The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Wheel Bearings Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Trailer Wheel Bearings Question Reply with quote

I have a King tandem trailer for my CD22. It has the torsion axles from Tie Down and the Super Lube spindles. These are the spindles with a zerk fitting in the center of the spindle. I also have Kodiak disc brakes.

I re-packed all four bearings and installed new grease seals. On one wheel, after installing the hub and bearings I had a hard time putting the brake caliper back on. I did get it on but the outer pad was dragging when I turned the hub. Everything looked correct until I finally saw that the hub was not going on the spindle as far as the other hubs. It was a small difference of maybe a 1/16th in.

I removed the hub and looked at the bearings and could not find anything wrong. Finally I put the hub back on and tightened the nut while turning the hub to about as tight as I could. The hub was still turning but I could feel resistance. When I loosened the nut and adjusted it for normal use, I now had clearance for the outside brake pad to not drag.

I have not road tested it yet. I am wondering what could of moved or what was preventing it from going on. Has anyone seen this type of problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings Question Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:

I re-packed all four bearings and installed new grease seals.

Are you certain the new grease seals were seated properly before installing the hubs?

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Trailer Wheel Bearings Question Reply with quote

Maybe the one of the brake pads was not all the way retracted. After the tighten up it got moved over. Take it out for a spin and after a couple miles check the hub temps if they all run about the same I'd run with it. Maybe the one seal was different? I'd keep an eye on the wheel seal and the hub temps for awhile to make sure the seal is ok and not losing grease.
D.D.

SeaSpray

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed all of the grease seals the same way and checked that they were all flush with the hub. I don't really think the grease seal could be the problem since the back of the seal is not even close to touching anything and the inner part is rubber.

I am thinking that either somehow the rear bearing was not seated properly or there is a wear ring on the spindle that was not seated completely, or possible a bearing race somehow moved. Just not sure.

I previously have towed this trailer several thousand miles with no problems so I am not sure how any of those things could change.

Steve
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the race would just move in the hub. The are a tight fit. Most likely the drag was the brake pad. I just did two of my four and on one the pad moved inward and I had to push the piston/pad back in; I could not even get it over the rotor. If your races and bearings showed no sign of wear, I doubt the spindle is damaged. I have the same brand parts as you. I adjust the castle nut as follows:

-while spinning the hub I tighten to 50 ft lbs (helps seat the bearings)
-I then back the castle nut off until I am able to align the 1st notch with the lock washer tab
-I check for both drag and excessive play

SeaSpray

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be it. Maybe the rear bearing was not seated completely. I had pushed the brake piston in all the way and had lots of room on the inner brake pad. It was just the outer pad that was dragging.

I did not have a large wrench when tightening the castle nut so I am guessing I might have applied somewhere around 50 ft-lb, and then I had enough room for the outer brake pad. I don't know what moved but I did not have that problem on the other three. I usually just snug up the nut to seat the bearings then adjust to spin free.

Thanks,
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: