The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Solo c-dory owners?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharona

City/Region: chapel hill
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Solo c-dory owners? Reply with quote

Are there any older/retired adventurous solo c-dory cruisers out there? Not looking for a date or anything, just other single boat owners.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really expect a response without posting a picture?

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
sharona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: What to expect Reply with quote

I don't know what to expect, I just joined this site and I don't have a C-Dory, just thinking of switching from sailing but want a community, was told to investigate here.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharona and welcome. Yes there are many, essentially all ages, all backgrounds and the entire spectrum of adventures. For one example follow Pat and Patty Anderson's trip on the Great Loop. As a matter of fact they will be headed up your way in the near future
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24996
Just rummage around the "Most Recent Topics" post on the right of the home page. You will soon be checking in here first thing most days.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharona,

Marty is right. He always is. Yes there are several, maybe many single/solo Brats (short for C-BRATS -- participants on this sight) who do both solo trips and trips with others --> buddy boating or with groups as in the CBGT's (CBrat Get Together's).

There are single handers in both genders, and cover the age spectrum. Some are very active on the site, some not so much. Maybe they just show up at the gatherings.

You are also in good company as a sailor. Many of the C-BRATS are former sailors, and some still do. it took me 4 years after buying my C-Dory before I let go of my last sailboat. There are member here who have multiple ocean crossings, and some were racers. here I am speaking of C-BRATS in general, but I do know of singles who were previous sailors also.

You said you are looking for "community". This is the finest boating community on the web, and the C-Brats are the finest boaters on the water. You would be hard pressed to find better. This site is chuck full of everything you could ever need to know about C-Dorys, and has the most helpful folks you could ever run into right here.

So, in your consideration, check out the site here and then find a C-Dory or 2 and get a peek. Most folks here are pretty proud of their vessels so getting a chance to have a good look is pretty easy. Click on "The Brat Map" at the top of the page and see how many owners are registered in your area. Send a PM and ask to take a look. You may get an invite for a ride. I realize you are over on the right beach side, but if you are across to the opposite corner, I have an open invitation for a look-see and ride up in the NW corner. It is always fun to show the boat and the area. Have done it many times and there are several folks out there whose first ride was on SleepyC Moon

The boats are different than sail boats, but many on us still cruise at sailing speeds. You save fuel, get more out of the scenery, and with the back door closed, it is a peaceful and quiet as a down wind leg, only no worries about an accidental jibe.

Check out Pat and Patty's blog, and see if you can connect. There are gatherings all around the country, and though the Florida one is just past, and the Sacramento Delta one too, there are others coming up.

Enjoy the search, embrace the concept, and know there is an accepting and helpful community here who enjoy and love their sound and seaworthy boats.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

sharona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Very encouraging! Reply with quote

Wow, thank you Marty and Harvey. Your responses are very encouraging and I'm excited to begin this exploration. I really appreciate your helping me get started!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Sharona! In spite of someone having a bit of fun with you, this is a friendly and welcoming site. My wife and I were sailors before getting a C-Dory, and I was concerned that the experience would be different, both on the boat and here on this forum. Yes, it is different. Some might say better, but it depends on what you want to do with a boat. As far as the online experience, this group is right up there with the best sailing sites. There isn't a lot of "posturing" here, and there is a world of great info about all things C-Dory archived here. Frankly, this group played a very big part in our initial purchase of a C-Dory.

For full disclosure, I sold my C-Dory, but still check this forum each day. Lots of good people here that we've met in person as well as the online friends.

With experience and practice, any of the C-Dorys are perfectly capable of being a great singlehander.

I voiced one of the concerns just before signing the purchase agreement for the boat... "I'm concerned I'll lose my sailing friends." Jeff Messmer (then with C-Dory, now with Ranger Tugs) said to me, "You'll make new friends." It wasn't a flip comment. My sailing friends were mostly intrigued by the C-Dory, and the new C-Dory friends all understand.

Good luck with this part of the search. Singlehanders are always welcome at the gatherings, and you get as much participation as you want to have here on the forum. Plus, a great boat!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm retired, cruised almost 1,000 miles solo last year, and still own a sailboat. I didn't even put the sailboat in the water last year.

A C-Dory has a lot of positive attributes, therefore, it appeals to a broad spectrum of boaters. For me, because it is light, trailer-able, and fuel efficient, tomorrow I could be boating 400 miles away, stay 5 nights on the boat, and use only gas that I bought when I refueled the car at a gas station. With the enclosed helm, I'm warm and cozy. With the shallow draft, it's great for gunkholing. Being somewhat of a minimalist, I have no electronic entertainment and read "books" (Google it).

It also has a few shortcomings, which to many BRATS are also seen as positive attributes. It's not good for pulling water skiers, for hosting cocktail parties with bikini-clad hostesses, for speeds in excess of 40 knots, for a helipad, etc., so those boaters aren't part of the BRATS community.

C-Dorys are sometimes referred to as the "Swiss Army knife of boats." Some people don't need or want a Swiss Army knife. But for those who do, it's a good boat and a good community.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I saw a 22 cruiser pulling a skier on a lake in Ohio.

I pull a tube with my 22 sometimes.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the C-Brat map, there's a lot of C-Dory's in North Carolina. Certainly one can bum a ride on a 25 or 22 or 19 or etc. I'm sure anyone that's signed up would welcome you, because it's such a treat to show off your boat. heck, there's more C-Dorys in NC than SoCal.

If you're going to plan solo trips a C-Dory 22 (or smaller) is great because there so easy to handle. And the trailering and subsequent launching is easy. Once you learn about C-Dorys and their trips, you too can post with authority. You might check out "MikeR" photo album, he appears to make single-handed trips.

Welcome aboard from an older, retired pair of C-Brats who used to sail.

Boris
C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say enough about this site and it's members.....seriously. I have owned many boats, but never came close to having the community here on c-brats. Wonderful advice by intelligent individuals who all take the time to share their experiences right or wrong. Heck, just today a gentleman from this site sent me the steering wheel he replaced on his boat and I was looking for. This site is great.

2013 C-Dory 22 Cruiser - sold
2006 North River 26 O/S
2004 Wooldridge Alaskan OB Jet
2001 C-Dory 22 Cruiser
1994 Weldcraft Jet boat
Seine Net Skiff
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

That seems a bit off to me. Maybe not even in keeping with "the just be nice" rule.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Solo c-dory owners? Reply with quote

sharona wrote:
Are there any older/retired adventurous solo c-dory cruisers out there? Not looking for a date or anything, just other single boat owners.

There are a number of solo boaters on the site. The two that come to mind the most for me are Sunbeam and Catman. Both are (I believe) single and both are generally single handing their boat. One is female, the other male. Both are very helpful and lovely people from what I can see online (Sunbeam) and in person and online (Catman - AKA Brock). As Harvey has said this is one of the finest, most helpful, most friendly boat owner communities you will find on the net. Sure there's an occasional spat or show of machismo in some thread but you won't find a nicer overall group of people than the C-Brats.

Just scan through a few dozen threads on the site and what you'll see is a lot of boaters trying to help each other with very little sniping/negativity. This is a treasure relative to other forums on the net where negativity often outweighs the benefit. That's simply not true here and I hope it stays that way forever.

One thing that might be helpful is if you describe a bit more about what you are hoping to find/learn. If you're thinking about buying a C-Dory you probably have a lot of questions about the relative benefits and disadvantages of these kinds of boats. You probably have questions about how easy they are to launch and manage single handed. You probably have specific questions about these boats relative to other boats on the market. Ask away! You'll get lots of answers and opinions and the vast majority of them will be good, well reasoned and helpful. Most who come here for the first time are amazed at the rapidity of the responses and the overall quality.

Finally, WELCOME!
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
ken35216 wrote:

That seems a bit off to me. Maybe not even in keeping with "the just be nice" rule.

Thought the opening post was spam/not sincere.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roger,

I'm here too. Single handing a 22 Cruuiser for the last 7 years. 9 weeks on one trip last summer.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24668&highlight=learned

Lots of time, nights and miles single handing.

There are others, Sea Gypsy, Karen in Alaska are 2 I can think of right off.

It's a great boat and a great community.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: