HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Partition Separation Between Cabin and Forward Berthing Area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasrtruxell@cox.net

City/Region: Virginia Beach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Partition Separation Between Cabin and Forward Berthing Area Reply with quote

1999 22' C-Dory. The rivets/fasteners holding the partition up between the cabin and the forward berthing are failing. The upper end of the rivets/fasteners appear to be embedded in the underside of the bow deck, the bottom end fits through drilled holes in the partition - but this end of the rivet/fastener has failed and the partition is separating from the bottom of the deck. How best can this partition be reattached. I have several pictures showing this problem - don't know how to post here. I have emailed C-Dory Customer Services about this problem, with pictures, but haven't heard back from them yet. Has anybody encountered this problem and have recommendations as to how best to fix?[/img]
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the moderator for an Album. Then you can post photos.

The bulkhead is non structural. I probably would pry it down slightly, take sand paper and clean out the "joint". Then fill this area with some thickened epoxy (Put plastic below, so it dow not drip out, and put masking tape on the overhead, and the main cabin edge, to keep from making a mess. Pre drill 2 or 3 holes between the pop rivets (which are blindly put into the underside of the deck as you suggest). Make the hole in the bulkhead shelf just sightly larger than the screw, and the one into the deck smaller. The screw length need only be 1/2 to 5/8" long--you don't want it to go thru the deck.

You could also use 5200 there. Again, you want a clean surface. Pull the masking tape before the epoxy/sealant hardens completely.

On edit, I read your other post about some water intrusion on the lower part of this area--What was the cause of that leak? It is possible that both problems are related--that the boat was driven very hard into chop...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thomasrtruxell@cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: C-Dory Partition Separation Reply with quote

Thanks for the input - really appreciate. Believe I will have to cut off the shanks of the exposed rivets in order to close the gap between partition and underside of deck. They now pose a problem in not readily matching up to their holes in the partition. Think maybe then can use 2" x 4" (maybe 2) cut to length to push partition up and hold it while adhesive sets. Will assess a bit further today.

Don't know for sure what caused cracking/leaking at base of entryway into berthing area. Believe I did have water intrusion through port rub rail, which I have fixed, and now water intrusion through cracks in bottom of entryway have stopped.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas,
I live very close to you and would be glad to look at the issue and provide a recommended repair.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could use a couple of boards to push the petition back in place. I would try and line the Pop rivet holes up. if possible. I don't think the cabin house would "rack" since this is non structural--but I would think back as close to when the boat was built would be best.
thomasrtruxell@cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: C-Dory Partition Reply with quote

Attached partition to bottom of deck yesterday - think all well! Had to cut off rivet shanks and grind off exposed metal, drilled new holes in partition for screws, cut some 2x4s and pushed partition up, drilled pilot holes in bottom of deck for screws, removed 2x4s, ran a bead of 5200 along seam, put 2x4s back in place pushing up partition, and then used six #12 3/4"screws with lock washers through partition into lower deck. Will leave 2x4s in place this week to allow 5200 to completely set up. Believe partition matched up to where it was before it separated. Appreciate all assistance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: