connection. I've done some research on this, and sure enough the "experts" seem to say to put it on after the connection has been made (which makes sense). The dielectric grease is there to stop any spurious or accidental electric flows and to protect against corrosion.

Even though dielectric grease could increase the resistance of a connection, I've read that the pressure of the nut on the post and connectors squeezes out the grease between the metal connectors, and does not harm the conductivity of the connection, but I have no proof of that.

I try to put on the grease after I make the tight connection since I want the best connection possible, but it sure is easier to put the grease on first. I continue to wonder if it matters???????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: