The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What people say about our boat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just taken possession of my boat after the seatrial some people at the dock with a canoe said: “now that’s a fishing machine, wow and they handle so well in rough water with that deep-V”. Enjoying the complement I didn’t feel like correcting them.

The next day on the south Puget Sound two canoes after dark came out of the pitch black while we were anchored up with some candle light. At first it was a bit weird but then one of them went on raving about C-Dorys and how he recalled seeing a 16 footer with a 60 on it out in as he put it “crazy” seas across the Juan defuca straight. The guy couldn’t stop praising our boats.

Too funny.

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning at the Clinton Marina a lady from a house boat joined us for coffee She said we must all be nice people because we live in boats that look like "bathtub toys." Now that's a new one! And we like it!

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised at the complimants from big fancy boats in marina,also on lake erie when many people say nice things about boat.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now. I didn't even have the boat and I still was getting questions. I was driving my truck last week, and at the gas station, a gentleman came over and asked me how I liked my boat. Well first he asked me if that was my truck. Then I realized I was in the truck without the boat, and I had forgotten. I have a nonstandard license plate as a gift from my sister, and it is "C Dory 22" and I had blanked out about it.

So it only took about 10 minutes to get his questions answered and direct him to this web site. He said he had seen it before and really liked the look of the boats. It was fun to get to chat about the boats, the site and see someone interested in some like interests.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing our newly purchased and VERY badly neglected C-22 home from South Texas. I forgot to bring a license plate from another trailer to put on it to tow it home and was pulled over by the Highway Patrol.
He asked about no license plate and I said that I had just purchased the boat and asked him if he would like to see the title and bill of sale.
The boat was in such sad shape, he said "don't bother, no one would steal that boat."
A bunch of restoration work and we now get the "cute boat" comments.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasair wrote:
Bringing our newly purchased and VERY badly neglected C-22 home from South Texas. I forgot to bring a license plate from another trailer to put on it to tow it home and was pulled over by the Highway Patrol.
He asked about no license plate and I said that I had just purchased the boat and asked him if he would like to see the title and bill of sale.
The boat was in such sad shape, he said "don't bother, no one would steal that boat."

Good to see the police doing their job. Up here in my state you tons of people towing boats and trailers in bad shape. No lights, license plates, lack of safety chains, the list goes on and on. Idiots.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasair wrote:

Good to see the police doing their job. Up here in my state you see tons of people towing boats and trailers in bad shape. No lights, license plates, lack of safety chains, the list goes on and on. Idiots.
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - I have no license plate on my trailer or on the boat. I’ve taken it all over the place since please cling it up in sept - no one seems to care the local river police and coast guard wave at me as I pilot right past them. Too funny
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there are many that don't think their trailers need to be licensed. And usually the misunderstanding is because most states don't require trailers under 3000 lbs to be licensed. However, that is for gross weight. All of us towing at least the CD-22 and up, have trailers with gross weights over 3000 lbs. If you are towing your boat/trailer with out a license, so far you've been fortunate. You are liable to be pulled over for towing an unlicensed trailer. Really no different than driving your car around without a license. Just saying... As for the boat, I assume you have registration numbers on it? I can pretty much guarantee at least here in Wisconsin, if the Sheriff water patrol don't see numbers on your boat, you will see their blue light... Colby
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: nice boat Reply with quote

There are really two kinds of boaters here on the Gulf coast, fishermen (majority) and others. Fishermen, mostly bay boaters, can not understand why anyone would want a "boat like that?". The other group are great admirers, as this boat is so unique to the area. "Bet that boat could go anywhere", is the most common comment.
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: nice boat Reply with quote

There are really two kinds of boaters here on the Gulf coast, fishermen (majority) and others. Fishermen, mostly bay boaters, can not understand why anyone would want a "boat like that?". The other group are great admirers, as this boat is so unique to the area. "Bet that boat could go anywhere", is the most common comment.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which would give you most personal satisfaction: ginormous compliments
about your cooking, your boat, your wife or your smile?

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Keeping your priorities in check is more important
than scrutinizing your bank statement."

Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would have to say I get the most satisfaction from “smiling watching my wife cooking on the boat”

I guess that’s better than “smiling as I cook my wife on the boat”
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the boat, I assume you have registration numbers on it? I can pretty much guarantee at least here in Wisconsin, if the Sheriff water patrol don't see numbers on your boat, you will see their blue light... Colby

Documented vessels do not display registry numbers. Most of the C Dorys can be documented if you wish.

Wife.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I think it would be hard to document a 22/23v or 19. And I don't really see the need to do it for a 25, 255 or 26 Venture. Can you explain your rationale? This excerpt was taken from the USCG page.

"WHAT IS VESSEL DOCUMENTATION?
Vessel documentation is a national form of registration. It is one of the oldest functions of Government, dating back to the 11th Act of the First Congress. Documentation provides conclusive evidence of nationality for international purposes, provides for unhindered commerce between the states, and admits vessels to certain restricted trades, such as coastwise trade and the fisheries. Since 1920, vessel financing has been enhanced through the availability of preferred mortgages on documented vessels.

For more information, visit Brochure_Documentation_and_Tonnage.pdf.
Top of Page

WHAT VESSELS MAY BE DOCUMENTED?
A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S.
Top of Page

MUST MY VESSEL BE DOCUMENTED?
Vessels of five net tons or more used in fishing activities on navigable waters of the U.S. or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), or used in coastwise trade must be documented unless the vessel is exempt from documentation. Coastwise trade is generally defined as the transportation of merchandise or passengers between points in the U.S. or the EEZ. In addition, towboats operating between points in the U.S. or the EEZ or between the EEZ and points in the U.S. and dredges operating in the U.S. or the EEZ must be documented.
Top of Page

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY VESSEL MEASURES FIVE NET TONS?
Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's useful capacity, expressed as a volume (gross tonnage minus deductible spaces). It should not be confused with the vessel's weight or total cargo carrying capacity, which may also be expressed in tons. Vessels of more than 25 feet are likely to measure five net tons or more under the Simplified Measurement System, although, they may measure less than five net tons if formally measured. For information about how tonnages are determined, including the Adobe Acrobat simplified measurement form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Center's web site at the Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: