The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/15 - 10/29 - 2017 Snake/Columbia River C-Dory Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck for all that you do. These items are all very helpful.

I need to get my own thoughts together as I have been out of town for some time and I will continue to be on the run for awhile.

I will call you in the next two weeks to discuss (1) picking the exact launch date and (2) retrieval options at the back end of the trip.

My contact information is (916) 799-0286 (c) and jagibson@sbcglobal.net.

Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one more resource I found when I attempted this trip. Its a bit sparse but gives some info.

http://w3.gorge.net/casiera/columbia.htm

I think I mentioned this earlier but what is also important is to keep the PWC schedules in mind at the locks.

As to firming up - I will know more in about a month or so whether this will work or not due to work commitments. I will confirm no later than mid-august.

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"important is to keep the PWC schedules in mind"

PWC?

Personal Water Craft --- schedules Shocked must be some other PWC Question

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't quote me on this but I believe personal water craft can cross every 2 or 4 hours through the dam at bonneville. We for example arrived too late and had to wait so we went to beacon rock and had lunch, hiked a bit and then returned to the locks. That's what I mean by pwc schedules through the locks. Here is some basic info on crossing them http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/Portals/24/docs/navigation/HowToLockThru.pdf

Smile
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PennyBridge.

Thank you for the link information. Very helpful. Also thank you for the update on your status for the trip.
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries you can also call the locks on your cell phone (I find it easier to understand them) also they are super nice people so if you have questions ahead of time just give them a ring I am sure they would be happy to answer any you may have. I think if It works out with my work schedule my wife will drive me and likely a friend down and pick me back up in Astoria with the trailer.

Cheers,
Harald
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I don't do this trip by boat, (and to be honest, I am very skeptical about the weather that late in the season), I would be willing to do some driving, either from Astoria or Lewiston, or ????? wherever you decide to park the trailers.

I would have room for 3 or 4(cozy) and would do the trip in a one day run. Would have both phone and VHF capability. Wish I still had my big van Sad but that is years ago.

Or you could rent a van, carry everyone in one trip, one vehicle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the chart book of the whole trip, Snake and Columbia. If anyone would like to borrow it. Let me know.

Fred
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help and offerings. Quite touching the outpouring of interest.

Fred, thanks for the chart sharing. I already bought the entire set of charts myself but someone else may want to take you up on this generous invitation as they would save themselves about $75 or so. It is likely that these charts will only be used one time in your life!

Harvey, thanks for the driving offering. We may take you up on this once we figure out the exact number of trip persons and our coordination logistics. After I talk to Chuck some we will get back to you with some specifics.

I am happy to say that I now have got a commitment from my Ms. Katherine to go on this crazy trip with me! That will make this expedition cruise much more manageable for me, especially going through all the locks with an extra hand.

At this point we have four C-Dory's committed to the trip and approximately 8 souls on board. Therefore we may now be planning for transporting at least 4 people back to Lewiston (if we leave our rigs there) assuming the others stay with their vessels in Astoria.

More later.
johnpurvis

City/Region: Meridian
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Firefly
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Snake/Columbia Cruise Reply with quote

The Purvis' on Firefly would like to join the trip from Lewiston to the first part of the Columbia River section. Not sure how much time we will have, but we would like to do the Snake River part if that is possible.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boatusmagazine.com/boatusmagazine/augsep_2017?pg=48#pg48

The August/September Boat US Magazine has an article on the Columbia River cruising.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have posts, on our website, about Columbia and Snake River cruising. Perhaps the post on the Geology would be an interesting read for C-Brats considering such a cruise :

http://cruisingamerica-halcyondays.com/colgeo.htm

capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in my 2 cents here it is.... I grew up along the Columbia. If I could choose any month to do this trip, it would be October. September can still be very hot. I don't know what all this talk and worry of rain is about. 2/3 of the trip is the driest barren desert climate in the NW. Autumn is beautiful and you would likely never need a heater or AC.

I am all for safety, and I believe the more the better. However I think the worst days on the Columbia are nothing to get intimidated about for a C-dory owner. These boats were made to handle much more than the Columbia. Having these boats and only taking them to lakes is like having a Hummer and only using it to buy groceries. Yes the Columbia can be very windy, but there are MANY safe places to anchor up if you do your research.

To toot my own horn a little.......Last fall I had my wife drop me off at Beacon Rock, just below The Bonneville dam. She then drove the trailer home to Tillamook. I took my time and cruised to Astoria. The original plan was to have her pick me up at Hammond marina, but the ocean conditions were so ideal for the next day, that I decided to just keep going. I crossed the Columbia at 7 am and went to my home port in Garibaldi, was home at high tide. This is why I chose this boat, to have adventures like this. From Bonneville to Astoria was a real pleasure cruise, seat reclined, one foot on the steering wheel....
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still considering joining this cruise, bringing along a friend.

I'm thinking about having my wife accompany us to the put-in, where she will drop us off and then drive my truck/boat trailer to the take-out in Astoria. She'd then take the bus/train home to Mount Vernon.

Have any arrangements been made yet for a specific take-out location in Astoria?

jd
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capt. meares wrote:
If anyone is interested in my 2 cents here it is.... I grew up along the Columbia. If I could choose any month to do this trip, it would be October. September can still be very hot. I don't know what all this talk and worry of rain is about. 2/3 of the trip is the driest barren desert climate in the NW. Autumn is beautiful and you would likely never need a heater or AC.

I am all for safety, and I believe the more the better. However I think the worst days on the Columbia are nothing to get intimidated about for a C-dory owner. These boats were made to handle much more than the Columbia. Having these boats and only taking them to lakes is like having a Hummer and only using it to buy groceries. Yes the Columbia can be very windy, but there are MANY safe places to anchor up if you do your research.

To toot my own horn a little.......Last fall I had my wife drop me off at Beacon Rock, just below The Bonneville dam. She then drove the trailer home to Tillamook. I took my time and cruised to Astoria. The original plan was to have her pick me up at Hammond marina, but the ocean conditions were so ideal for the next day, that I decided to just keep going. I crossed the Columbia at 7 am and went to my home port in Garibaldi, was home at high tide. This is why I chose this boat, to have adventures like this. From Bonneville to Astoria was a real pleasure cruise, seat reclined, one foot on the steering wheel....

IMHO, Bonnyville to Astoria is a piece of cake most any time. Rain is not an issue in a C-Dory. The stretch from Umatilla west down river through Biggs, Dalles, Hood River and Cascade Locks includes the windsurfing world capital, and the windiest water I know. And I live on Juan de Fuca Strait. I have lived, worked, driven along the full length of the Columbia and Snake from Lewiston, to the coast. I agree, from Bonneville on down is doable anytime. The other section might get pretty hairy in those late fall blows.

It would be interesting to have some input from one of the tug and tow captains that run that river 24/7/365.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: