The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

ETEC Cold Water Performance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Fisher

Your reply is worth a lot more than the 1c! Checked with EQ this a.m. and no service bulletins on the E-Tec 90.

Sure wasn't aware of the bad px relief valves on the big guys - but makes sense. I still have the bad valve from my 4 wheel toy and probably should mount it in diamonds! Difficult to spot the defect without a magnifier, but played havoc with the engine.

Hope that changing the valve will solve Tom's problem. IMO something his local dealer should have jumped on, but I'm not his local dealer!!! I did have some plug problems early on but they were soon solved.

30 bucks a gal. sounds expensive, but because I'm in the water all the time -- can't really change the oil and filter on my Honda 90 for much less and the E-Tec is great in that regard.

Dusty

Sawdust

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue I'd like to see get straightened out. The factory guy says that oil consumption is NOT controlled by temperature. Hmmmmmmm. If not, what does? Not my problem now but sure could be. Dang it, wish I was smarter - these new gadgets really tick (good word, Bill?) me off.

Duster
C-Fisher

City/Region: Lake Stevens
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Fisher
Photos: C-Fisher
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dusty, The service bulletins I got from my certified E-Tec dealer here in Everett at Bayside Marine, his name is Pete. The 90's was just about the software update.The pressure valve was only issued on the 225's. The oil consumption was explained to me as, the motor goes into an over oil mode when the no oil light comes on as it tries to make up for possible bad flow from thickening cold oil. I believe the software update sets the alarm values at a more reasonable setting. I got a lot more info on this problem on iboats.com in the Evinrude forums. There are a lot more people there with E-Tec's with a small fraction with these problems. As I said most all seem to be those that got the first ones made, like me.
Sawdust

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a whole lot. BUT, Tom's oil light is out and he still gets twice as much oil. Oh my!!! Gotta look into this.

I missed the iboat thingie - usually check that and a couple of others, but most of the problems - and very few of those - seem to be with the BIG engines.

Tks again,

Dusty
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These E-TECS sound great but there may be too many comptuers involved Cry and it may have been made too complicated than necessary. Sorry Dusty! Smile

The old simple carbureated engines work just fine Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep the group updated...

I sent Tom a "baseline" snapshot of a 90 Etec running at cruise and at WOT. I am sure he'll compare my readings to his and post back.

Keep in mind that air temp, barometric pressure, RPMs, and even the prop may make his readings slightly different than mine. Only a dramatic difference in findings would be indicative of a problem.

I tried to post pictures of these forms but it didn't work. I'll try again later as it seems there may be an issue with the site.

Craig

Sawdust

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

Just came back from an all-morning shrimp run with my E-Tec 90 -- water temp. in the low 40s - absolute jewel. Great MPG, smooth, all the good stuff. 3.0 gph at 3000 rpm sure gives a good cruise!! There are many of the E-Tecs around here and we exchange info whenever we meet -- the only complaint has been caused by sparkplug orientation.

Dusty
Rabidfish
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

Glad to hear yours is running well! I keep hoping I'll get a chance to do a little crabbin' with some of Ya'll soon! Pullin' pots in bad weather actually sounds like more fun than work! ( 'round here, we call guys like me "Hayseed" ) In the meantime, Keep them crab pics comin' !

My experience is much the same, pretty much all good news. I have had one with a "sticking" throttle, but turned out to be a minor issue that we correct before the boats ever leave here. I simply have had no other "issues".

I will say, I don't like the 40, 50, 60 hp as well as I like the 75/90. I think the Mercury 4 stroke 40 - 60hp is smoother at low speeds and works better on the 16 Angler/Cruiser. For 75hp plus, I prefer the Etec.

I like the 90 so well on the 19 Angler, I may keep the boat for myself... ( That is... if Cindy will let me! ) I consider the 19 Angler to be the "16 Angler" for FAT BOYS! Shocked

Craig
CherryBelle

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Cherry Belle
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Just a Comment on my Twin 50 Etech's: Reply with quote

I finally received my new Cdory the first week of May 2006. It is equipped with twin 50's. They seem to run fine so far. I have had the boat at Whittier for over two weeks and I didnt venture out to far, and stayed in Passage Canal dropping and retrieving shrimp pots.
It included idle time but ran the motors for 12.5 hrs each and filled up the tanks. It took 20 gallons total, so running 25 hours total (both motors)
using less than a gallon a hour seems very good.
With both motors at 5400 rpm I am able to run around 24 knots in calm seas. The boat seems to handle best between 18 and 20 knots. With
one motor down I am able to run 14 knots properly trimmed. The motors
did smoke a little the first few hours but assume that was break in computer controlled. They say "no Break in", but the rep told me the reason for that is that it is done automatically.
I don't care what they say, the Etech motors are not as quiet as my Yamaha
50/35 on my fishrite river boat. They are not as loud as the older 2 strokes, but they are still loud in comparison as far as I am concerned.

I sure do enjoy the twins for docking control. Someone lost a 1/2 inch
rope and one of the engines picked it up and stopped the motor immediately. The second motor made me very happy in that instance.
I was able to move into calm water and cut the rope off the prop. It fired right up and ran perfectly.

Just my two cents worth. I almost passed on the Etech from posts here, but I think I will be happy with them.

With Regards

Mike Anchorage AK
tpbrady

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can now report that BRP fixed my motor last Wednesday by replacing a leaking pressure relief valve and gasket. Basically for the last year I was running cold water through the block. The BRP field technician explained that up until 1800 RPM cooling is controlled by the thermostat. No water should be flowing through the pressure valve. Above that rpm, the pressure valve starts releasing water into the cooling jacket as the pressure builds until it is fully open.

Over the last 5 days the motor was running as designed, with no plug fouling at low speed, smooth idling even though cold (water temp about 36) and air temps in the morning in the high 30's. Fuel economy was much improved while going heavy (3 people, 2 kayaks, full fuel, water, beer, food, inflatable, and just about everything else. On Navman fuel economy was 3.5 mpg. On return trip with only 2 people, 2 kayaks, one inflatable and less of everything else was 3.8 mpg. All weekend I burned 25 gallons and covered nearly 90 miles.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-

Glad you / they finally folund and corrected the problem!

Sounds like a simple malfunction and fix compared to the various possibilities you folks were going through to find it.

Enjoy your summer!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Rabidfish
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the engine is back to normal...

I hope now you get a chance to regain confidence in it and that your service guys have learned something they won't repeat again...

Good Luck!

Craig
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Great news! I'm sure you are extremely glad to have that behind you! Hats off to you and the BRP guys for finally figuring out the problem.

seahorse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tpbrady"]I can now report that BRP fixed my motor last Wednesday by replacing a leaking pressure relief valve and gasket. Basically for the last year I was running cold water through the block. [/quote]

Glad to hear that the motor is running like it should and that the problem was what we discussed back in Feb. of this year. Most engine complaints are very simple fixes that are overlooked or ignored by others.
tpbrady

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's help and comments. The motor ran has run beautifully since the fix. Idle is smooth, starts was a slight turn of the key. We just hung twin 200 ETEC's on a 28 foot Jetcraft. Didn't see the result of the first cruise, but should have a report next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: