The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/15 - 10/29 - 2017 Snake/Columbia River C-Dory Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, sorry to hear that! Prayers for you and your wife! Colby
johnpurvis

City/Region: Meridian
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Firefly
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Snake/Columbia Cruise Reply with quote

Chuck we have been excited about seeing you again but now we are saddened with your news. Kitty and I will be praying for Penny (and you). John & Kitty.
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck and Penny.

So sorry you now cannot go. We were looking forward to meeting you both.

Best of success on the surgery.

We will be thinking about you both on our trip. Maybe we will get this expedition cruise figured out and you will be able to go next year with better information from our test cruise.

We wish you a speedy recovery.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, all ready and waiting to go. The rest of you get on up here! lol. I also have one extra chart book that Tyboo gave me to pass along. During the drive down to Astoria yesterday, the River looked pretty calm, except for maybe the last 20 miles or so. Whitecaps, but not sure I saw more than 2 foot on the waves. Colby

Waiting at the Hells Gate SP Marina dock.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you got there, Colby. It was quite a jaunt for you. How was the hike down from the airport?

Cruise album is here.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 2 miles I thought it was? Yeah, that was 2 miles from the Airport Road! LOL. More like total of 5 miles. But a nice path, and all downhill. I needed the exercise after sitting for 2500 miles! Did some Geocaching along the way, and even found a nice painted rock! So no complaints! Beautiful day. Sunny and 70. Wish that was sticking around the entire river for a few weeks!

Also, just remembered. Coming out, I only had one inspection to deal with. When I came into Montana on I94, they usually have watercraft pull into that first truck weigh station, as they have a setup there. It was around 5:30p when I came thru, and the boat inspectors had already called it a day. However, there was another inspection station set up just north of Butte, and I did have to stop there. Rather quick inspection though. 38 degrees and a passing snow squall! I jokingly asked the guy if I was the only boat that day. He said I was actually number 10! Guess I'm not the only fool towing a boat through the Montana mountains! Colby
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all you C-Brats in Idaho...hope you have a great trip....very excited for your journey down the river!!!!

Have to work this week otherwise I would be on this trip with you. Live in the Portland area so have boated all of the Columbia from Cascade Locks to just shy of Astoria.

The Knotty C and Amy, Teddi and I just spent Saturday night at Beacon Rock. Beautiful weather...went up Saturday morning from Jame Gleason boat ramp near the airport to run 28 miles then back on Sunday afternoon.

When are you rolling through the Portland area and where are you spending the nights near here? If you have any issues and need a hand give a call five zero three seven twenty forty ninety.

Have a GREAT and SAFE trip!!!!

All the best,

John
TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did day one go?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knocked out the first day today. 80 miles. Actually went better than I thought. Calm waters all the way. About 20 minutes waiting at the two locks. Regarding the locks, compared to the Mississippi River locks, I've never seen water drain so fast. And no turbulence either. Would have liked to seen the water flow where it was coming out! We have seen a lot of debries in the Snake River today. In fact, the twin guys were talking about who had the biggest logs caught in front of their motors! (I promised I wouldn't say anything about how Singles seemed to be the better choice today!) Mr. Green In fact, going into the second lock, we had to push logs out of our way just to get in. Looks like we are in for rain the next few days, and had some today also. Still, shaping up to be a fun trip! I'll see if this slow internet here will allow me to upload a few photos from today to the thread's photo album. Colby
TyBoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s all good to hear. Well, not so much the rain part but the good day part is. There’s some rain going on at this end of your route too. And some 50mph winds. That’ll all clear up before you get here we hope.

Pics are great - thanks! Enjoy tomorrow.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was another good day. No rain. Calm, glassy smooth water. About 3 miles before each dam, we started seeing a lot more wood in the water again. But everyone managed to get thru without sticking (pun intended) their motors/props. We had to wait about half an hour at the second lock (Ice Harbor) as they finished some work. The lock master informed us this lockage would be a little slower than the previous ones as he would not be able to drain the water as fast. None the less, once again I was impressed with just how fast they can dump the locks. About 3 or 4 times the speed of the Mississippi locks. And just as calm as the glassy smooth water we came down on. According to the lock master at Ice Harbor, the other locks drain the water thru some pipes downstream. However, he said their lock discharges off the side, and it is an impressive show. Wish we could have seen it. I certainly heard the water roaring on the other side of the lock wall, and could even feel the vibration when the "drain" started. If you haven't yet gathered, I've done a fair share of locking on the Mississippi River and Chicago sanitary and ship canal, and thru a local little lock on one of our Madison rivers. And these Snake River locks wowed me a lot more! Very Happy We saw no tows yesterday or today, although we did see one tug heading up stream yesterday with out a load. Today's excitement was missed by all but one. I saw some deer or antelope on the port bank, and then Cat Claw had several deer swimming across the river in front of him. Docked at Cloverleaf Marina tonight in Port of Kennewick, and looks like we might just sit tight here tomorrow, due to some high wind forecasts. I'll upload today's photos to the album.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, missed the 30 minute edit limit.....change Cloverleaf to Clover Island Marina!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere earlier in the thread I posted a URL where one could follow us by my AIS transponder. Guess there were no receivers along the Snake so it did not work. However I'm told now that the link is showing my boat. If this link doesn't pull up my boat, just enter Midnight Flyer in the vessel box.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:4131207/zoom:9
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove the Columbia last night from Boardman (Pendleton) to Portland. One tug and barge heading up river at the Arlington turn. Winds out of the west, 5 to 10, minimal waves less than 1 foot. Winds increased west of The Dalles to 15 maybe 20 ahead of the rain. Heavy rain from Hood River west to Ptld. I did see the stern wheeler, Columbia Gorge just above Hood River. It is based out of Cascade Locks, and runs up as far as TriCities at times.

Good choice to hang out up river for a while. Might take a run up the Columbia towards Hanford Reach. Good wildlife viewing possibilities there.

Stay safe, and keep a weagher eye.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very windy day here yesterday. Today’s forecast has winds under 10mph but some rain. Looks like our plans today are to shoot for the Port of Arlington. Little ways beyond Boardman so it’ll be a bit of a long day. However Floyd on Far C found it and with fuel. Otherwise at least for me it would have been tight on getting between here and Hood without a fuel stop. As it didn’t look like any fuel available in between. Initially we did not know about this marina as it was not on the charts. More winds forecast this evening though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: