The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Do you use dual Racor spin on type fuel/ water separator?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowday

City/Region: Lake Superior
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foxfire
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Do you use dual Racor spin on type fuel/ water separator? Reply with quote

By dual I mean that if one starts to clog you can switch to the other. Or does anyone use a pressure gauge on the vacuum side of the racor to see if it is clogging?

Next Racor question: my boat came with a PCM R080020 filter element which appears to be a substitute element on a racor body. I can not find these anywhere. Any suggestions for the right filter? I have pictures of it, and dimensions but I do not know how to post a picture on this thread.

The local mechanics are not much help on any of this.

Cheers,
Todd

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to West Marine...they carry Racor and also a cheaper brand....you can buy filters online too... what I don't like about them is that they rust on the outside rim...a filter that expensive should not rust.

I use 2 Racor filters...one for each tank...I am trying to keep everything separate as much as I can.

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I have two is not because of clogging but water in the fuel.....the filters are good water separators and it is nice to switch while draining the other...I have purchased fuel with water in it several times ....a pain to deal with...

Joel
SEA3PO
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my boat, I use a RACOR S3203 (2 micron) fuel filter and a clear bowl under it for water and debris inspection. I bought several years ago from Bass Pro online for $25 each with free shipping. Depending for boat usage, I change them once or twice a year
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When last heard of, the C-Dory 25's came with a Honda branded filter inside the aft starboard lazerette. That said, it's a Racor head which takes a Racor S3203 (2 micron) filter element, as mentioned above.

I change my filter element once a year; buying the cheapest Racor offer (with shipping) on the internet. The problem I have is trying to remove the filter element from the sediment bowl. I've started to cut the element away and then remove the black sealing ring from the clear bowl. So far, so good.

Don't forget to change the filters in the motor; fuel injection needs clean fuel. The 150 Honda has 2 filters which I also change once/year.

Boris
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
When last heard of, the C-Dory 25's came with a Honda branded filter inside the aft starboard lazerette. That said, it's a Racor head which takes a Racor S3203 (2 micron) filter element, as mentioned above.

I change my filter element once a year; buying the cheapest Racor offer (with shipping) on the internet. The problem I have is trying to remove the filter element from the sediment bowl. I've started to cut the element away and then remove the black sealing ring from the clear bowl. So far, so good.

Don't forget to change the filters in the motor; fuel injection needs clean fuel. The 150 Honda has 2 filters which I also change once/year.

Boris

Hi Boris, as a removal aid you may want to try my homemade removal "tool" that you can see in my photo album. Just fit the 'tool' in a vice or similar and it will hold the sediment bowl while you use a strap wrench or whatever on the filter.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time I am lubing thebgasket with Tef Gel paste and see if it helps
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Bears came with a Suzki filter which was quite expensive and difficult to find. After fussing about it to a dealer his suggestion was to buy the bigger Sierra filter (made for a large inboard). Then replace it yearly. The filters are inexpensive and designed to remove water as well as other "stuff." I replace it as routine on my winter overhaul and carry a spare. I had fuel filter problems my first two years until I converted. Since then no problems in 800 hours and have never needed the spare (knock on wood!).

Chuck

Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the ol' welded on sediment bowl.
Last time this happened I put the element and bowl into ice water to get everything good and cold. Then I dipped just the bowl into hot water. Presto! They came right apart.
journey on

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimoii, The problem is not how to hold the two parts so you can unwind them. My problem is that the black ring which is swaged onto the bottom of the filter sticks to the sediment bowl and slips around in the filter when I try to unwind the two parts. So far I've had to break the ring out of the sediment bowl.

I notice that you have a green o-ring on your bowl in the picture. Racor said the the green ring cured the sticking, but when I get a filter they all come with a black ring. What P/N did you order?

Chester, Thanks for the tip. I'll use it next year when I change the filter.

Boris
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
chimoii, The problem is not how to hold the two parts so you can unwind them. My problem is that the black ring which is swaged onto the bottom of the filter sticks to the sediment bowl and slips around in the filter when I try to unwind the two parts. So far I've had to break the ring out of the sediment bowl.

I notice that you have a green o-ring on your bowl in the picture. Racor said the the green ring cured the sticking, but when I get a filter they all come with a black ring. What P/N did you order?

Chester, Thanks for the tip. I'll use it next year when I change the filter.

Boris

My apologies but I just bought the replacement filters at Sherwood Marine in Saanich. Don't know the part number.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another way to deal with the sticking bowl. I drill a small hole through the filter and the black ring and put a screw in the hole. This keeps the black ring from turning while removing the bowl. I do have to use strap wrenches or large pliers to turn the parts.
Snowday

City/Region: Lake Superior
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: Foxfire
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

Boris

Hey Boris, that filter is a special order. Is there anything more common? Thanks, Todd
journey on

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

I buy the S3203 filters through the internet where they are in stock. Delivery is a couple of days. As an example Amazon has 3 for $55, delivery by June 12. So for that filter, you need to plan ahead.

Here's a link to a cross reference page for the S3203: http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.de7b26ee6a659c147cf26710237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=fcc9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextcatid=2934918&vgnextcat=S3203&vgnextfmt=EN

West Marine has 10 micron elements in stock; they're Racor S3240. So do many of the other dealers.

I use the 2 micron element since the engine is fuel injected and I worry about the gas I buy. Not the ethanol.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: