The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Two issues CD 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Two issues CD 25 Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find my questions answered so here goes:
1. I have the SeaDog bow anchor roller that pivots. When I weigh anchor if the anchor comes in too much it slams into the roller and causes it to pivot up. Then the SeaDog slams down on the upper bow gel coat and has chipped it off. Any reason why I can't drill and bolt so there is no pivoting?
2. Around the cockpit we have noticed a strong gasoline smell. After sniffing around all spaces I am convinced it is coming from the gas tank vents(one on each side). I temporally taped them closed and did not notice the smell then. Has anyone an idea how to stop the smell since the vents need to be left open?

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pivoting pulpit is often installed to aid in the self-launching of the anchor when used with a windlass. If you feel like you don't need that tilting feature for your anchoring, I would make any change you like and a simple hole drilled and bolt or two installed could likely convert your roller into a fixed unit.

A gas smell in the cockpit of a 25 is not too common but you do have a newer model than we owned and I am not sure what material they used. I would open up the inspection hatches in the floor of the cockpit and make darn sure the smell is not coming from that area underfoot (leaking tank or tank connections) before pursuing any vent investigation. Some of the tanks on this model have sprung leaks but yours seems a bit new to have that problem. Ours had a leaky tank at only 4 years old.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Greg's comment about the fuel tanks, age doesn't necessarily matter - on a previous boat of mine there was a defect from the fuel tank manufacturer that caused a pinhole leak within the first couple of years, which the tank factory and boat factory (Arima) replaced at no charge. The hole was in the upper 1/3 of the tank, so it would only leak small amounts into the bilge when the tank was relatively full, resulting in occasional gasoline odors in the boat. But that was a relatively easy problem to identify and fix with the poly tank mounted under the splashwell...not sure how difficult such a problem might be to trace down on a 25, but a fuel sheen on top of the bilge water after repeated flushing of the bilge was the giveaway there was a leak somewhere.

On the current boats, they are using venting gas caps, and I have not had any fuel odors in my boat that uses these. If the source of your odors is indeed the vents as you suspect, maybe a possible modification would be to remove/seal your vents and change the caps to the current style (described in another thread about the differences in the 2017 25's). I'm sure there would be a lot more to the process than just the caps though.

-Mike

BBlalock

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my sniffing around meant I opened every possible opening and tried to determine if it was gas in the gas tank space. Nothing was detected, and I do have a very good nose.
BBlalock

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about the gas caps. I looked at the Perko site and it says boats before 2011 and then boats after 2011. Mine is a 2013 so it seems I should have the newer fill. My cap looks like nothing more than a threaded cap with retainer cable.
The vents are one on each side outside of the cockpit.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe consider a pin instead of a bolt for your anchor roller so you can switch back if you want to. Seems like it's not working for you though.

After 2013 the EPA required that boats have some pretty useless canisters in place. Vents come back to the filler neck. I have a boat built in 2013 at work, and the system simply does not work well. Maybe they are better now? If you have open vents, there may be a canister between them and the tank. I have had issues filling these tanks, with fuel often rushing up the filler hose and then going into the filler vents, preventing venting. The whole thing is designed to minimize fuel spills, but they make it so much harder to keep fuel from spilling.

Anyway, I've had to remove vent hoses from the canister and blow them out with compressed air (towards the vents). If you have fuel in your vent hoses, it may be causing the issue, and might be an easy solution.

Of course, maybe your boat doesn't have this canister, but you might have a low spot in your open tank vents that is holding fuel as well.
BBlalock

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking and feeling around I don't think there is a canister in there. Also the vent hose goes up to the gunnel before bending down a foot to the vent. No place for fuel to sit. And I haven't filled the tank since buying Finale.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On has 2 fuel tank vents, one on each side. It's a 2005 C-Dory 25 which is probably different from yours. That said, I had to block the vents with masking tape to stop the gasoline vapors from invading the cockpit. The smell was pungent and scary. I left enough of a gap that the vents would let in air as the tank was emptied during use.

The vents aren't used when filling the tank since the fill ports are big enough and the only real use they serve is to vent the tank during use.

Boris
BBlalock

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local dealer is researching this but I might try to reduce, not stop, the venting. I have temporarily taped over them to confirm them as the source.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my CD25 of 2005 vintage, I can get rather strong gas smell in the cockpit which becomes noticeable if I am at anchor and the boat rocks from side to side. It seems worse when the tanks are more full.

I've never done a thorough analysis, but I've always assumed these fumes were coming from the vents.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the anchor roller. I did the same to my 22 but I used a pin in stead of a bolt. Use a pin with a ring on one side and a ball indent or a safety pin on the other. When you go to drill you WILL need a top quality harden bite designed for stainless. You average bit will not do it. You will trash the bit and not make much head way. Go slow and use cutting oil or motor oil. Hope that help.
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CD25 2008 single 100 gal tank vent holes on both sides, when the wind is blowing in a certain directions I can also smell the fuel from the vent holes....happen when it's really warm more than when it's cold, or if there is a lot of movement vs. hardly any.

I also was very concerned when I picked up the boat back in Aug/2013 with the smell, but since have figured out it's the vent holes and just don't stand down wind of the vents.

Enjoy your new CD25 they are awesome boats Very Happy Very Happy
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benton, we have the same gas odor from the vents - Patty hates it but we have learned to live with it. You saw our anchor roller, and maybe the best solution is to get a new anchor roller rather than modifying your current one, but I know you can tear down and rebuild a Beamer MC engine, so I suppose you can modify the anchor roller too! Our best to you and Ann!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

BBlalock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and others,
I am going to put rubber pads forward and aft in the roller. That should keep the roller from bouncing and smashing into the bow jelcoat. I will make sure the anchor still deploys.
I feel better knowing everyone seems to have the gas odors too. I might try stuffing some mesh material into the vent to reduce, not stop, the venting.
We do love our CD and as you all have said it is impossible to go anywhere and not have someone want to talk about it.
joewall

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: betty louise
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Trouble filling gas tank Reply with quote

It's good to be back on the site after too many years. I just took possession of a 2018 25 Cruiser and stopped off to fill the tank. I could get no more than 2 gpm into the fill nozzle without it backing up. The Betty Louise (a 22 Cruiser) used to require very slow and careful filling but nothing this bad. I've read the comments in this thread about pockets in the vent line, carbon canisters for vapor absorption, the design of the fill nozzle where the tank vents back to the nozzle, etc.

Since this thread was active, has anyone resolved the issue further? Has anyone experienced this severe a restriction? It took me about 30 minutes to add 51 gallons.

Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: