Advice for an interested C-Dory owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig_Lincoln

City/Region: Bayfield
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Grasshopper
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Advice for an interested C-Dory owner Reply with quote

Hi all --

I'm new here, so bear with me. My wife and I have a lake place with a dock looking out over the Apostle Islands. We're lifelong kayakers (sea and whitewater) and are looking for a motor vessel to tool around the islands. This would be our first motor vessel.

We're interested in a C-Dory and have a line on a 22-foot cruiser that needs a fair amount of work. (More on that in another post; we'd have to come up with a fair price).

Here's our challenge: In this neck of the woods, other boats that could serve our purpose come on the market regularly. It seems they sell for less than what a C-Dory would.

We're also looking at a Bayliner 22, for example. We'd like to know what trade offs we'd be making -- i.e.; what would be the advantages of a C-Dory?

We'd use the boat for day trips around the Apostles, mostly, because we'd like to spend afternoons or day trips exploring them. Sometimes we'd dock it on an island to hike, sometimes we'd want to beach it, and sometimes we'd like to cruise along sea caves.

In calm weather, we'd tie our boat up to a crib dock at our lake place, but also would put a mooring buoy out front for when the wind kicks up.

What would a C-Dory give us over a boat like a Bayliner with the same length?

Thanks for reading this long post! Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Craig Lincoln

LakeHouse4305

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Fuel cost and looks Reply with quote

I'm sure the experienced owners will come up with many good points for you but as someone that is also currently looking at various boats here are a few thoughts. First, for us it's the look - - we really like the look of these boats compared to Bayliner and similar cruisers. We like the pilot house type boat and the layout/feel they have. Second, fuel usage/cost. The 100-115 hp OB on a C Dory 22 will be a fraction of an I/O Mercruiser (5.7L?). Finally, resale - - Bayliners really get hit hard with depreciation compared to the C Dorys. Good luck in your hunt!
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A world of difference between a CD22 and a 22 ft Bayliner though keep in mind both float and motor across the water which is what you want. Used CD22 will be about $30K and Bayliners and similar I/O's (inboard/outdrive) will be starting at $5K (still should be in decent/good condition at that price) on up to $20K (too much in general). CD22 - slower, more fuel efficient, nice and dry, warm, out of sun in the cabin, better resale value and shorter listing time, my favorite: Bayliner - low initial cost, gas hog, faster in chop, outdrives expensive to fix and seem to need fixing periodically, many are made from fiberglass chop (weaker and cheaper than laid fiberglass cloth). Many others will soon pipe in with dozens of other comparisons; best to go for a ride in both with the owners and ask them for their opinions and why. Enjoy the research and finally the search.

Jay
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before my CD-22 Cruiser, I had a 1988 Searay 268 Sundancer. I've had both boats up in the Apostle Islands, among many other places.... The 268 is probably different from a 22 Bayliner, but thought I'd share anyway. The 268 was close to 10,000 lbs with it's trailer, the CD-22, 4800 lbs. I trailer a lot, so that makes a big difference to me. The 268 had the "basement style" berth. That is, you step down and then there is the berth, a small kitchinette, and an enclosed head/shower. Also had a water heater, but I yanked it out as it wasn't working when I bought the boat used. However the helm was more or less open, unless I put up the Bimini Top and camper enclosure. The CD-22 has the enclosed cabin and a much smaller berth, with just a porta potty. But I still have the sink and stove within the cabin. The 268 had a single screw 454 IO. The CD-22 a 115hp outboard. The 268 held 100 gallons of fuel, the CD-22, about 44 gallons. Same distance covered in each boat, so the CD-22 does get a lot better fuel mileage. I sold the 268 for $13,000 and bought the CD-22 for $37,000. (The 268 was a 1988, the CD-22 a 2007). I am much happier with the CD-22. Draws less water, more economical to operate, and I actually feel much safer in the 22. (Ie, it feels more seaworthy than the Searay did.) As for ride in chop, to be honest I really didn't remember any difference, although most will say the V-Hulls ride better. Both boats seem to slam pretty hard if driven fast in chop/waves. Again, I'm comparing my CD-22 to a 26' Searay Cabin Cruiser. However, the Searay 268 seemed to look a lot like it's comparable sized Bayliner cabin cruiser. I can't visualize a 22' Bayliner at this moment. In any case, I"m sure you'll enjoy which ever boat you end up with. Seems like you can always find good water in the Apostles in one channel or another! Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good information in the above posts. I owned a 22 foot Bayliner Ciera a number of years ago, between larger boats, and they are inexpensively built. When new a decent boats, but cheaper materials, tend to deteriorate faster than a Sea Ray, which has a bit better quality.

The Bayliner 22 is an express cruiser--where you are in the open, with a bimini top at the helm. The galley, table and bunks are below deck, with little view if any from the ports. There is a walk in head and small shower. The C Dory has the pilot house, where the helm, galley and dinette are in areas of excellent visibility. Also the helm has far better protection from the elements. The C Dory is easily trailerable, and will run in shallower water (the I/O engine can only operate at idle speed with the I/O drive leg up, because of the Gimble Bearing. The Bayliner will be a little faster--might have a very slightly better ride going into chop...The inboard engine will be higher maintenance costs.

I have only been in your area once, but either would be suitable for good weather.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how recommendations go w/o knowing your experience with power
boats, Craig. Not trying to be snooty, just practical. Kayakers have a mixed
history around here with being weather wise so I'd guess you'd be OK in a
CD 22 as it is popular and you don't need a spray skirt. Bayliner, in my
experience, would be a step or so down. Never saw one that blew my hair back.

Aye.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of kayaks on top of a CDory cabin is an easy way to get them to new waters to explore.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I bought a Cdory was love. When I didn't have the price, I waited. Nothing else would do. Every other boat choice to me was just settling. I saw my first one in 1990 at a marina in Bayfield and couldn't get it out of my mind. I looked them up and a new one was $20,000 plus. I waited 12 years and bought a used 2001 for $37,000 that was 2,000 miles away and NEVER regretted it. If your heart desires a Cdory you'll find a way to get one and you'll even be happy in the off season just reveling in the fact that you own one.

It's something in the water!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our experience is similar to Fairbro. We saw our first C-Dory, a 19 foot angler at Bridge Bay Marina, Yellowstone Lake in 1982 & both JoLee & I agreed that someday we would own one. That someday finally arrived in Jan 2003 & without much other boating experience other than canoes & rubber inflatables we made the trip from Wyoming to Vancouver, British Columbia to purchase our 2000 22 foot CD cruiser for $39,000. We have now towed her 72663 miles & put 18174 miles of water under her hull without developing different or bigger boat itis. Very few if any other boat makes of same size would have been capable of taking us in similar comfort or safety on the many adventures we have documented with write ups, photos, & video on this site. Our HunkyDory is now sitting on the trailer, polished & well maintained with 2116 hours on the twin Honda motors & ready for this boating season with hopes of many more thereafter. Even just sitting on the trailer, it still draws a smile out of us both every time we look at it.

Jay

island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_Lincoln,
My wife and I have a cottage on an island in Georgian Bay. We are 8 miles from the marina, tho the route is mostly protected by lots of islands. Near Honey Harbor, if you are familiar with the area.
We were looking to replace our tired 1972 Crestliner I/O on which I had built a hardtop - it is cold and wet in April and October, and canvas does not cut it for waterproof. I was looking at pilot house type boats, and I showed a picture of a CD 22 to my wife, and she said "that is a pretty boat!" In addition to looks, tho, is has a flat aft section so planes early, does not wander at slow speeds like most deep v's, and is fuel efficient with a 90 hp Etec. And, of course, one can stay out of the weather.
I drove to New Brunswick, to pick up our particular CD last spring, and we could not be happier. Yes, it cost a lot more than, say, a Bayliner Trophy from the 80's, also a pilot house, or even a Parker, but the ownership experience is exquisite.
I would add that one of the great benefits of CD ownership is the excellent advice and info available from this very website
andy

Craig_Lincoln

City/Region: Bayfield
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Grasshopper
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all --

Thank you very much. Lots of good advice here from a great community with points I didn't think of.

The benefits of a pilot house definitely came through, especially on a place like Lake Superior. Also really appreciate the points about quality of construction. We'd rather get a boat that'll serve us throughout our retirement, so quality makes a big difference.

So again -- thank you very much!

Cheers,
Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: