View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Time

City/Region: Hermantown
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Time
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was told by the DNR, is that if your boat does not meet all three requirements for installing CO detectors the law states that if you have an enclosed, area warning stickers are required.
Snowday

City/Region: Lake Superior
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foxfire
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official. We bought the C-dory 25 and will hopefully have it here in Grand Marais within 10 days. Let's keep in touch. I am the port captain for the Great Lakes Cruising Club, a licensed Captain, and former sail boat live aboard cruiser with my wife Susan. We are looking forward to the C-dory life.
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the C-Dory Family Reply with quote

We look forward to seeing you on the big lake this season, if it ever warms up. We actually had a few snowflakes today. We are also former sailors and GLCC members as are many other C-doryites (that may not be a word)

Trailer on over to the Keweenaw Peninsula and join us for a totally new view of cruising on Lake Superior.

Meri Aura
Real Time

City/Region: Hermantown
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Reel Time
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota has postponed the startup of the CO detector law until May of 2018. There where too many unanswered questions and the battery operated version just became available. My last conversation with a marine patrol game warden was that they might exempt outboard powered boats from the requirement.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of suspected this might happen. Really an overkill law that I don't think the state could have enforced on out of state boaters without hurting their tourism. BTW, if anyone wants one of the decals, I did get a bunch of extra ones. Sadly, the decal sizes are a bit overbearing. So many other things on the water that can cause you harm, and they chose to over do it on this one. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent the last 5 days on Lake Superior in the Apostles, and as usual had a great time. Weather was good, water mostly calm, or at least nothing worse than some light chop!

Wondering if anyone else has decided to join the Clows in Isle Royal? Hank & Pat, Rosanne and I are diffinitely coming. However, due to her work schedule, I think we may end up meeting you over there, unless you also decide to go a bit earlier. For now, we are looking at arriving in Grand Portage on July 27th, then heading over to Isle Royal the next day. Then we'll have to pull out on August 8th. We decided to come up a bit early, as it falls within Rosanne's vacation time, and since we can't stay as long as you had originally posted, we'll still get the same amount of time in Isle Royal. Wink Colby
hank clow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

We're still on track for an August 1 departure from Grand Portage, MN. to Isle Royale. We'll probably trailer over the day before and spend the night dockside. Our first stop on the Island will be a check-in at Windigo Harbor to pay our fees and submit our float plan. Float plans are subject to change depending upon weather conditions, but the Park staff likes to have a general idea of where you are wandering.

Keep in mind that cell service and internet connections are very limited, but may have improved since our last visit in 2015.

Hank and Pat Clow
Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just doing some reading about Isle Royal, and saw something about float plans. I was also looking at Windigo Harbor and thinking that is probably where we'd stay a night or two when we first go over. Fees won't be a problem for us, as I understand our National Park Pass will suffice. (It's good until the end of October.) Before we go, perhaps I should get more information from you about what to put down on our float plan. Ideally we'd meet you guys once you arrive, then cruise with you until we had to head back. I suspected cell coverage would be dicey and internet probably non existent. We have Verizon for cell, and will add Canada to it for our trip to Isle Royal. Getting excited for our trip to Isle Royal, as I read more about the park. I was a little concerned about fuel, but looks like we can get fuel over there, even if pricey. Colby
Snowday

City/Region: Lake Superior
Vessel Name: Foxfire
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: We will try to make it. Reply with quote

We are commissioning our 25 and will try to be there with you, but we will only have a few days. We are based out of Grand Marais. If anyone needs local knowledge give us a message.
Todd and Susan
C-25 Foxfire
hank clow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

The Isle Royale website is quite helpful in developing a float plan. www.nps.gov/isro
Download the 2017 copy of their publication Greenstone and you'll find a map showing dockage around the Island. The float plan is not carved in stone as weather conditions are the main contributing factor to your journey.

We're developing a suggested route and will post it shortly.

Hank and Pat
Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also looking for more info on the Grand Portage Marina. I see there are two marina's, there, but I'm assuming it's not the Voyageurs one. Do you know if they charge for parking there? I placed a call earlier, but no one answered. I'll try again later to get more information. I know, lots of questions. lol
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank and Pat, I know you guys are out on the water now, sorry I'm missing that. Rosanne and I are heading to the Illinois River tomorrow, and will cruise up to the Chicago River to see the sites of the city. Then next week up to Door County, our favorite cruising grounds. You know me, trying to be prepared for everything, I've already filed the permit application with Isle Royal. Just put together an itenenary of going counterclockwise around Isle Royle stating and Windigo and spending each day at one of the major docks. I'll update that later with the real plan when we get there. Cool Did that this morning, and already got it back this afternoon...sort of. The form letter came without the attached permit, so I returned the email to them asking for the attachment! LOL. Anyway, very easy process for anyone else that is planning to go. I've already got the National Parks pass, which covers the fee this year, so that made it even easier. Just go to the National Parks website for Isle Royal and follow the links for boating and permit application. See you guys in a few weeks. Happy Independence Day. Hope you see some great fireworks from the water wherever you are! Colby
hank clow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

As promised, here is our tentative float plan for the Isle Royale cruise.
August 1 - Launch from Grand Portage, MN and travel to Windigo Ranger Station to register and spend the night either dockside or on the hook in Washington Harbor.
August 2 -Mc Cargoe Cove
August 3 - Belle Isle area
August 4 - Duncan Bay
August 5 - Passage Island
August 6 - Rock Harbor
August 7 - Chippewa Harbor
August 8 - Hay Bay
August 9 - Windigo
August 10 - Return to Grand Portage

All of the destinations have docks on a first come, first served basis as well as good anchorages. Ice, drinking water and minimal stores are available at Windigo and Rock Harbor Ranger Stations. Be aware of the regulations regarding the use of on-board generators.

Hank and Pat
Meri Aura
hank clow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Lake Superior Beckons Reply with quote

On our previous post you'll find the word "tentative". On Isle Royale, fog and wind are very involved in your cruising plans. We've set-up a clockwise direction for our trip as the prevailing summer winds are from the northwest.

Once we're on the Island you'll be free to come and go as you wish.

Hank and Pat
Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll make those changes with what I had submitted earlier. Also, there is a fairly good chance I will be joining you guys on your schedule as Rosanne may be unable to come. I'm looking forward to the trip either way. I'll check in with you around the 26th as to rather I will be solo or not. Colby

P.S. Going back into the NPS system to preregister, I was not able to find Passage Island. Is there another name? With the PDF form available you have to select camp, dock or anchorage. Then it provides the names of places available. If you select anchorage, it lists anchorages by number. I'm probably making this harder than it needs to be... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: