View previous topic :: View next topic  
sally's sister

City/Region: chesapeake bay
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: sallys sister
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: garmin 182c malfunction Reply with quote

Helo all

I've been absent...i signed out mistakenly, forgot my password, tried to get on , told my user name and password taken, etc etc...i am really helpless with these things..but , new username and stuff, and here i am..So terraplane has passed into the deltabluesky and i am Sally's Sister

Re: Garmin...Worked perfectly all summer...about a month ago, crossing the bay, moderate chop, some bit of pounding, and i get "battery alarm" warning..It is set at 11.5. Then, a bit later, both the cd player (jensen) and the garmin blanked out, went off...Garmin started right up, and 15 minutes later, off again...

At 100 hour checkup Cutter 's fine mechanic, Rob, went over all the connections, tightened things up...worked fine, then happened again.

Any ideas? Would the installation of the Jensen cd/radio combo do anything? Does moderate pounding loosen things up? Any help welcomed.

We have had a great summer..put 120 hours on the engine..good amount of travel. Just got back from trip to Baltimore in rough sea and though not pleasant, we were fine.. Experiencing first of the condensation problem in v bunk area...but since we will not be overnighting much in winter, i'll live withit. We will be keeping Sally inthe water in the slip this winter.

We are on the the gathering at Lankford Bay in June...look forward to a repeat.

tom(terraplane)
Moldy

City/Region: NEWBERG
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garmin 178c does that too and its because the battery is low or ive found loose connections at the terminals and battery was not charging correctly or at all.
sally's sister

City/Region: chesapeake bay
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: sallys sister
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: garmin blanking out Reply with quote

I plug in the shore power for a day of charge before each trip. I have two optima blue tops...battery switch on "all".... No sign when starting or otherwise of low battery...have checked cables and tightness of battery connections...and all connections behind the panel for tightness.

any further tips?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: garmin blanking out Reply with quote

sally's sister wrote:
I plug in the shore power for a day of charge before each trip. I have two optima blue tops...battery switch on "all".... No sign when starting or otherwise of low battery...have checked cables and tightness of battery connections...and all connections behind the panel for tightness.

any further tips?

I had problems for awhile with the connector to the Garmin right at the electrical panel. Mine was wired with a tab connector on the terminal side an a slip on spade on the other side. With moderate pounding, it would momentarily lose connection and the Garmin would go off. It always seemed tight when I checked it but really wasn't tight enough. My suggestion is to starting looking there - turn on the Garmin, remove the electrical panel and simulate pounding by jiggling the wires. If you can't make it go off by doing that, then go back and wiggle at the battery end. If it is the spade connection, you can make it tighter by squeezing on it with pliers.

Moldy

City/Region: NEWBERG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the garmin and cd player both going off id say check your battery voltage you may have bad battery's

I know they are the optima and fairly new but its still possible,easy to check with a volt meter
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the supply voltage for each device with both of them powered on. It sounds like a low voltage condition and you may need to put the Garmin on it's own dedicated circuit (I think I would do that anyway).
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2005 25', on which I'm trying to put an inverter. Looking in the aft stbd. (battery) compartment, I noticed that the 12 VDC power cable was corroded, where it goes to and from the power breaker.

You might check all the way from the battery to the electrical panel to see if you have any corrosion. That's the only place I found.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: