The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

trailer transport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingmann

City/Region: Kettle Falls
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Eva
Photos: Eva
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: trailer transport Reply with quote

Planning 22' C-Dory transport on trailer from Vermont to Washington State. I have been reading about "transom savers" and would ask for input on this. The vessel has a 90HP Honda only.
I have spoken with "Smooth Haulin" out of Kansas for $1.50/mile - seems like a reasonable price.
So it looks like I will join the C-Brat family soon. I am very excited about getting on the Columbia River (aka Lake Roosevelt) just below our house in Northeast Washington.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want some support of the motor. Transom saver is one way to do it. I have that on my Caracal cat--and it came with the boat. The only issue is that there can be some slight disconnect between the trailer and boat--vibration, going over bumps etc. I have never had any issues. Mine is on a Suzuki 140.

For all of my other boats, I have either used the MY wedge (hard rubber) which goes over the longer single lift cylinder arm between the motor and cylinder. Some use PVC pipe in there--it can scratch. and is not as strong. The MYWedge can get soft with the heat--and if too much pressure, creep down. Another option is a piece of wood between the engine bracket and support on the engine. This is probably the most commonly used "device". A 2 x 2" piece of wood--perhaps OAK? A round closet rod 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 " wooden towel is cheap.

I also like to put my engine all of the way over to one side to release any pressure on steering ram. Talk to the hauler. Is the boat going on the trailer, //road, or on a transporter? (Flat bed or boat carrier?) If on your trailer--be sure the tires are new--(less than 5 years old) that wheel bearings are in good condition, well greased. Be sure that the hauler is both licensed to haul commercially, that he is bonded and has insurance. Also be sure that your insurance is in effect and covers the boat in transport. $1.50 a mile is a decent price. The distance is about 3000 miles. If I have a boat shipped, I try and find a hauler who has taken a load near to where I want to pick up the boat, and has no scheduled return load. You might get a better price...or not.. I like to have a good coat of wax on the boat before cross country hauling. If possible have the windshield covered. My black out curtain fits on the outside and protects mine. Be sure the hauler either calls you each day or has a tracker, so you can check on the boat.

Congratulations on the purchase of a boat!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rob bauerle

City/Region: spokane
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Robbie's Refuge
Photos: Robbie’s Refuge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just up in Kettle Falls today in my c dory going after the sturgeon.
Get on the water and get fishing.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had 2 boats hauled from the east coast, one in cheasapeake bay the other from New Jersey. Both times using U-Ship, the last one from NJ cost $2400. I have the business card info, if your interested.

It is best to have the motor as near vertical position as possible.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: trailering Reply with quote

I had my CD towed from W. Palm Beach, Fla to Anchorage, Ak.
THe engine should be in the vertical position as well as secured from hammering the hydraulic steering by swinging L/R all the time.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure exactly what you are asking as I read the other posts, but if it helps, I trailer my CD-22 all over the place. Over 10,000 miles this year alone already. I leave my Mercury 115HP 4 Stroke EFI in the down position with pins in the bracket to help support the motor in position. I typically trailer at least 5000 miles a year, and knock on wood, have had no problems with the transom or outboard. I have about a foot or a bit more of clearance between the road and the bottom of the skag. Colby
dbrown993

City/Region: Prosperity
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: O' So Nice
Photos: O' So Nice
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often tow my 22 Cruiser to the Keys and back, which is about 800 miles each way. I use a transom saver bought on Amazon, which allows the 90 HP Suzuki to be tilted up enough without placing strain on the hydraulics etc. A molded rubber bracket cradles the transom and a bungee around the transom securely holds the steering in a mid-line position. The other end of the saver is supported by the trailer. Seems rock solid and has worked well for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: