The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting to Powell River by the numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Getting to Powell River by the numbers Reply with quote

I just signed up for Powell River and am now trying to figure out the logistics. Some of this information might be of interest to other Brats. Plus, others may have suggestions (or I may refer back to this post because I forget). Some info is unique to me.

I'll be leaving from Dewatto, a little town NW of Tacoma. I could drive to Tacoma and go up I-5. Computer says: 8 hour and 50 minute drive and 332 miles. I'm not sure that the 2 ferry rides on the Sunshine Coast north of Vancouver are figured in accurately, but even if they are, the drive time is actually longer than if I drive north to Port Angeles, cross to Victoria, then drive north and cross back at Little River to Powell River. Computer says: 8 hour and 48 minute drive and 218 miles. A savings of 2 minutes!! And 114 miles of driving.

The fare for crossing from Port Angeles to Victoria is $155 US and the crossing time is 1 hour 30 minutes. That seems pricey, but I calculated that the two little ferry rides required if I drive up on I-5 and the Sunshine Coast is $205 US. As with the Washington State ferries, the length of the ferry ride often doesn't correspond with the fare.

If I drive up on Vancouver Island, I have the option of not taking the Little River to Powell River ferry. In good weather conditions, I can launch at Comox, get across just as fast as the ferry, and save the $84 US fare (both ways).

Crossing on the Black Ball out of PA is always my first choice. A relaxing 90 minutes crossing the Strait and 114 less miles to drive, so there is even a $20 savings in gas (at 20 mpg).

Driving around on the mainland looks like an okay choice, if there aren't traffic problems in Tacoma, or Seattle, or Vancouver. And if there are no accidents. And if there isn't any construction on I-5. And if there's no line at the Blaine border crossing. Hah!! I can't even remember such a world.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the travel times calculated by Google maps and the like don't apply well when towing my boat.
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the I-5 route, turn off in Bellingham and go up the Guide Meridian (WA route 539) and do the Lynden crossing. It puts you on the 1A freeway to Horseshoe Bay and the crossing is significantly less busy than the Blaine crossing. Also, the traffic is much easier. You might also consider taking just the first ferry and launch at Garden Bay/ Pender Harbor and boat up Malaspina Strait, less than 30 miles to Powell River. If you get to Garden Bay in the evening there is the Gov dock and lots of places to anchor out before heading up to Powell River.

Chuck

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Living in Astoria, we naturally favor the Hood Canal/Port Angeles/Black Ball ferry route to Vancouver Island over the Sea-Tac-Oly-Tsawassen ferry / I-5 route. Aside from the beneficial effect on my blood pressure, oftimes the I-5 variant takes longer. Doubtless, starting from Seattle, the difference will be smaller for you.

Traversing Vancouver off rush hour is usually pretty smooth, but when congested, it is as big a snarl as Seattle. Two Bears suggestion of the Lynden crossing is a good one, also.

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark and anyone else considering a ferry trip to Vancouver Island this summer.
BC Ferries has there 50% off over length vehicle fares promotion on. It is only on two routes and only certain days but if it works for you it can save you half the overlength charge. Here's the link. Remember to discount about 30% from the rate to get US bucks.
http://www.bcferries.com/promotions/size-up-the-savings.html?utm_campaign=SizeUptheSavings2017&utm_medium=web&utm_source=bcfpromotions

Cheers Ron
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for that link Ron. I was just looking at the BC Ferry site for that. It is not really obvious, but it is a good savings.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: