The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cell Phone Coverage Cruising BC (& launching)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Cell Phone Coverage Cruising BC (& launching) Reply with quote

Howdy folks,

Assuming our summer cruising plans come to fruition, in early July we plan to tow the boat into Canada to launch and cruise points north and south of there. We hope to attend the Powell River gathering, see Princess Louisa Inlet, Desolation Sound, the Gulf Islands, Victoria Harbour, etc. I'm researching many things, like acceptable launch ramps that will also provide us with the capability of safely parking our vehicle/trailer for several weeks, and the practicality of cell phone coverage while cruising those waters. Our cell phone carrier is Verizon, but we have no idea what their service coverage is like in the areas we plan to visit. We suspect we will be out of cell range in many of the locations, but rather than just guess we thought we should ask our knowledgeable C-Brats buddies for input. What might we expect?

And since I am asking, I've read posts on launch ramps and parking, but most of the posts discuss parking for just a couple of days. We literally want several weeks. Any suggestions? I've seen ramps in Pender Harbour, Comox, Secret Cove, Sechelt and a few other places, but I've yet to actually place calls to inquire about the possibility of long-term parking. Any suggestions regarding locations and/or specific marinas I should research?

Thanks for whatever feedback you might be able to offer.

Rob (& Mary)
LakeHouse4305

State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Verizon and had no issues in the Gulf Islands last year - - can't speak to the Sunshine Coast and north of Vancouver. Make sure you contact Verizon before you leave however... we had to add Canada service to our plan and also make sure we would have sufficient data to get weather reports and check marina websites, etc. Think it was $10 a month extra but these plans change regularly so don't know current details.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

On Cell Phone coverage. I have Verizon also. Last summer I had a plan that allowed me to call to US or Canada. I paid $2 for the first call in 24 hours, (say 0800) and if I only made one call in the following 24 hours it was that $2 fee. But if I made 20 calls in the next 23 hours and 59 minutes, there was no additional "day charge", then if I waited for 6 more days and made a call, I got another $2 charge for another 24 hour period to make as many or few calls as I wanted. There was always a warning text sent at the end of the 24 hours so I would be aware I was getting to the end of the call period. (If I remember, it came at the 23rd hour.) I think Verizon has a different plan now.

With all that said, there are many, (actually most) of the places I was, there was no cell service. Most of my time was spent north of Campbell River. I would not plan on service unless you are scheduling with a marina and ask them specifically about service. Some of them have wifi, and sometimes you can call on the wifi, Some places the wifi will have enough speed to do that --(Port Harvey was one where it worked.) Some of the places will add an extra charge for wifi, some don't. Some boats have Cell boosters and can talk a long ways from towns, and in some areas (Johnstone Strait for one,) the towers at Alert Bay cover a lot of miles over the water there.

In general, I wouldn't plan on cell use for much. Just too spotty, unless you are staying in the marinas. It may be better farther south. Close to the boarder, (San Juans and Juan de Fuca) the Canadian towers will pick up your calls and you may get notice and billing from Canadian Cell Companies.

For parking, especially up north on Vancouver Island, I would highly recommend Building 29 at Telegraph Cove. Great area for boating, good parking and secure, and a wash deck. Pay by day, week or month, and plenty of room.
Pacific Playground was OK, not fancy and parking was snug, but they were nice to work with and they also have a wash deck.

Hope that helps some.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 dollar charge Harvey is referring to is called "travel pass" by Verizon. They recently upped the charge on this to 5$ per day but it otherwise works the same way and can be opted in or out of daily.

We use it as well for our north of the border travels and enjoy the option.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Castaway

City/Region: Campbell River
State or Province: BC
Photos: Castaway
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob (& Mary),

We live off-the-grid in the Discovery Islands of Campbell River.

We rely on cell phones. There are no landlines. The Telus network seems to provide the best coverage locally. You should find reasonable cell signal from the border all the way to Campbell River. We do not venture much north of here on the water, except for short stints. I cannot speak to the quality of cell service in the waters to the north.

As for launch ramps/parking, there are a few in Campbell River, but I don't know much about them. The one we pass by on most town trips does not look like a great place to park for any length of time.

When we need a ramp, we use the one at the government dock at Heriot Bay on Quadra Island. It's a good concrete ramp, easily usable at any tide. There is a large parking lot there and it is fairly inexpensive. We have kept a pickup truck parked there for years with no problems. We pay about $300 a year, which includes some use of the dock as well. You can pay for daily or monthly parking (maybe weekly too, not sure). Ditto for moorage and the dock has power and water.

So, depending on your travel plans and trailering, Quadra Island is worth considering. You can get there from downtown C. River by a ferry that sails every hour. The crossing is only 10 minutes. It's then an easy and well-marked 10-minute drive across Quadra from the ferry at Quathiaski Cove to Heriot Bay. The ferry is inexpensive because the distance is short. You pay coming over, but not going back.

If you have further questions about this area, just ask.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
They recently upped the charge on this to 5$ per day

We were quoted $5. per day from Virgin Mobile as well. When you cross the border they send you a text asking if you want to roam in that country. If you do you text back "roam". You are charged $5. only on the days that you use it. You must have(or upgrade to) an unlimited plan for this to work. You can switch back to your previous plan when you return home.

Regards, Rob

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a US plan and turn on the international travel option, I believe that the Verizon surcharge for Canada is US$2 per 24 hours. It starts when you send or receive a call or text and allows you to use the phone against your normal plan for the next 24 hours. You will get a message from Verizon when the 24 hours are about to expire. If the 24 hours expires, you will not get charged the $2 until you use the phone again, starting another 24 hour period. The $2 thing does not include data, just calls and texts.

Don't know what the Verizon coverage is in the area you plan on traveling though.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago we went to Desolation Sound and got a call from my brother in San Diego. Judy gets the Verzion Canadian plan and I assume that the service is good. Us cruisers tend to forget there are real people that live in those places and they want phone coverage too.

Boris
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reopening this thread. Looking for ramp and parking suggestions on Vancouver Island near the Victoria Airport, Nanaimo and Campbell River. On the southern end, I'd be parked for no more than 2 weeks. Nanaimo could be 2 -5 weeks, and Campbell River area would be just shy of 4 weeks. Thanks. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider a WeBoost, cellular telephone amp and pre amp. It will extend the range, as long as you have line of sight. We have on occasion had a range of more than 50 miles from a cell tower. There is a marine antenna, which has radials, or you can use the car antenna (very small, and not as efficient) with a pizza dish as a ground plane.

We found in the some of the more remote marinas, there would be a WiFI, and although often slow, it was fine for weather. Also the public Wharfingers or dock masters are always a wonderful source of information. Often weather reports and outlooks will be posted.

When we were out of cell range-- Pretty good Coverage by Weather service marine broadcast. At times we relied on weather via fax (or radio with fax conversion)

You need to know the forecast areas, and stations, with frequencies: Blow it up and keep it handy.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

We make two or three vehicle trips a year to BC to visit relatives, mostly on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, but also up above Whistler a hundred miles from Vancouver. Rather than tack on to our ATT phone, we add minutes to an inexpensive flip phone which we bought at Walmart, just off Hwy 19, near McKenzie, in Victoria. We built up an extensive list of contacts on that phone, all BC-centric. These cheap plans, about $35CAN for 3000 minutes of voice in Canada only, also allow unlimited text, usable to both CAN and US contacts. No folderal with the provider, and inexpensive to replace if it falls out of a shirt pocket and does a swim.

We never use up the minutes on a week's visit, but the card usually expires before we return, so we just re-up with a spare card at the beginning of the next visit.

On the ramp side, we have used Ladysmith quite a bit. Out of the way, quiet town, decent services, cheap launch, and you can make parking arrangements near the ramp. Central location for going S or N in the Gulf Islands.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate Post...

Last edited by colbysmith on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, that's a great diagram to have of the weather stations and locations. Thanks. I just figured out how to download and save it!

Bob and Dave, Regarding cell service, not my question. That was from the original poster. However, my family does share Verizon with some other family members, and we simply increase our data plan when traveling across either border. Mexico and Canada Calls and data are then allowed as part of our regular US plan! Works good for us.

Quote:
On the ramp side, we have used Ladysmith quite a bit. Out of the way, quiet town, decent services, cheap launch, and you can make parking arrangements near the ramp. Central location for going S or N in the Gulf Islands.

Thanks Dave. I'll look into that one. I may end up changing my whole take on earlier launch planning. Sure will be glad once the 16th comes and passes. I'll be on the water, and launch and/or parking facilities will all be behind me! Mr. Green Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, any recommendations for up in the Campbell River area? This would be to trailer the boat on up to cruise in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. Hardee suggested the ramp at Campbell River, and storage at CJ's storage, although I'm still looking that one up. Colby
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never boated in the CR area, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: