View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Cool things I saw at the boat show Reply with quote

Hi, So I went back to the show on Monday to spend a little time taking a long look at neat new stuff, if i could find any. Well I found lots of new little things and even picked up some gossip of future releases. So I thought I would share some of them each day. and I hope that some of you will share what you saw. So here is the first one

http://www.interactio.co/optio-fuel

So I ran into the owner inventor of this neat little project. its a simple wireless fuel flow monitor that requires no wires and is more accurate then the flow scan ( which I have on my boat now) it also has a lot more information available to the user. You can monitor it from you wireless device of your choice. It calculates fuel used, fuel remaining, MPH vs GHP to give you your best efficiency and even continuously calculates the highest speed you can run for the least amount of fuel and displays it on the map as your EcoRange optimized cruise. It does all this and a little more, follow the link, for 299.00 dollars. The flow scan is http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/modelselection.php 510 to 900 depending on which model you need. That's per motor. If you are looking at twin diesel you will need two per motor. Thats 299 x 4 or 645 x 4. $1200 or $2550. Thats a big savings. I am considering replacing the flow scan if anyone wants one. make a offer.

ON edit. they have a twin diesel show special for $959.00

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, That Optio Fuel is cool. I called to confirm the lowest flow measurement that works and it's 1 gallon per hour. Think it would work on my 40 Yami twins except at idle. Nice. And it works on Android as will as Eye stuff.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good stuff please............ and thank you!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Faria flow meter on my CD 16 Yamaha 40, which is overkill if using it to gauge optimum cruising efficiency. Optimizing my fuel usage from 8.1 to 8.2 miles per gallon doesn't justify spending $200.

When it works, it reads down to .2 gph. But when cruising along at just above idle, it doesn't show anything because fuel usage is too low, although it (reportedly) still keeps track of total usage. Total usage is it's major benefit for me. The first couple of times I used it, it kept track of total usage down to 1/10 of a gallon on my 23 gallon tank. That's a lot better than my flopping needle gauge. With the analog needle gauge, I can usually guess within about 4 gallons of empty depending on sea conditions. So, when the fuel flow meter works it is great, especially when filling the tank and knowing the amount needed within a 10th of a gallon.

The problem has been that after several hours of cruising at fast idle, which is "zero gallons per hour," the sensor unit doesn't work properly when I throttle up. My understanding is that it is a little paddle wheel and a light. I've tapped it a few times to get it going, but forgetting to do that a few times for 15 minutes throws everything off. Working intermittently isn't good enough. It could be that a mere 3 gallons per hour (about my max) isn't enough hydraulic force to get things spinning again.

I haven't bothered to mess with it yet, but I did find a replacement fuel measuring unit with the same sensitivity for about $40. It's called a DigiFlow and there's a picture of it in my photos of my gas tank install. The "micro" model is reportedly sensitive enough for smaller outboards. The sending unit looks almost identical to the Faria.

One reason for not installing the DigiFlow is that it doesn't have a standard 2" gauge that fits on my dash (which now has a hole for the Faria gauge). Not a big deal, but I also don't see a dash mount gauge for Optio Fuel. That would be my preference. I don't need more clutter in the ditty box next to the helm.

The $200 price difference between the DigiFlow and the Optio Fuel is probably because one is for a boat. Very Happy

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These turbine type of fuel flow meters often require a filter inline before the meter. Good find--and interesting app. Cost is going to be fairly close to what a Garmin sensor, plus the NMEA 2000 setup will be.

Be interesting to see how they hold up--You could have this on the I pad--along with the navigation and tide apps etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it.

Why monitor instant readout mpg, gph? Time proven fuel management is the
"Rules of Thirds". One third of your fuel supply to get to your destination, one
third to get home and one third for emergency use. Plus, if the fuel gauge falls
below 1/4, refuel now. It's worked for me for over 1/4 century.

Moreover, boaters who spend tens of thousands of dollars on their chosen craft,
more on the trailer, even more on the tow vehicle are wanting data, instantaneous
data, on fuel use which amounts to only several dollars per hour. Then, spending
hundreds more for gadgets to see fuel 'flow' on your smart phone (hundreds more
every month) is a mystery to me. Trying to "save fuel" with all these expenses to
do so - why not put the many hundreds spent on unnecessaries into just more
fuel?

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "If it's not broken, don't mess with it."

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
I don't get it.

Why monitor instant readout mpg, gph? Time proven fuel management is the
"Rules of Thirds". One third of your fuel supply to get to your destination, one
third to get home and one third for emergency use. Plus, if the fuel gauge falls
below 1/4, refuel now. It's worked for me for over 1/4 century.
Moreover, boaters who spend tens of thousands of dollars on their chosen craft,
more on the trailer, even more on the tow vehicle are wanting data, instantaneous
data, on fuel use which amounts to only several dollars per hour. Then, spending
hundreds more for gadgets to see fuel 'flow' on your smart phone (hundreds more
every month) is a mystery to me. Trying to "save fuel" with all these expenses to
do so - why not put the many hundreds spent on unnecessaries into just more
fuel?

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "If it's not broken, don't mess with it."

1. Many of our boats do not have fuel gauges. If we have the gauges, they often are not accurate. (The 22's have semi translucent tanks where you can get an approximation of fuel level in the right light.)

2. Many of us take voyages where there is no "out and back"--we take a route, for example in AK., where fuel stops are few and far between. Thus we may run part of the time at higher speeds, to make a pass at the proper time, or to have enough daylight, vs low displacement speed to save fuel. An accurate amount of fuel used/remaining will determine what speed to run. We used this combination to do a run which was beyond what we would have considered our "normal range".

3. It is of value to know what is your most efficient speed (fuel consumption) for the conditions: This may mean the way the boat is loaded, the altitude or the sea conditions.

4. Many do want to get the best "mileage"The fuel burn depends on the way the boat is trimmed (engine trim and trim tabs). With the flow gauge, you get this almost instantly and can make adjustments. Not only the cost of fuel, but having enough fuel to make the trip is important.

5. I'll give another example--Pat Anderson, is concerned about one particular run on the "Great Loop". A fuel flow gauge will allow him to calculate the miles which he can run, with the current which he has pushing him. This is totally unknown from previous experience, and will allow him to decide if he needs to have a fuel truck meet him at a launching ramp, or if he can make the run with the 100 gallons of fuel he carries. It will also allow him to adjust the speed (fuel consumption) to make the run, if necessary without re-fueling.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob for answering that question. I try to deal with positive question. How does it work, what it will do, what benefits it has. No " why bother" . If you have to ask that then its not for you and I don't know why you would bother committing. Wink
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no gauge with the Opti Fuel, so no hole in the dash. It works through an app on either an I-Pad or I-Phone or an Android device and connects via Blue Tooth.

As to Why. I agree with the rule of thirds, but as Bob mentions, there are frequently times when there is no "out and back" and optimizing the fuel burn for the greatest efficiency is a way of being sure I can make it to the next fuel stop. With the Opti Fuel, it actually displays a map and using GPS function for speed and position, puts you in the middle of a circle. There are actually two circles. One shows your max range at current settings and a second, green circle that shows what your max range would be if you optimize settings, (trim, and throttle) for maximum performance.

For twin OB's it will take two units. Not sure how that works with one blue tooth device.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Foggy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some wordy catharsis about not always "out and back" requiring
optional fuel data from gadgets:

How did we (safely) get anywhere on the water before these fancy
unnecessary somewhat complicated new fangled expensive gauges
were available? Invent sailbotes?

Oh, do you realize gasoline currently is relatively cheap?

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "Sailbotes sailed before motorboats."
Grandpa used to say, "There's a difference between wanting and needing."
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like "new fangled gadgets" ....but then again I also loved GPS when it first came out, while many of my friends preferred a chart and compass. I also have radar even though I hate fog and have no plans to enter it, but you never-never know.

I also purchased a fancy new gadget called a fishfinder/GPSchartplotter when they first came out. Some of my 'older' fishing friends insisted it was a waste of money. Interestingly all of them now use fishfinder/chartplotters.

I even have one of those new 'epirb' thingy's albeit I have never seen it actually work. I'm also shopping for an AIS system Rolling Eyes

Last edited by BTDT on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:

Aye.

Foggy-

I not only agree with you on this, but feel the same way about a lot of the other stuff people put on boats these days, except that a good GPS, radar, and VHF radio are essential when traveling in fog prone areas, particularly around lots of other marine traffic.

For some, it looks like boating has become their way of taking their computer/high tech/electronics/software hobby offshore and out of their office/home. But as they say, "to each his or her own*", and" your mileage may vary".

* his/her/or variable, as proposed now for Californians.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Foggy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Aye.

Foggy-

I not only agree with you on this, but feel the same way about a lot of the other stuff people put on boats these days, except that a good GPS, radar, and VHF radio are essential when traveling in fog prone areas, particularly around lots of other marine traffic.

For some, it looks like boating has become their way of taking their computer/high tech/electronics/software hobby offshore and out of their office/home. But as they say, "to each his or her own*", and" your mileage may vary".

* his/her/or variable, as proposed now for Californians.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Joe,

Thanks for the (rare) kudo.

I'm "on board" with you 100%; fixation on gadgets vs passages.

Aye.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that new gadget and if my boat consumed more than .3 gallons per hour at hull speed which is as fast as I can go, I'd buy one because I'm a nerd. And being a nerd makes any new gadget a worth while investment.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: