The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lower Bilge Access? Listing to starboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexsnyder

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: None
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Lower Bilge Access? Listing to starboard Reply with quote

I've got a 1999 22ft Cruiser and it's listing to starboard about 2 inches when moored, and effects how it rides. I'm wondering if there is water in the lower bilge but I can't find any floor access to any lower bilge. I've asked several mechanics and nobody knows. One thought it was under the gas tank on the starboard side. It seems like a pretty stupid design to have it back there, and I would have to pull the tank which looks like a huge pain in the butt. I'd prefer to not pull it if the access isn't under there. It looks like the bilge pump only pumps water out of the stern cockpit area for when rain water gets in there. Does anyone have any ideas or have any knowledge about this?
oldguy83

City/Region: minnesota
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their is no bilge on a 22. You will have to shift weight to make it level.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom of the 22 is what you see. As Oldguy83 said--no bilge. The bottom of the boat is about 1/4" glass on the outside, then 3/4" to 1" Balsa (newer foam) core, and finally 3/16" (approx) glass on the inside--and that is what you walk on, and what the tank is on.

You do have to look for core water penetration in any balsa cored boat. If a screw is put in the bottom (inside) water gets around it, and may get into the core. If there are screws--remove them, and test for water. The hole should be dried, then over drilled in size (but don't go thru the bottom!) , under cut the upper glass fill with thickened epoxy and then drill a new pilot hole and put the screw back in.

Yes, the weight distribution is important. Batteries, extra gear etc. The skipper's weight will be on the right, so you have to counter balance that. Usually the water tank does at least a partial job.

Welcome aboard.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex: My old 19 used to list a lot as well. There's not too much you can do about it. Weight distribution is the key (as others have stated).

As long as it doesn't affect your ride or safety then I wouldnt lose too much sleep over it. ☺

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Alexsnyder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's really good to know. Thanks for all your feedback. The only thing drilled in was the old depth finder thing which I took out and filled the holes with fiberglass epoxy. That was on the starboard side. I hope water didn't get in there and soak the balsa. I don't see how it would dry out if it is fully enclosed.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the depth sounder transducer screwed into the transom, or was it mounted on a stem which had a hole drilled thru the bottom of the boat? If thru the bottom off the boat--where was it mounted? It is very unusual to put a transducer thru the bottom of a c Dory, unless it is kept permanently, in the water and not trailered.

I don't know how you used the epoxy and glass--but the proper if it were thru the hull would be to put a plug of wood dowel where the core is, and then grind the surrounding glass down at a 6:1 taper and then lay concentric smaller circles of glass cloth (not mat). I doubt if you used "Bondo" but that is not generally accepted as a good marine material.

The glass is then faired, and painted over. If using gel coat, it is probably best to use vinyl ester resin, in that gel coat does not adhere particularly well to epoxy. Epoxy is the strongest resin to use for repairs.
Alexsnyder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the transducer was mounted on the back of the boat, a little below the water line. There were four screws that held a metal plate in place that the transducer was connected to. I cleaned everything off and used a syringe to squirt the resin into the holes. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was some sort of resin and hardener mixed like an epoxy. I thought it was a fiberglass resin, but my dad bought it and had it at his house so I don't remember exactly what it was. It seemed to work well, but I'm pulling the boat out next week so I'll double check everything. Thanks for the tip on taking care of that. I may have to re do it like you said just to be sure.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Mine did the same Reply with quote

I hated that lean....so I moved the batteries out of the back and mounted them under the V-Berth....what I did was move the porta pot forward and put in a bulkhead in back of it.....worked super...but I would not do it again...it was a pain in the rear...plus LOTS of marine quality battery cable.... interesting...the battery cable supplied with my Yamaha motor was just plain copper cables...not marine quality...

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: