View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Glacier Bay, SE Alaska fishing hotspots Reply with quote

Hi there Brats,

For those fortunate enough to ply the waters of SE Alaska, particularly the Hoonah, Glacier Bay, Icy Straight region, can you share some halibut/salmon hot spot areas to fish? I am heading that way in a couple of weeks and would really like to narrow my search down a bit to get into some fish. Thanks in advance.

Grazer on C-Horse
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only been there once but I did see more then a few people fishing in side glacier bay for halibut. Not far from the entrance. Mostly east of young island. Also South Inian pass and Mud bay are just south of that.

we did very little salmon fishing but it was all out side of Elffin Cove by a lsland called three hills. I got a 105 lbs halibut and the rest got smaller ones from 85 to 45 pounds. All the halibut fishing was done on anchor

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to go? It all depends on the tide, wind, and what you're looking for.
if you make it to Elfin Cove, look me up and I'll gladly point you to some spots. I can be found on the big cat "Eagle Scout" or hanging out at the Cross Sound lodge bunkhouse.
I've met a number of good folks from Whitehorse and Yellowknife. Elfin Cove seems to be popular boating & fishing hang-out for folks from that area
I have one more week of freedom before reporting for summer duty at the prison labor camp

good luck,
ken

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everywhere! Just keep an eye on tides, currents and winds. SE can be tough to predict with so many channels between islands and BIG big big big tides. I've had the tide change and glass flat turn into 10' steeeeep swells. That's definitely not common, but you're going to want to stay tuck into spots that are comfortable. You'll find fish there.

For salmon, troll near structure. For halibut, fish holes and peaks.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, enjoy this last week of freedom, fella. Maybe you could keep us posted with a kind of summer prison chronicle.
Grazer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's fellas. Looking forward to our trip. Here's hoping for nice weather and favourable seas.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, one nice thing about the prison labor camp is that the internet is spotty. I might spend less than an hour all summer on the net and even less time watching the tv....it's kind of a nice reprieve from reality and politics (which is often not based in reality).

Grazer- if your going in the next few weeks, most of the boats chasing salmon will be out in the gulf, Yakobi rock, surge bay & deer harbor. It's not to bad of a run out there from Glacier, a person just needs to mindful to not hit north or south pass on a strong ebb tide. Fuel wise, there is a good gas station in elfin cove.

If I was up there just poking around on my own, I would look in Dundas for Halibut, probably just because I can't go in there with a charter boat & the shop teacher from Whitehorse goes in there and regularly brings in some nice fish

If you do end up hanging around and fishing for spell, we have in the past vacuum packed and frozen fish for folks passing through, but keep in mind the law still looks at those fish as "in possession" if they're on your boat

have a safe trip
Grazer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good advise. I heard that fishing is pretty good in GB itself as most people there are sightseeing, not fishing. Pretty excited to do both!
Thanks for the info.
Tenacious C

City/Region: Haines
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Tenacious C
Photos: Tenacious C
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Haines now with a similar plan to work my way in the direction of Icy Straight/Glacier Bay in 2-3 weeks.Any advice on the best route down the Lynn Canal ? The Eldred Rock observations have shown to blow into the 20"s almost daily the last couple of weeks or so now that I've been checking .I assume that is the worst section and could be avoided by going down the west side inside Sullivan on a decant day ?
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Icy Strait, Glacier Bay H-but fishing Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. Would have loved to make the connection and shown you a few spots. We have a cabin in that vicinity and lived there seasonally. My wife had a deep stroke spring of 18 and we doubt we will be back except for me a week each summer. The 22 cruiser is still up there.

Friends who subsistence fish said halibut were well down the summer of 2018. Don't know if it was just an off year or the 30 charter boats working our area have depleted the fishery.

When we catch a big one everyone wants to know where we fished. I tell them it's easy to find. We just put an X on the side of the boat at the spot.

My idea of a tragedy is a deduction killed by a fact.

2008 22 Cruiser 2017-present
2003 Alumaweld Intruder 2012-present
feris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
Where to go? It all depends on the tide, wind, and what you're looking for.
if you make it to Elfin Cove, look me up and I'll gladly point you to some spots. I can be found on the big cat "Eagle Scout" or hanging out at the Cross Sound lodge bunkhouse.
I've met a number of good folks from Whitehorse and Yellowknife. Elfin Cove seems to be popular boating & fishing hang-out for folks http://realmoneyslotsmobile.com that area
I have one more week of freedom before reporting for summer duty at the prison labor camp

good luck,
ken

Agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: