The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

house battery not charging
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You upload to

http://www.c-brats.com/viewforum.php?f=36

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place just keeps getting cooler. Check here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=307110#307110
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad terminal connection the wire from my ACR to my house battery. ACR was fine the whole time, easy fix! I could probably didn't need the troubleshooting guide, but I used it as I went through, and I actually identified the issue on my meter because i did.

Overall, it was a very minor issue that showed me 3 things:

1. The ACR unit is robust, and has that redundancy to make my system work in a pinch when a connection is lost.

2. I definitely got lazy making connections. All of my terminal ends were great, except for this one. I think I was probably tired when I made it, or I made that one first, and got better as I went. I recall having some issues with my butane soldering iron at first, maybe I didn't get things hot enough.

3. Customer service from Blue Seas was outstanding. Fast, knowledgable, helpful, and available. In the future I'll be likely to use their stuff again, even if it costs more, because of their great showing on this minor issue.

Aside from that, I learned that I am not all that comfortable with a fuel line running in front of my switch/ACR, among all that potential for sparks. If I had an electrical fire because my connection was loose instead of parting, and it would have become catastrophic very quickly.

this is the line that runs out my fuel selector switch to my racor (mounted in my splashwell). It will be a bit of a chore to re-route it, and then I still have the selector and hoses in the same compartment.

Can I wrap the fuel line with anything to protect it if there is a fire? I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to tell if a small fire started in there while underway, can anyone recommend a sensor I can put in that compartment that would alarm in the cabin? Am I just being overly cautious here? Maybe I just need to be talked down?

Thanks for all the input. This was a pretty easy one once I got in there. The toughest part was taking everything apart just to access the terminals to test.
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type A1 fuel hose has the highest fire resistance at 2.5 minutes open flame.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found a simple problem. At the Hontoon Island gathering I saw at least 5 boats which were having electrical problems. Every one was a bad connector--either corrosion or not properly tightened.

I have my ARC and transfer switch, in the same compartment (Starboard Lazarette) that my Racor and the fuel line goes in and out of. But the electrical circuits in and out are protected by circuit breakers, and the hoses are some distance from the (about 6" closest) from the ACR and negative circuit shunt for the Xantrex Link Lite. I don't worry about that; the best way to prevent electrical fires is to have adequate circuit breakers. When we are not using the boat for any length of time, we disconnect the batteries. But fire aboard is always a grave danger.

On our larger boats we had Aqualarm systems. These had multiple remote systems, connected to a very loud bell. Included in these were water flow for the main engine, generator, several remote high temp alarms, including exhaust and engine room.

There is a standalone Aqualarm system with 135 or 195* fire/temperature sensor and remote panel with alarm buzzer for $84. That is probably your best bet for a marine high temp alarm. (Although not listed as a package, you probably can get the smaller remote for the same deal0.

I am not sure I would trust a home fire detector in the marine environment.

So was this a bad solder connection? Was there corrosion in the joint? Are the lugs both soldered and crimped?

Last week I was called to investigate why an inverter was not working. The owner was out of town, and it was running the freezer on a concession trailer. I could not find a bad connection--but I failed to take the inverter off its mount on the wall, and check where the cable lug was bolted to the inverter input. The owner had failed to properly tighten this connection...(reason a lock washer is suggested under the nut on these connections.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe I had some grease in my terminal end when I made the cable? I used good 6AWG marine grade cable, tinned and crimped (with a bench vise) It just came out. I know exactly when I did it. I had my cables loose in the gunnels after some tidying work, and went to rebundle. I found a pair of cables in the run that were attached to nothing on both ends, so I removed them. I encountered a little resistance when pulling them through and gave it a tug when I probably shouldn't have. I ended up yarding on one of my big red battery cables. I thought it was a different one and checked to make sure it was ok, but I think I missed it. I just pulled the cable right out of the terminal.

It's all clean, looks fine in terms of oxidation, but there is some crud impregnated in the solder. As I said, probably grease.

I did check all of my other terminals and they all remain good, solid, low resistance connections.

I think I'll swap out the fuses on the ACR to circuit breakers. I didn't blow a fuse, but I like a switch much better. You can run out of fuses. Plus, I've had mine get moisture in them, just from humidity. I think I'll use a Blue Seas breaker!!
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using crimper like
Double Crimp Ratchet Too,l 22-10 AWG Part # 701030
DOUBLE CRIMP TOOL 22-10 AWG
https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-701030-Double-Crimp-Tool/dp/B000NI3EMK
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
Are you using crimper like
Double Crimp Ratchet Too,l 22-10 AWG Part # 701030
DOUBLE CRIMP TOOL 22-10 AWG
https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-701030-Double-Crimp-Tool/dp/B000NI3EMK

Nice crimper!
Great reviews.
Had one simular but lost or stolen years ago, been using substandard ones last couple of years. Thanks, I'll add to wish.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used good 6AWG marine grade cable, tinned and crimped (with a bench vise) It just came out

The crimper noted above will not work with any cable smaller than #10. I use one of the hammer crimpers for that size. These can be used in a vise, and that is what I assumed that Kushtaka did to get the correct type of compression. Just squeezing in a vise will not work.

There are hydraulic crimpers, and variable size hammer crimpers which will work also.

Harbor Freight has a hydraulic, but the dies are not precise for AWG cable. Some have modified them with a Demel tool.

Also compound lever tools:

In some sizes a Nicopress tool will work.

In a few cases I have soldered as well as pressed (first), but there are those who are against soldering--unless you can support the cable near the solder joint (which I do) Also good heavy shrink tubing will help to support a joint.
BrentB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes wire size is important when crimping. What size wire were you crimping from ACR to battery?

Another crimper for big wires is made by
FTZ

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

and

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination

Lug size is important to properly fit the battery post

Thanks Bob!!
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question that the rotary dies which Brent mentions are superior. A professional electrician should have them. I probably should have bought a set 40 years ago--and they would have paid for themselves...and been cheaper then...But I have gotten along without failure, using the other techniques, with some soldered as well as the crimp on over several hundred thousand sea miles...You do want to do a pull test to see if they will fail before clamping down.

Avoid the wing nuts which often come with the batteries. You cannot get them tight enough by hand!
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even close.

I make low tech connections with either a vise grip or a bench vise using tinned cable. Yes, I know. I measure the resistance across these cables and they work fine. This was the first one I've had come apart. It's probably time to get a crimp tool.

Any suggestions on a good crimper that I can also use to make heavy duty halibut tackle?
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I have a set of wing nuts on my start battery that I've been meaning to switch out, and I keep an adjustable wrench right behind my helm chair (and not in the tool box) just for tightening them. If I finger tighten they always come loose.
BrentB

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use nylock nuts and washers on one battery the other a washer, lock washer and hex nut to see if one is better than the other.

I have an Ancor crimper mentioned earlier and plan to order a FTZ crimper soon. New and used ones show up on ebay often and other places but don't need one at moment and I expect local places will add lugs either from them or ones I supply but haven't checked.

No help on making halibut rigs but always wanted a bench crimper
thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use nylock nuts and washers on one battery the other a washer, lock washer and hex nut to see if one is better than the other.

There are those who suggest that Nylock nuts should not be used on battery terminals. The reason is the nylon insert may melt (550 F). Also less thread area than on a conventional nut. Also there are stories of the nylon having been heated, and when removal attempted the threaded rod in the battery breaking loose from the lead...This is far more likely to happen in high load diesel engines starting batteries than in a C Dory.

I don't use nylon inserted nuts, also because with time, the nylon is slightly less effective in preventing loosening...

I doubt if you will see any difference in the C Dory usefulness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: