View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpt vic

City/Region: northeast river/chesapeake
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C~Pearl
Photos: C~Pearl
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: shopping for a 22 cruiser..questions Reply with quote

we are excitedly shopping now , would love the 25 but finacially have to go with the 22.. so am wondering if there are any inherent problems or things we need to look out for.
good used sales are hard to come by so we may very well be purchasing new, that being said anyone have advice or feed back?
haven't asked about weight limits or passengers for the 22?
hope it's good news cause i'm in love with the style and lines . Very Happy
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject comes up a lot -- just look around a bit for the info and have fun. As for load: that's a dredge in the forward compartment, Honda engine, pump and compressor under the table. Empty 1925, full load is 4500. You'll be hard pressed to load one fully (that's what a dory hull is for though) even if working.

Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get plenty of feedback here... Here are my top ten as a 2004 22 owner:

1. Take an _extended_ test drive in a 22 in conditions _similar to_ those you anticipate boating in. Take with you the number of people you will normally sail with. (Be sure this latter test meets your expectations - 4 people can get a bit cramped on a 22, especially in heavy seas.) You will learn a lot about the boat and this will also generate plenty of questions you'll want answered. Repeat for any other style of boat you are considering. TAKE THIS STEP VERY SERIOUSLY.

2. Absorb all the data (and opinion) about twin v. single power plants and then make a decision. Lots of good stuff on this web site. You will probably never be sure you made the "right" decision, so do the best you can.

3. Absorb all the data (and opinion) about engine brand and model. Consider: warranty, ease of service, availability of parts and local service, cost, weight.

4. Budget for the neccessities: Rigging a new boat is expensive, even if you put off some equipment initially. Prioritize by where and how you will be using the boat. Give weight to items with high safety benefit, eg, VHF, radar (potentially), charts, good quality safety gear, etc. over all the other cool toys you can get for a new boat. Don't scimp on safety or quality.

5. Unless you intend to moor the boat, get a really good quality trailer. I don't know why folks will spend all this $ on a great C-Dory then put it atop a pile of crap. Your boat may travel as many miles (or more) on a trailer as it does on the water - take care of it by fitting it to a good quality trailer. (Footnote: decide between brakes/no brakes, rollers or bunks, tandem (recommended) v. single axle, galvanized vs. not, LED vs. standard bulb lights, etc.)

6. Understand what it will take to maintain. Study the maintenance schedules for boat, trailer, and engines and determine what you can and cannot do. Source trusted, skillful help (amidst a lot of flotsam and jetsam). Also source a quality and reliable parts outlet (example: Suzi engine parts: Brown's Point (http://www.brownspoint.com/))

7. Screen your friends for those who can contribute gas and beer $. Stretch your wallet.

8. Prepare for the walkthrough on delivery. Lots of info on this web site on this. Be picky. Ask lots of questions in order to learn.

9. Take a boater's safety course. http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/courses.htm

10. Go! And then go again. Life is short.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpt vic=

Lots of great advice so far! More to come, I'm sure.

You can actually get a very good deal on a used 22 if you know what you're looking for, know what the market costs are, and are PATIENT.

The biggest enemy of finding a great deal on a boat is the overwhelming "need" to get one now and jump at the first reasonable opportunity.

The C-Dory's immense popularity spawns folks who just can't seem to wait to joint our ranks, which is, of course, great for the used boat market.

Finding a boat with in really good shape, with a lot of quality optional equipment, good motors, and a good trailer at or below market price can be done, but you'll have to know what you want and how to recognize a good deal or bargain when you see it. You'll also have to have the money readily available to consummate the deal ASAP after examining the boat and doing the test run.

All this takes time. Time to know what you're doing, and time for the right one for you to come along. So why rush it, the HUNT is part of the FUN. Take your time and do it right! Good Luck! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info above. If you buy new, you can have a "custom" cabin. We lowered the galley and had a seat put on top. We shuttle people (up to Cool across the short (1/2 hour) trip from Anacortes to the San Juans and needed the extra seating. What will your uses be?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked at used because we did not think that we could afford new. Honda has a great deal going. if you get a honda engine put on your new boat then they will finance the whole thing. I mean the radar, downriggers, back cover, radar arch, radios, gps, trailer, auto pilot. everything that can be mounted on the boat. And at 4.45% . Thats better then any bank or credit union that I know of. It was the only reason that we were able to get the boat of our dreams with everything on it . No budgeting for stuff later. The payments come to $375 a month. You just cant bet that unless you have cash. If thats not for you then get the e-tec motor.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good info on the posts above -- Falco's 1-10 ideas are excellent. We are on the Eastern Erie Canal, cruising back to the Finger Lakes -- not too far from PA (although, don't know where in PA you folks live). Wanna come up for a test ride on Halcyon?
cpt vic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[colo=blue][/color] thanx to all for good advice.. and yes have taken the class and have been on the chesapeake for 11 yrs presently on a 20' celebrity cuddy , we do weekends and go when most of our friends stay behind,therefore one of the reasons we need a more weather secure cockpit, it is usually just two of us although would like to feel we could be comfotable taken a few others for a day trip somewhere( to return past favors) . the new 22 we're looking at is powered with a honda 90 and comes with new trailer, how about what anyone has found with that setup as far as gas mileage and average speeds. chessie can be kind or a washing machine so we would be out in all types or water!
cpt vic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and ps. thanx halcyon for the offer, very kind of you but we are in southern lanc co just alittle too far for the test run, if you are any example dory owners are an elite group!
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: New Dory Prospect Reply with quote

Welcome Pat and I have owned both trailer and in the water boats. Our 22 CD is the smallest. Ours is powered with a single
Honda 90, on a single axel bunk trailer, weight 4200 lbs 1/2/fuel and water. Our WOT is a bit lower than I thought it would be, only turning 5200RPM-27.8 MPH.

Pat hates rough water but I did a UPS Nav contest off Middle River on a Sat. morning. Plenty of rough water from wakes we always felt secure. Reading some of the places Bill and El have gone surely convinces me that the Dory can handle a lot of rough water for a 22 foot boat.

We purchased ours new from Cutter in Baltimore. Try to get a ride with Joe he really does know how to trim a Dory with the engine and tabs. This dealer is AOK and they are very nice folks who love C-Dorys

See you on the water-order now so you can join us at Langford Bay in June.

jdoskoch

City/Region: Charlevoix, MI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for used 22s for over two years. I am in N MI; not much around the midwest for sale so I've not kicked too many tires, esp. with the Wallas I desire. And most owners seem to be asking WAY too much for a used boat. Yeah, I know their C-Dorys, but they're still USED and I'm not going to pay 10% less than new with dated electronics, sorry. I am tempted now by the new IN dealer who has a nicely equipped 22 for $44.5K. That looks to be a deal to me. It's got a Wallas, forward seat, trim tabs, hydraulic steering, power wipers (come on C-Dory... who wants to operate wipers by hand??!), tandem trailer and a 90 E-TEC. They also will deliver free east of Mississippi.

With gas prices being what they are, and C-Dory upping production, used prices should slide down. I am patient, and still enjoy fishing off my 15 ft Mirrocraft. If you can't wait, I'd call that new Rabidfish dealer. Otherwise, prices should come down. I've also noticed a few 22s still for sale after many months. They may be pretty negotiable now.

If anyone wants to sell me a newer used 22 with trailer for $30K, I've got cash. Must have the Wallas and reasonable hours (250 or less).
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdoskoch wrote:
With gas prices being what they are, and C-Dory upping production, used prices should slide down. I am patient, and still enjoy fishing off my 15 ft Mirrocraft. If you can't wait, I'd call that new Rabidfish dealer. Otherwise, prices should come down. I've also noticed a few 22s still for sale after many months. They may be pretty negotiable now.

I might be wrong but the price of new one's keep going up. I don't see why there would be some huge drop in the price of a quality used C-dory. It might depend on what part of the country a person is in though.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdoskoch wrote:

With gas prices being what they are, and C-Dory upping production, used prices should slide down.

"With gas prices being what they are", I would suspect that the demand for C-Dorys should be greater as there are not too many vessels (new or used) for sale these days that offer not only the comfort, seaworthiness, etc. as well as fuel economy as the C-Dory. I'm sure there are a lot of other vessels these days that are sitting unused due to their lack of economical operation.

C-Brat #16
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm sure there are a lot of other vessels these days that are sitting unused due to their lack of economical operation."

I have really noticed this. The local ramp, normally packed, became easy to get a parking spot when the prices shot up (and I was thankful to be in the CD). At least pain is relative . . .
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDO
You are saying what everyone was saying, so the factory now has standard in 2006 electric wipers (and floorboards, etc). Owners speak and the factory really listens.
Best of luck with your C-Dory hunt. The more C-Dory's the factory produces, the more people see them, the more people want them, the more they need to build, ad inifinitum, ad nausium...

John
Y-Landing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: