Thunder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Thunder Reply with quote

My wife and I got caught out in thunder right next to us (IE flash and sound at same time no delay). this made me wonder - is there a concern with a boat on the water with thunder? We put our radio antenna down just in case lol.
"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten caught in a few storms, twice with lightning all around me. I tried not to touch anything metal. I too thought about bringing my VHF antennas down, but didn't want to have a hold of them or the bracket if they were hit! Just kept my fingers crossed and said a few prayers! Shocked All the advice says get off the water. That's not always practical. When I had the Searay, with the cabin "down below", I always felt a bit safer hiding in the cabin. But I'm sure in reality, that wasn't any safer!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes lightening can be dangerous on any boat. I get antennas down, disconnnect all of the electronics, including antennas, and ground wires. (Same as I did in bigger boats). stay away from anything which is grounded. Anchoring is probably the best Pllan, especiallly if you can find a protected cove. C Dory is difficult to put in an lightning dissipator, as one would use on the top of a sailboat mast, with a ground plate right under the mast.

Probably the safest place is in the V berth. Safety rules generally dictate that small craft should not bout if lighting is within 10 miles. There are cases of person being struck even when no clouds.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are fishing and are caught in a lighting storm get the rods off the top of the boat. Most rods are made are with carbon fiber these days and conduct electricity better then steel. https://www.google.com/search?q=fishing+rod+strike+lighting&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUS622US622&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4stmQrdzbAhWCCTQIHcb7DHUQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=947
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder can be bone rattling. Thunder can be awesome.
Thunder can scare you.

But remember, it's lightening that does the work.

Aye.

spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Thunder storms Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

I'll throw my half-penny in for the folks with smaller CDs. My wife and I have ridden out several pop-up thunderstorms, which are common here in the southeast during the summer.

We gunkhole on Lake Wateree and are usually anchored in a cove with a bow and stern anchor. When a thunderstorm comes we do like Thataway, we put down all antennas, turn off all electrical devices and turn the batteries off.

My wife will get up in the bow berth and I'll put a throwable cushion on the deck between the seats and sit there. The little CD 16 Cruiser goes bow heavy with two adults in the forward section so any rainwater runs forward. In a pop-up thunder storms there is heavy rain, lots of lightening and high winds. Fortunately, they are usually of short duration.

As a side note: We keep several Folgers plastic coffee cans (big ones and little ones) on board as they are excellent to store toilet paper and other small items in that you don't want wet.

They are also excellent for bailing out water, catching rain water, can be used for emergency anchors, etc. They can also be used as emergency floatation devices.

Anyway...just my half-penny for us smaller CDers.

Take care and be safe out there.
Spuncopper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: