View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: New Air Conditioner idea Reply with quote

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-breeze-the-world-s-coolest-portable-ac-unit#/

A kick starter campaign for a small air conditioner. May be an idea for a C-Dory.

I have NO interest in this product.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it would be sufficient. Depends on where you cruise. C-Dorys are not insulated. In No. VA summers my 5000BTU window unit is barely adequate on some days. 1100 BTUs probably would not cut it.

However, the Zero breeze unit is more portable. It could be directly wired into the boat DC electric system. With either the battery or direct wiring you could run it while the boat is cruising (which is difficult with a regular window AC unit). You'd have to sort out what to do with the exhaust hose and water drain line if you used it in the cabin though.

IMO, the night light is unnecessary and the Bluetooth speaker thing is just silly.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ssobol. The 1100 BTU is not a lot of cooling. But the BTU is not the whole story--we don't know what the cu. foot per min output is. you could use fans in the V berth area to circulate the air.

I suspect if you fully insulted the forward cabin, including a "door" (could be bubble foil or foil covered styrofoam "sheets", that you probably could get that area to 20* below outside ambient temp. You would have to have a bucket for the condensate (you could collect the water for washing dishes etc). Plus the "hose" has to go out an open window, to get rid of the heat removed from the air.

We used the 5,000 BTU window unit on our25, blowing into the cabin, where the outside was about 105, and got the cabin (with bubble mylar insulation on the windows) down to 85 degrees--certainly more comfortable. The 22, you can get a little lower.

There have been several boaters who have used the window units, with ducting to blow cold air under a jacket to cool their body when at the helm...

Some of the photos on the web site are ridiculous. Sitting out of doors, and blowing on a group of folks on a pontoon boat for example.

Living in Florida, we find the breeze is adequate during the day, but when in the 90's at night-sure nice to have AC.--or a really good breeze.

The 18650 battery is common enough--I use it in one of my portable radio receivers. (Tesla does use this battery in the current higher priced cars--The battery is 16mm diameter x 65 mm long. In the larger battery pack there are 7104 batteries, the smaller 5376 batteries. The new Series 3 is rumored to be using a new larger battery: 21mm diameter x 70 mm long).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be easier to add/carry something like this to a C-dory and even power it without a generator given the right combo of portable battery and large house battery. Still power hungry at 12.5 amps and the limited BTUs is a concern. I suppose if you positioned it to blow into the berth it would at least do much better than a fan alone. The weight would be very manageable for nearly anyone. The portable battery may provide enough run-time to get to bed and sleep until the cooler part of the morning but then how do you charge it back up for the next night.

If you were plugged into shore power it would be small to carry and likely adequate for the sleeping space.

I too found the outdoor use pictures silly at best. People are more excited about their gadgets than the activity they are supposed to be enjoying.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Nope, these folks removed their back galley side window.... Reply with quote

And saved it, replaced w/ plywood and a window ac, also had a freezer in the v berth potty storage area.
Thanks
Roger
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
I too found the outdoor use pictures silly at best.

And wearing bathing suits next to the water.

Hey, I've got an idea on how to cool off!!! It's my new "Go Jump in the Lake" thermal cooler. For less than $800 each I'll push them in. Maybe do them all a favor and hold them under.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: