View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpod2003

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Towing a C Dory 25 with a Ford Ranger Reply with quote

I have a C Dory 25, new to me, that does not have a trailer and is currently moored. I have the option of buying the trailer that it was on, for a good price. At this point we don't have any plans to tow it very far. The main point for getting the trailer would be for haul outs for engine maintenance, etc. I currently own a 2008 Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup that is rated to tow 6,000 lbs. maximum. I know that the total weight for the boat and trailer would be more like 7,500 to 8,000 lbs. I would only be towing it a short distance to where maintenance could be done, mostly just a mile or so. Although, it could be as much as 15 miles to a place where I could do some work on my own. The trailer has a weight distributing hitch that might help.

Is this crazy. Is it just way to much for this truck to handle even for a short distance, or might it work for the few times I would do this? Opinions?

Doug Robinson
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved 25 foot boats about yards or my house with a lawn tractor...Is that a good idea? Back when I had a Honda Pilot, I used it to launch the 25 once. Sort of scary going the few miles to the ramp--but I did it--not really a great idea--I bought a For Excursion 3/4 T Diesel the next week.

Could you do it with a Ranger, in a storage lot to a ramp? Sure. One of the issues is traction on the ramp--If it can do that, it can do the short hauls. But, if there is an accident---Braking capacity is another factor--truck weight vs boat weight--I like a heavy truck.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed and launched Journey On with a short-bed 63 Chevvie 1/2 ton. Worked great because the trailer had electric brakes.

When you have electric over hydraulic disk brakes you can apply them either going forward as in normal driving, or in backing down the ramp to launch the boat. Other type of brakes don't work on ramps and you're counting on the truck weight and brakes only. The weight of the boat/trailer combination approaches 9000 lbs, which is over twice a Ranger so using the Ranger to stop the boat going down a slippery ramp is problematical. You can retrofit electric over hydraulic brake actuators on disk brakes for about $700, a cheap price to pay versus a new truck. Just make sure you get the e-over-h actuator and not the electric RV brake.

Note that if you use surge brakes they don't work if the trailer is going downhill backwards. You even have to lock out the brakes to back the trailer up.

For long distance towing we bought a Dorf F-250, which is a great truck, tho expensive.

Boris
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

When you have electric over hydraulic disk brakes you can apply them either going forward as in normal driving, or in backing down the ramp to launch the boat.

I just finished (around noon today) towing my 25 with electric over hydraulic disk brakes almost 600 miles and the trailer alone 250 miles... what a pleasure! Peace of mind. No problems. Even quick stops are not scary. I loved it! My tow vehicle is a 2013 GMC 2500 diesel.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be in the "yes, this is crazy" camp. I wouldn't tow a 25 with an F150, and sure wouldn't do it with a Ranger. If you aren't planning on towing it a lot, check around to see about renting a capable truck for the times you need to move the boat. Then, buy at least a 3/4 ton truck when you're ready to haul the boat all over the country to enjoy all the best cruising places at the best times.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I have a 2007 Ranger 4x4, 4.0L. I've pulled my 22 a few miles with it, but at no time did I feel safe. The stopping power of the Ranger was what had my attention. I would hate to have to do a panic stop. I can't imagine trying to stop a 25... If you were in an accident, I think you would be in deep kim chee, physically and legally.
dpod2003

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great feedback. I think I can see that it would not be a good idea to try to do this. I may try to see about a truck rental, or try to borrow something for the few times it would be needed.

What a great wealth of information. Again, thanks so much.

Doug
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed a 22 Cruiser with a 2006 Ranger 4.0 and it did fine. Others may have a different perception but I have been around heavy equipment all my adult life.
Obviously the 25 is a different game but if you really do keep the haul to 1 mile be careful and make damn sure the trailer brakes are actually working, don't guess or just hope they are.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would be in the "yes, this is crazy" camp.

Ditto. Torque, braking, rear axle capacity...just a few of the safety issues that come to mind. Putting so much weight on a rear suspension that cannot handle it makes the front suspension (steering & braking) lift unsafely. You lose most steering and braking, which is most of your braking power. Not to mention the legality of towing beyond capacity. Hell, pulling the boat up a ramp would be a challenge, IMO. We have a 3/4 ton diesel. I can't imagine pulling our 25 with anything less...no matter the short distance. I don't want that liability.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cd 22 and I towed it every where with my 95 v6 4x4 ranger, including to ucluelet b.c. it was just fine. Twin axle trailer and brakes help a lot. Not all rangers are v6 or 4x4 so that will need to be considered.

That said I would not use the ranger for a 25 unless you are just moving it around the yard or very short distance to the ramp. No highway or even roads over 35mph. Is not about being able to pull the boat , its about being able to stop the boat.

Better to just borrow a truck the few times a year you need to move the boat. Or go buy a real truck;)

tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my boat was a 22' Angler, I bought a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. It was rated to tow 6,500 lbs. It towed and stopped just fine. Then I pulled the boat on the interstate with some pretty stout side winds. The boat turned into a sail and steered my truck. It was a white-knuckled trip up and back. Sold the Toyota two weeks later and bought a diesel F-250. The Toyota was a great truck, but didn't have the weight to counteract the sideways torque.
nuccifilms

City/Region: las vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy post, but in someways i sympathize with the sentiments going into it. i have never been a big carbon footprint guy. it goes against my nature. and having that 250 or 350 mostly sitting in my driveway while i use my grocery getter tacoma/ranger 99% of the time, i might as well keep my diesel hooked up to the trailer, . . it's a painful purchase, when you know going into it, it's limited use Sad i've jumbled the numbers around, trying to justify a half ton. i came to the conclusion that i've done enough white-knuckle rides at or past capacity. towing a 25' or a 22' (at any roadway speed) is just a marginal risk i no longer care to take. of course i'm 51 yrs old, and i'm not saying what i thought at 21? i hope to be towing from vegas to the west coast now, until i'm at least 71, and any stress i can't take out of that trip adds to how long i'll be doing it. a F250 diesel, electric brakes, all in prep. for a future 22', that's just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: