The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/15 - 10/29 - 2017 Snake/Columbia River C-Dory Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a pretty easy day. Started out with meeting for breakfast at a local pizza joint, PJ's Pizza. Tyboo had already left the dock to do some fishing, much earlier. Cat Claw and I took off as soon as we got back to the boats to go check out the Skamokawa Village. Tyboo was actually waiting for us at the main channel, so the three of us pulled into the shallow channel leading into Skamokawa. To be honest, while scenic, we really didn't see much of the park from our view, nor did there appear to be any public docks to tie to. So we turned back out and the others caught up with us. Passed one tow moving along at 10 mph up stream, and several more anchored freighters. No fog. No Rain. No Wind. Just pretty much a quick 20 mile jaunt to Astoria. Tyboo took some pictures of us along the way. Arrived at the West Basin around noon, and waited for the marina office to come back from lunch at 1, before checking it. Tyboo felt it would be calm enough for me to make the run out to Buoy 10, so he, Lew (Cat Claw) and Bob (Vega) climbed on to my boat and off we went. Nothing too bad, maybe some gentle 3-4' rollers. Did have a little more chop coming back, slowing us down to about 10 kts.
Plans now are for some sight seeing for all of us tomorrow. Specifically for me I want to see the Maritime Museum! Then those returning to Lewiston to retrieve their rigs will rent a car and head off first thing Saturday morning. I'll pull my boat out tomorrow (I prepositioned my truck and trailer down here), and then also head out first thing Saturday morning, first dropping Bob off at PDX, then on towards home.
Photos from today already uploaded. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Safe travels to all on the way home. Should be bare dry roads, maybe even warmer than average for the next few days. Enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Hardee's question, personal thoughts. For me, this was a long drive before even getting to the River Run, as I called it. 1600 miles to Hell's Gate, 440 miles to get my rig to Astoria area, now 2000 miles home. But I love traveling with my little boat. Wish my wife could have come also, but she's still working, and this just didn't excite her that much. In fact, she would not have been happy at all with the windy day we had with 3-5' chop! To be honest, as we got going the first few days, while enjoying myself, I was questioning was it really worth driving so far for a cruise down a river. I've locked before, but these locks impressed me more with the level and speed of the drop! But with the more challenging days in the waves and then the fog, and then the neat marina at Cathlamet, and finally the chance to go out to Buoy 10, YES, It was worth the drive out for me. Also, while I knew several of the other Brats from the Delta Cruise, I had the opportunity to meet Lew off of Cat Claw, and Bob, Bernie's (Vega) old college roommate, who is from Prescott, AZ, which is an old fun stomping ground of mine. Also got to meet Floyd's (Far C) better half, Eiko. And of course Tyboo Mike! So, new friends with similar interests in boating! C-Brats are just good folk to meet and be around! And regarding Buoy 10. That capped the trip off for me. While it may not technically be the Columbia Bar, it is pretty much the end of the River. I came this far, and like the Golden Gate Bridge during the California Delta cruise, something I felt obligated to do, once some of you mentioned it. There was also another special situation that made it that much more meaningful to me. I had a small bag of some of my late wife's ashes to spread. She loved the ocean, and will now always be a part of the Pacific. (I forgot to bring them along on the Delta cruise.)
As for the timing, the foliage was beautiful. I have a heater in the boat. I think twice the time and staying in marinas like Cathlemet would be more my style. There were some islands that would have been interesting to explore and anchor among. Most the folks along preferred eating out. I prefer eating in. Because of this, I missed some of the socializing with the others. If it was warmer, gathering on the dock each evening would be enjoyed. However, several of us did enjoy short visits on others boats a few times.
I think and thank Jim for doing a wonderful job planning this cruise out. Everyone was willing to help with various tasks, and that gives each of us a stake in the outcome.
I'd love to see everyone come out to the Midwest gatherings on the Mississippi, and the Florida gatherings on the St. John's River. Much more laid back, with most the cruising done after the main event with smaller groups. Food is more pot luck style, and there is no hurry to get anywhere. Wink I enjoy both styles of gatherings/cruises.
Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, almost forgot. Silly as it may seem, my biggest concern for coming out here this late in the season, other than weather on the drive, was weather when I returned back home. Need a few days to clean up and winterize the boat! Fortunately it looks like that is forecast to work out too with temps in the 40’s and 50’s!
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a grand adventure! Thank you so much for your great job in documenting in both words and pictures this wonderful cruise. You truly epitomize the meaning of "trailer boater" as you've trailered to nearly every corner of this country the past few years and I applaud you for your adventuresome spirit.

I applaud also Jim for the planning and initiation of this adventure and of course the rest of the boats and crews who helped in making this such a successful quest. Thank you so much for vicariously taking us along with you!

Peter
C-Dancer
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a lot of fun following along and envisioning our boat as part of the group. I wish we would have made it, probably would have if we hadn't moved so far east. I have lots of memories from the Snake and Columbia, it really is great underrated boating. Thanks for all the posts and sharing the adventure with us!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll upload photos later but just a brief update for today. Just had a wonderful tour of the great Maritime Museum here in Astoria. The breakfast bunch ran into one of the past museum Executive Directors who was the one to give us a personalized tour! Could have spent even longer there but time for me to get my boat pulled out! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as I was just leaving the West Basin Marina, a call came over 16 from the Coast Guard cancelling a request for help with a boat on the rocks outside the Hammond Marina as the CG had already responded. That was where I was headed for to pull my boat out. As I turned in to the marina, I saw the USCG flashing blue light at the end of the ramp dock. As I got closer, I saw the bow of a boat sticking out of the water already tied up at that ramp dock. Not sure how fast of a leak they had, but the folks that I assumed came off the boat looked dry. I suspect the USCG got there in time to pull the boat in, but must have been a leak somewhere. Looked like the standard family boat with a windshield and soft top. But only the bow and top of the windshield were out of the water. Tyboo had just warned those of us going out to Buoy 10 yesterday, to stay in the channel. It was rather windy out today, so perhaps this unfortunate couple had engine problems coming in, or managed to get on the rocks some how....Other than a great Museum tour, that was the excitement for the day. Mr. Green A few more photos to upload, and I'll call it the end of the River Run! Colby
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lois and I walked down the dock to see the group but all but Lew were out to dinner. We had a nice visit with Lew and then went to the four nearest restaurants looking for the group with two more walks up and down the dock in between and finally gave up. Sorry we didn't get to see you all tonight.

Lew has my phone number if you need anything between now and driving off with your boats on Monday. Don't hesitate to call. At the very least I can pick you all up at the east end ramp after you stage your trailers and take you back to your boats.

I am glad you got such nice weather for your two days on the north Oregon coast.

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to my sister in Portland, OR. The winds in the Gorge, (Troutdale up to Cascade Locks), were in the 35 to 40 bracket today. Sure glad you all are well past that and all safe on the finish line.

Thanks to all for keeping it interesting and letting us follow along.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you guys will doing an Active Captain reviews for the marinas you visited. Boaters doing reviews on the Columbia and Snake River marinas have been few and are usually focused more on "big boats" than for our kinds of boats and boating.

I'm still bugged we were unable to go. If it works for us next year I'll want your reviews and thoughts on how you would do it differently after doing it once. Earlier in October? Shorter days/ longer days? What would you do different?

Chuck

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, read my earlier post regarding my personal feelings on the "River Run". Longer time to allow more stops along the way, etc. As for Active Captain reviews, I might try to do some once I'm home and caught up. But basically, Kinnewick was the best. They wanted our business, were quite friendly and helpful, and it was a pretty nice setup, and inexpensive. Cathlemet was a cool place, and while we checked in after hours, they seemed to be helpful and a nice setup. Lyons Ferry was pretty nice also, but an older dock. I think we could have asked for electricity and been put in a covered dock, for a higher price. Camas could have been nice had they allowed us to stay in closer on seasonal docks that were vacated. Port of Arlington was nice, but no showers. And a train that went by frequently blowing it's horn. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I rode the motorcycle to Portland. Beautiful Fall day; crisp, early foggy, cloud layers laying in the mountains, burning off to sunny, light breeze and warm. Crossing the I-205 bridge it was a gorgeous view of Mt Hood and the river. Breeze out of the east at less than 5 kn, quit a few boats, no clouds, and hardly a ripple. Big change from yesterday. What a difference a day can make.

I'm with Chuck, wanting to learn what I can for future reference. I don't use Active Captain, but I know lots of folks who do and for them it is very helpful. At some point I will probably graduate to that too.

Thanks again to you all, and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The California contingent of this epic adventure pulled out of Astoria this morning with their boats in tow. Lew was already on his way back to Montana Sunday with Cat Claw and was seen in passing by Jim, Floyd and Bernie who were headed back from Lewiston, ID, with the trailers for Pounder, Far C'r and Vega. Colby was last last sighted on his way back to Wisconsin with Midnight Flyer after leaving here Saturday morning.

Lois and I were treated to a wonderful dinner and visit last evening with Jim and Kath, Floyd and Eiko, and Bernie for which we are very grateful. It was wonderful meeting you all and hearing your tales of this and other cruises.

Thank you all so much for letting all of us share in this adventure with you!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home, and unloaded the boat and truck. Tomorrow I'll start the cleanup and winterization process. Crying or Very sad Along with some trailer maintenance. Cold trip home. Spent the night indoors with the C-Brat friends in Couer D Alene. And had a good visit with them! The bed and shower (and warmth) felt great!!! Then the next night found a nice national forest campground on hwy 212 near Ashland Montana. (Red Shale.) 25 degrees that night. Next night at a Cabelas in Mitchell, SD, 18 degrees! My little Webasto heater kept the boat around 60 both nights! Very Happy Drove thru some Fog in Idaho and Montana. Then some blowing snow in Montana and S. Dakota. But home safe now! This was a great trip to finish out my stats for this year. 16,000 miles on the trailer, and 238 hours on the Outboard. That was since March. All safe and uneventful trips, other than the fun and enjoyment. I did pick up a screw in one of my trailer tires after the California Delta cruise, on the Lonliest highway in America (somewhere east of Fallon, NV), but that was an easy fix with a plug and air fill! Great year in my book!!! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: