View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wonderful harbor, about half way down the south side of Passage Island, with good anchorage, very sheltered. Entrance to the harbor is narrow, but there is at least 6' under the keel. Stay in the center at the narrowest point of the entrance, but as you come in from the south side, stay about 15-20 feet off of the shore to the port side. There is a shallow reef at the center of the entrance, which you can see if there is any surf, but not when it is flat. It is several hundred feet south of the narrow entry point. No overnight docking is permitted at the dock. It is the old coast guard boat house/dock that was used in to the 1970's. This is a beautiful island, with a spectacular hike to the light house from the harbor. The trail starts behind the boat house. No moose out there, so the vegetation looks quite different than the rest of Isle Royale.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone else anal like me Mr. Green if you are prefiling your plan with the NPS, I found the anchorage for Passage Island is number 71. Colby
Snowday

City/Region: Lake Superior
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Foxfire
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Darn, we have a dog Reply with quote

I don't think Isle Royal has changed their policy of dogs potentially infecting their wolf population with parvo virus. Even though there is only one wolf left, more or less. In addition wolves on the mainland are really healthy even though they interact with domestic dogs all the time. Dogs are not allowed to touch the shore last I checked. Has anyone heard any different?
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Passage Island Reply with quote

cgale's post on Passage Island is accurate except the lake is high this year and the ROCK shoal near the harbor entrance does not show surf with waves, just keep the shore 15-20 feet on your port. The shoal is shown on charts and should be on your chartplotter. Great place to anchor out, nice hike (1 mile) to an 1880's lighthouse - don't build them like that anymore and sadly neither maintain them. Another plus for Passage Island is that a pair of peregrine falcons have nested there for the last three years and had two chick this year which you might get to see; the chicks should be fledged by then but hopefully will still be around.
Rock Harbor docks are free for day use but charge for overnight; if you're willing to do a short hike (maybe 0.1 to 0.15 mile) you can stay at the Tobin Harbor docks (very quite and peaceful compared to R H but then R H is very peaceful and quiet compared to most of the USA) for free and do the short walk to R H for its amenities. R H docks do have electric and water hookups, no other docks at the island do. I hope to join you for some or all the time from McCargo to Hay Bay.

Jay

Last edited by C-Green on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
C-Green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: dogs Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that the NPS policy is no dogs, not just no dogs on shore. Sorry but that means no dogs on boats also.

Jay
C-Green

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: dogs Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that handicap aide dogs are allowed if cleared with headquarters before reaching the island. Call headquarters for details. A vet checkup is necessary shortly before the visit. I believe therapy dogs are not allowed.

Jay
MilesandMiles

State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: MilesandMiles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live over in Ontonagon and see your boat parked every time we pass on our way to Marquette. We'd like to launch nearby and check out the Huron islands and big Huron river area sometime this summer. Lake superior is a great place to call home. The fishing has been great. Smile
C-Green

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles&Miles,

Not my boat; its at Isle Royale all summer but fishing has been harder than usual at the island which is to say still not hard. I did get a 32# lake trout this June which is 16x's my normal catch. Lake Superior is great boating; I've done the whole shoreline (took 7 years in 7-10 day stretches), all very enjoyable. Hope more show up for Hank and Pats cruise - very enjoyable couple and great waters to explore.

Jay
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

Some of you may be aware of the problems we've been having with our engine. We just wanted to let you know that we've taken care of it and we're on schedule for the Isle Royale cruise starting August 1.

Hank and Pat
Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your engine problems are fixed. Looks like I will be coming solo, so will join the group on schedule. So, what exactly is that schedule now? Earlier thought it was going to be arrive Grand Portage on the 1st and then head over to Isle Royal on the 2nd, if weather agrees. But last tentative float plan showed launching and going over on the 1st. What time is launch time? I plan to arrive Grand Portage a day early unless it's a late launch time. Very Happy Also kind of wondering who all is in? Looking forward to exploring Isle Royal! Colby
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

As always, we're flexible when it comes to Lake Superior. The plan at this time is heading for Grand Portage on July 31. It's a 7 to 8 hour drive for us.
Departure for Isle Royale fairly early on the 1st, again, weather dependent. Actual participants besides Meri Aura include C-Otter and perhaps Tully B. Halcyon out of Bayfield is another possible along with Snowday. C-Green is already on the Island.

Sorry Roseanne will be missing, but we'll try and make due with you. There will be further updates as the end of the month approaches.

Hank and Pat
Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see you on the 31st then! Cool IT's a bit of a drive from here also, but we'll spend the weekend at Rosanne's dad and siblings in Bloomer before I head up from there. Colby
Tully-B

City/Region: Hopkins
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Tully-B
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Lake Superior Becons Reply with quote

It's "Jan and Lee on the Tully B" here. We are definitely planning on joining y'all for the trip to Isle Royale. Looking forward to it!
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and others
I'm just wondering if it's worth investing in a nonresident fishing license for this trip. If so what equipment to bring or buy? I mostly fish for panfish in Florida but it sure would be fun to catch some trout. I've never fished on the Great Lakes so advice is appreciated. Thanks Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
R407c

City/Region: Milwaukee
C-Dory Year: 1997
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Lake Superior Bekons Reply with quote

Hi Hank and Pat Clow,
The wife and I plan to attend part of the Isle Royale outing. We will launch at Grand Portage on Aug 3 rd or 4 th. We will clockwise the island and probably catch up with the group somewhere on the northeast end of the island. Looking forward to meeting you.

Mike and Christy Moser
22 ft C-dory. " Little Joe "

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: