The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/15 - 10/29 - 2017 Snake/Columbia River C-Dory Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested but would prefer earlier in the month for longer and warmer days with less chances of rain. Lew
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but for me the time schedule is locked in.
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K Jim, I will get the heater going. Lew
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like an amazing journey. Lots of sights and history along the entire route. It's a little bold for my old boat but my old soul would like it! I am sure I could meet you somewhere on the water close to my end of the river and float the last leg of your epic trip.

October can have some pretty wild weather up here. The Columbus Day storm of 1962 is said to be the most powerful storm ever recorded. September is a better choice (I believe that's when El and Bill made the journey). When the fall weather hits at the end of our typical Indian summer it is like a switch gets flipped in the sky and it doesn't let up until spring. That being said, a close watch of the forecast and contingency plans can make it work.

If you want a signup list and a front page announcement we can set that up for you.

Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Please go ahead and set up the sigh up sheet.
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Far C'r, Floyd & Eiko, and Vega, Bernie and ??, will commit for this trip. Should be a great adventure!

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts on vehicles/ shuttles

1) SUPPORT WAGON: Only a limited amount of the Snake River does not have a near-by road. I think we need to pool "drivers" and have a vehicle follow us driven by a different member each day. Then, if things "happen" we have resources to deal with it. Over a ten day travel period with just 3 or 4 boats the chance of needing outside assistance is high. If we get more boats the risk goes up. Plus, the day we want a nice restaurant meal the best place will be too far to walk.

2) SHUTTLE: It's an 8 hr drive pushing hard from Lewiston, Idaho to Astoria, Oregon which makes the shuttle a two day trip. I think we should find some place about half way, perhaps in the Umatilla to Arlington area, to store the trucks & trailers. After launch the drivers can take trucks -trailers to storage & return by the support wagon above in one easy day. Then the trailers will always be within one days drive of our fleet.

Chuck

Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck

I agree with the need for both a support vehicle and the need for secure centralized storage for our trucks and trailers. I hereby appoint you as a subcommittee chair to identify and help implement these two initiatives.

I will talk more to you about this on my return from Canada. I have very sketchy internet access for the next 10 days.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been interested in doing this trip for years also, but I agree with Tyboo, October is very late in the season. The winds can and do rage from Umitilla and Arlington all the way down through Biggs, The Dalles and Hood River, and there are Wind surfing bases in all of those. The Dalles to Cascade Locks has the highest wind speed averages of the river length, and 4 - 6 foot waves are not that uncommon, especially with the fall/early winter blows. There are few places to get out of the wind, and even the marinas are not sheltered from wind.

On parking, I would think parking in Lewiston area would be best, then when arriving at Astoria, rent a van for the drivers to get back up to Lewiston Clarkston. That would be a good days drive, probably 8 - 10 hours, but could be done in one day, then the next day taking the trucks and trailers back down to the boats in Astoria.

I have lived along both the Columbia and Snake rivers for many years, and sailed and boated there since I was in college, (mid 70's). It is not to be under estimated. I would submit that the month of September would be more hospitable.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started a Google Map for the trip, anyone with this link can add or edit the information. I will be updating it as I learn more, feel free to add your own knowledge Please!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13unQWetgd9OvvjeWjlx5-nirBIU&usp=sharing
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add my 2 cents to the same cup Tyboo and hardee are filling. Late October can go either way ... and change back two days later ... from calm and warm to driven rain. Once you get well clear of Bonneville Dam, likely no high winds.

That said, I would definitely go in late October, myself. Hell of a trip.

Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago, we spent 4 days searching for a good weather window between The Dalles and the Cascades locks. The wind and rough water conditions made for a very uncomfortable causing our return to Dalles on three consecutive days. We ended-up going following behind a barge full of grain at 6 knots between The Dalles and Hood River. After a couple of very enjoyable days around Hood River, we got underway one early rainy morning, in flat water. Beyond the Cascades the River was kinder to us...

Our current plan is to trailer from LA to cruise around the Willamette River and Porland for a week or 10 days in August, then trailer again to Vancouver Island and launch in Gold River or Port Alberni for a week or 10 days.

On the way back we might join you guys for that a portion of your trip.

I still have some charts and a couple of cruising guides for the Columbia, I'd be willing to lend to whoever might be interested in them.
helm

City/Region: Medford
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim we did that trip in 2014 with Chack Chack, majestic and unforgettable.
You might consider launching at Hells Canyon resort, they have a lot to leave your vehicles etc. You can read a brief description of our trip and stops in the Grand adventures forum - Lewiston to Astoria.
Best
Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All Lewis & Clark Explorers!

Thanks for the enthusiastic comments and discussion participation.
Right now, we have the following 4 C-Dory boats, and 8 attendees, confirmed for this Expedition Cruise:

1. Jim & TBD – Pounder
2. Chuck & Penny – Two Bears
3. Floyd & Eiko – Far C’r
4. Bernie & TBD – Vega.

Floyd and Bernie, when you get a chance, please also sign up under the Event Signup Sheet as a formality.

Right now, we also have the following 7 C-Dory boats who are interested in this event and have expressed some desire to try to make it happen:

1. PennyBridge
2. Discovery
3. Wandering Sagebrush
4. Berta’s Boy
5. Cat Claw
6. SleepyC
7. C-Casa.

For the above seven boats, please let me know as your plans firm up whether or not you will be able to make this trip. The sooner we know who is going, the better we will be able to do our upfront logistics planning.

Chuck, when you get a chance, please text or email me your phone number so you and I can begin talking about trip logistics.

Floyd, thanks for setting up the map link. That is an interesting and fun link to look at.

As we progress in our trip planning, I plan to delegate various aspects of planning for this trip to the different participants so we can divide and conquer.

In addition to the complete set of charts for this trip that I referenced earlier, I also acquired two other books: “Exploring the Columbia-Snake River Inland Waterway” (Sharlene and Ted Nelson) and “Cruising the Columbia and Snake Rivers” (Sharlene Nelson and Joan LeMieux).

Regarding dates for this trip and the weather. The trip dates are set. Those wishing to go on this trip should plan around these exact dates. We will soon firm up the precise day that we will all be arriving at Hells Gate State Park to launch our vessels.

Regarding weather, there is no perfect time to go on this trip. Weather will be a daily workaround challenge on this trip and there will be some easy days and some fasten your seat belt days. The point is to plan it now and to do it, and not procrastinate. No matter what dates are selected, we have no idea what the weather will bring. We do know that if we plan to go now, that our October launch day will be overflowing with potential.

More later.
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be tied up on other projects until late August but will work on some things.
1. The Corps limits times pleasure craft can lock thru to 4 times per day. That might be a factor on daily travel on the Snake. I'm hoping with a group they will treat us like a commercial & let us go when we arrive, especially if we can give them an ETA at the next dam. This needs to be arranged in advance. Next time I'm in Lewiston/Clarkston I'll stop in the Corps office & get any pertinent regs and find out who I need to call.

2. I love the map, but am concerned about the open status of the marinas/ fuel in late October, especially since many of them are city/ county parks. I'll do some phone calling in Sept to see who will really be open. Active Captain reviews are really old on some of the sites. Over the past 30 years I've stopped at several marinas when driving by and things seldom match their web site. A few years ago I stayed at a marina in Richland, WA while attending a near by convention (boat camping was far less expensive than the convention hotel prices!) It took several phone calls to the city parks to get the information to determine if I could stay and in the 4 days there I never saw anyone from the marina/ parks staff.

If you have questions or just want to chat call me at 208-476-3123 or email at raddon@frontier.com.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: