View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Transom Saver Reply with quote

For those road warriors who trailer a lot this product might be of interest. Click on your brand of engine for a video of how they install on your brand. www.motormateusa.com
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. It looks like the piece spans from the outboard leg to the outboard transom plate. It might not look like it is still transferring any twisting stress to the plate, but where else can the force go? With a traditional transom saver, some of the force is transferred to the trailer cross member (sometimes via the first roller). That has the possibility of reducing the stress on the transom. This gizmo keeps all of the twisting force still in the same place, i.e., on the transom plate.

The amount that the motor "wiggles" isn't really an indication that transom stress has been relieved. I ain't buyin' it.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats true, but many boaters focus more on saving the outboards trim hydraulics instead or doing both that and easing transom forces. It's like a partial solution for those to are not worried about the transom I suppose.

I do something similar in wood form to take the load off our trim system and don't really worry about the transom itself so much.

The bars that extend to the trailer can do a disservice to the engine and transom if the boat is not really well locked down in place. Small boat movements can transfer a lot of force through that support and now your doing more harm than good.

Careful use of that type is a good idea. I have seen negative results as in twisted and blown hardware.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a great purchase for my boat. Takes the stress off the hydraulics or the support tabs.

I use the centering clips as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/M-YWEDGE-MOTOR-SUPPORT/2030926.uts?productVariantId=4220019&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04201272&rid=20&gclid=COTLzsqgh9QCFYJYfgodGV8B9Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

2013 C-Dory 22 Cruiser - sold
2006 North River 26 O/S
2004 Wooldridge Alaskan OB Jet
2001 C-Dory 22 Cruiser
1994 Weldcraft Jet boat
Seine Net Skiff
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Transom Saver Reply with quote

I have no interest in the company. I just saw it as new product. I'm ok if no one buys it. Yamaha sells a similar device like the last poster's link illustrates. It just slides over the tilt ram and has a rubber snubber. Just adjusting the tilt down puts pressure on the rubber snubber. With the motor tilted almost all the way up I would think most of the weight of the engine is pushing down on the transom. The idea of keeping pressure off of the tilt cylinders and the manual support arms is the usual idea. It would seem movement can create more dynamic forces to cause extra stress on all components . JMHO.
D.D.
C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transom Saver Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I have no interest in the company. I just saw it as new product. I'm ok if no one buys it. Yamaha sells a similar device like the last poster's link illustrates. It just slides over the tilt ram and has a rubber snubber. Just adjusting the tilt down puts pressure on the rubber snubber. With the motor tilted almost all the way up I would think most of the weight of the engine is pushing down on the transom. The idea of keeping pressure off of the tilt cylinders and the manual support arms is the usual idea. It would seem movement can create more dynamic forces to cause extra stress on all components . JMHO.
D.D.

That motormate looks like a pretty good product. Seems like it would serve a similar purpose as the M-Y Wedge, but provide more solid support. Do you happen to know the approximate cost range of the motormate? Interesting product
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of force put on the trim rams and transom in normal operation is way more than that produced by trailering. The tilt ram (for getting the motor out of the water) is not designed for these forces and may have it's life extended by this device. However, I just stick a piece of 2x4 in between the stationary and moving parts of the motor mount and then lower the motor a bit to trap the piece of wood. In addition to relieving the force on the tilt ram, the wood provides a bit of a cushioning effect vs. a hard metal mount.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is not so much the transom but rather the steering input forces on the hydraulic system. I have ordered two and will test on the trip to the Mississippi gathering
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I just stick a piece of 2x4 in between the stationary and moving parts of the motor mount and then lower the motor a bit to trap the piece of wood.

I had to go with 3x3 to get the leg raised a bit more. I drilled a hole in it and attached a tag line to the motor so that it can't get lost. Total cost is 10 cents and it floats. I need a clever trade name (MotorFloater?), some bright paint (same reason as a fishing lure), and I can go into business.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same Mark. How about motor-scrap or support scrap or trim buddy? There goes that relaxing retirement....

The tether is a good idea and could save a windshield for another driver.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2034&id=20140321_155148_resized&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Greg
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also replaced my transom plug with one that has a hole in it. The hole is supposed to be so that you can tighten/remove with either a screwdriver or a wrench. I used the hole to tether it to the boat using bright pink mason line. Impossible to misplace and hard to forget to install.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Drain-One-Safety-Plug-Only/dp/B000QU5RYI/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1495639962&sr=8-21&keywords=boat+drain+plugs

https://www.amazon.com/T-W-Evans-Cordage-11-193-Number-18/dp/B000W8F7FS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495640094&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+mason+line

I need all the reminders I can get.

Mark
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn the motor all of the way to one side to avoid stress on the steering system--and feel this is important. You can do the same thing by pieces of PVC pipe slipped over the ram arms. Wedge to support the motor over the tilt arm. Generally works well, easy to use, and not expensive.

I have one of the types which goes to the trailer frame, on the Caracal Cat. Although this sort of keeps the motor centered, I still use PVC on the ram arms keep the motor centered.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: