The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A Honda Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: A Honda Question Reply with quote

For starters, we know nothing about engines, except how to maintain them.

We just had a dealer install two new Honda 40's. Old ones were 2001; new are 2006.

Old ones had WOT about 4500 rpm - top speed about 28k. New ones have WOT about 3500 - top speed about 22k. Exactly the same load in the boat (well, a few fried chickens and beers more) and same props with same pitch (took them off old motors, put them on new ones.

Talked to dealer - he can't explain the difference in performance and says they are set at top rpm. Maybe the new engines are set with a lower top rpm.

Is there a setting in the engine that the installer has to adjust to get a higher WOT (and higher speed)? And if so, what is the gizmo he needs to tweak?

We will be taking the engines back to him soon and would like the higher rpm. Thanks, gang.

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Interesting... Reply with quote

I would be very surprised if the new engines varied that much from the performance figures of previous engines. For a baseline, what does the owner's manual show for WOT ? If, after some "loosening up time" the engines don't reach proper rpm, it does seem something is amiss (and since you've done the 20-hours service there is enough time on the new engines).

Initial guess would be the props, but if you're using the same props I would think they'd give similar performance.

As I recall you use the ProPulse graphite/adjustable props. Could they have been accidently readjusted to a higher pitch in the removal/reinstallation process? (I suspect not. I also have a ProPulse on the Suzuki; and changing the pitch is rather tedious, probably not done by accident.) Have you tried using different/spare props to see if there is any change?

Final thought. On most of the new engines (for the past several years actually) there are various rpm-limiter systems built into the electronics designed to protect the engine. Might that circuitry be limiting the rpm? (Have dealer check that one....)

Good luck!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
PS: ...goodness, you get up Early!!!
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill and Casey! Hope all is well with both your families. Bill, how many hours did you get out of your old motors? I will pose this question to Mr. Mitchell at Mitchell Marine in Alexander City. He was one of the very 1st Honda dealers in the SE and still moves a very high volumn of motors due to customer loyalty. Many folks from the coast still come up this way for their upgrades and major work. Will give you a call when I get what ever response he gives. They will be open in about an hour.
Byrdman
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the face of it, it sounds like a rigging problem to me. Very improbable for both engines to not make rpm at the same time . . . Take the cover off one engine and have El go back and forth with the throttle -- find the throttle stop and see if it is hitting the stop as she goes back and forth (idle to wot). You'll see it - it will be the only thing moving. If it isn't hitting the stop, the problem is most probable to be in the cables going up to the engine (throttle quadrant) not opening the throttle fully.

My best guess not looking at it . . .

Good luck!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for ducks, the Honda web site says that max HP (40) is at 5500 RPM for those engines. So, 4500 was down from the max HP point, and 3500 is waay down.

Somethings wrong. Not a clue, but they seem geared wrong (propped wrong?)

By the way, those engines are still carbureted. Nothing wrong with that, just a comment.

Boris
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Flagold, this looks like a simple problem of not having enough throttle movement.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance the factory changed the gearing in the latest editions. I can't imagine both engines coming from the factory with the wrong stop adjustment.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearing from 2001 to 2006 is unchanged at 2.09:1. Could also be a fuel restriction (maybe a KINK) induced in switching motors, but the throttle linkage would be the most likely source, assuming prop pitch wasn't changed. My $0.02. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas --

Not a fuel restriction problem, since each engine is totally isolated (fuelwise) from the other -- different tanks, filters, fuel lines.

Not the props -- same pitch, same props -- yep, ProPulse and the pitch didn't alter.

We'll check the throttle 'stop' when we get her on the hard at the end of this cruise. When we told the dealer of the problem, after the 20 hour check, he 'adjusted' the throttle to 'full stop' and rpm went up 500 rpm to the 3,500.

Our original engines -- dealer told us they could be set to 5500, but he recommended (from his experience) to set it at 4500. Thought it would give better life to engines, less top end stress, and he knew us well enough to know we're not hot rods. From his 'setting' the rmp, we assumed with these new engines that there is an adjustment that could be made --

Any other thoughts are appreciated -- thanks.
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, the engine companies like to prop the engines to run towards the high end with a "light load". This will tend to make it run low-middle with a heavy load.

If you prop the boat to run too low at W.O.T. then you'll be running the engine overloaded, even at mid throttle settings. This will increase time to plane, and increase wear as a result of to much load.

Ideally, I'd like to see it run right at 5000 RPMs with a normal load.
This should put your best cruise speed, and hopefully, range at about 65-75%.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Our original engines -- dealer told us they could be set to 5500, but he recommended (from his experience) to set it at 4500. Thought it would give better life to engines, less top end stress, and he knew us well enough to know we're not hot rods.

I am not sure I can agree with the dealer's wisdom here. That's the same thing as putting a brick under your car's gas pedal. If he knew you well enough to know you wouldn't hot rod, one would think he would trust you to keep the pedal off the floor. By limiting the throttle travel, you are giving up a whole bunch of available power that would only be used at the times when it is most needed. Like climbing up a swell to keep from getting buried by the one chasing you. Sure it's hard on the engine, but it can be a lot harder on the skipper and crew.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: