The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anybody within 300 Miles North of Charleston Able to Help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBlalock wrote:
I may have what you need. I live on the ICW 5 miles east of Swansboro, NC and I have the right trailer. Also a good ramp to take out. Tools and halfass mech skills. Sending personal email.

One C-Brat in need, another C-Brat comes to the rescue......Priceless!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and I have discussed increased interval of oil changes, as well as options. My experience on that size block was with the 130 (different block and engine than the 150), and I felt that I was not able to get all of the oil out with vacuum devices. So I also went longer than the 100 hours when on long cruises. I don't know exactly how much oil I was leaving in--but felt it was over 10%. On the other hand, not changing the filter at the 100 hours, does leave some old oil in there also. One has a valid argument either way.

Honda's recommended way is to drain thru the plug in the bottom of the pan--.

Pat is running almost every day, most of the time at about 2000 RPM, only one start a day (starting is the hardest on the engine, because of lack of oil in all of the critical areas). There is no time sitting for long times for water contaminates. Pat is running the engine up to temperature. The Honda 150 is the Accord 2.4 Liter block--and that has oil change intervals from 3,000 to as much as 8,000 miles depending on driving conditions. The 2000 RPM with no high loads (like getting on plane) simulates the best conditions, and thus I estimate that this is about 200 hours on the automotive engine. On long passages where I have had tp run a diesel engine (running 24 hours a day at 1300 RpM (slow displacement speeds) I moved the oil change interval up to 200 hours--and as Brent noted, check the appearance of the oil)

With the 6000 miles of the loop this would be 1000 engine hours. Oil change at 100 hour intervals would be every 24 days! (Assuming 8 months to do the loop)

There are many industrial engines which run for years without shutting down for an oil change--they use huge filters on the oil, and a little is replaced at a time.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Anybody within 300 Miles North of Charleston Able to Help? Reply with quote

We run our Honda engines in our cars for a year on Mobil One synthetic. It works out to about 15k per year as far as the actual mileage. No ill effects noted
D.D.

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cannot accept Honda’s one-size-fits-all oil change interval. Honda 150’s outboards are used all over the world, from the arctic to the tropics. They take ungodly abuse in both commercial and third world county use, yet Honda recommends 100 hour oil changes across the board.

I truly feel Honda is being way too conservative when it comes to using synthetics, or use in ideal environments such as Pat is now experiencing. I personally have no heartburn with changing my outboard oil every 200 hours while doing the loop, or when in other user-friendly conditions, but then again, I never change my automotive engine oil at 3000 miles as recommended by my ‘expert’ mechanics at the nearby Jiffy Lube.

Bottom line- I plan to change my oil while on ‘The Loop’ at my convenience, versus the one-size-fits-all interval that Honda chooses.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Pat get one of these they work great you can use to remove or add oil thru the dip stick tube.

There is one of these in my future! I was a little leary but on page 60 of the Honda BF135 - BF150 Manual, Engine Oil Change, it says "An engine oil evacuation device may be used to remove the engine oil." I will order one from Amazon as soon as we have identified a marina for them to send it to for me.

So then my only issue becomes disposal of the used oil, but I assume somewhere near most marinas there is some oil recycling facility. Seven quarts of 10W-30 of the correct service category, and the oil is changed. The oil filter change does not look too difficult either, although it seems it might be a bit difficult to capture the oil coming out of the filter. This can all be done with the boat in the water. Still have to figure out the lower unit lube, which appears to require the boat be out of the water...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Bob&Alicia

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: GA
Photos: Bob&Alicia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
Most ship's stores will sell the sheets of Oil Absorbent pads. They will probably give you a couple 12x12 sheets at the fuel dock if you're filling up.

I use a plastic bag with 1/2 of an Oil Absorbent sheet inside the plastic bag to go over the filter as I unscrew it. The second sheet is stuffed around the engine to catch drips. The remaining half goes wherever I didn't realize I needed it.

These sheets work really well. They absorb oil/diesel but not water. I have used them to soak up a bilge that had a bunch of diesel fuel in it. It took a bunch of sheets but by the time I was done you really couldn't see any diesel left. I used the red dyed off road diesel so it was easy to see. I have been an advocate ever sense.

I have never changed the lower unit unless it was out of the water. I had a friend did it in waist deep water where he didn't have any wave/boat traffic. He tilted the motor just enough to get a plastic pan under it and used a NPT fitting on the end of the extractor to screw into the bottom drain plug and then took the top plug out and pumped it out with the extractor. He then measured in an old soda bottle how much came out put only that much back in. It worked but it could have been messy if the floating plastic pan got knocked over or he dropped the plug in the water etc.

Bob

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: oil change Reply with quote

Pat ,You might want to rethink changing the oil with the boat in the water .The EPA really frowns on oil discharge in the water .I would take Dave D and Dr. Bob's advise Change the oil at 200-250 hr intervals just change out filter at each 100 hour interval if it concerns you . Just check to see how the oil looks and feels. At 2000rpm there is not much load on the engine .Good Luck whatever you decide to do Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one important thing I had not mentioned, is to get an oil analysis at the 100, and 200 hour levels. See how the oil is holding up. You can send a sample off, and then have the results E-mailed to you.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it easy to empty Mightyvac?

I love my $40 Topsider for ease of use and just remove the pump when done, and pour waste oil in a recycle bucket and screw on storage cap. Cleaning the hoses takes a few minutes to drain then storage in baggies. Made to last for many years. Easy to store, too, pump is removed and all in placed inside original box for a small foot print. m2cw

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the Honda's but on my Suzuki I can take a scratch awl and punch a hole at the top of the filter and then one at the bottom and drain the oil into a cup then there is very little oil left when you spin the filter off. My service manual says to change the oil every 100 hours and the filter every 200 hours. At low rpms I wouldnt have an issue with doubling the hours. If you haven't been having any issues with the lower end I would do it every other time as well.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, MAJOR thanks to Benton and Ann Blalock in Newport, North Carolina! We are set up to meet them on Sunday and pull Daydream so we can do all the maintenance at their home! There is also a shower, dinner and a double bed involved here! C-Brats are so great and generous!
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the best!

We keep a spray of Dawn dish soap for any accidental leaks into water
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: