The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Bilge Pump Reply with quote

I am about to install a bilge pump in the depression by the boat plug. I was wondering what brand and model of pump people are using, internal/external float, size, etc...?

Fred
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little pump C-Dory installs there has worked well for us. I had the same pump in the engine room of our 29' sailboat and it kept the bilge there nice and dry with minimal electrical draw.

Ours really only runs when it rains, we rarely get water on board over the rails.

-- Chuck
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're after an automatic, and you're thinking about the Rule pump, be sure and get the Rule Platinum. They have a computerized memory that allows them to "learn" how often to cycle. The ones installed in some of the new CD's that the owners have found so annoying are not the Platinum model, but the next step down. Those seem to cycle on to test for water at predetermined intervals that are much too frequent. At least that's my take on it. The TyBoo22 had a Rule Platinum 500 gph pump that worked great for rainwater draining. It might go as long as four hours before checking for water, but if it found some, it would check again sooner. It always worked without bugging me.

If you're concerned about the boat sinking before a computerized or preset pump will come on, the only thing that will give you peace of mind is a float switch or other water detection means.

I also had a cheap (real cheap) manually switched pump in the rear sump that I used when washing down the deck. Neither of the pumps were adequate for swamping situations. Somebody on here said that a scared skipper with a bucket was unbeatable for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: