The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What to do if you lose steerage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: What to do if you lose steerage? Reply with quote

After rescuing a boat yesterday that lost it's steerage, I've been wondering about what to do if a similar thing happens to me. On a couple of occasions when the boat hasnt' been recently used, my steering bound up and took considerble force to break it loose. That's a sovlable problem and I keep things lubed up better now. However, someday, I could possibly break a steering cable and be in a similar sitautation to the fella I pulled off the beach yesterday. So if this happens, what's the best way to jury rig a steering solution to get home? Let's assume I have power and can get the engines running straight. Let's also assume I have a plethora of lines, tape (lots of duct tape) sealant, a paddle or two etc. Can I duct tape a paddle to my main to gain enough leverage to steer it? Is there a good way to rig a paddle as a rudder? What should I do? I have twins so with two throttles I can probably steer well enough to get in but I have never tried that. Also some of us operate with singles so a single solution should also be presented. Best to figure this out on shore so I can handle it before it happens. DoD must have some thoughts on this... Dusty maybe has solved this before??
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower kicker into the water, start engine, have wife man the tiller while I stay warm in cabin. Laughing
Seriously, if you have the twins strait on you should be able to steer enough with the engines themselves.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steerage? That's down in the bowels of the ship by the rudder where the riff raff ride. C-Dorys don't have steerage.

I have thought many times about that. I still have the cable, and everytime I am crossing the bar or in a stiff wind and current I wonder what would happen if the cable broke or otherwise quit. There wouldn't be much time to decide. My first move would be to drop the kicker and use the tiller handle. But even that thought is spooky on the bar or close to a breaking spit.

With twins around 40 hp, I think a tiller handle would work really well. It might be a good idea to have one made up, with attachment hardware in place on one or both of the motors. It would be a simple thing to invent, and quick to put on. Without a second hand to work the throttle it could be interesting, but it's still better than seeing what you drift into. My 130 might be a little more difficult, but if the conditions allow any time at all, there is no doubt in my mind that I could quickly fashion a pole to turn the motor with whatever I might find on board. But for me, I think using the kicker and calling for help if outside or anywhere close to danger would do the trick.

Thanks a lot, Roger. Now you got me worried. But really, short of towing another boat around all the time there is no way to reasonably prepare for all the things that could go haywire. Losing fuel flow for whatever reason, knocking out both props, losing timing belts, blowing up the motor(s), or having the transom bust off are probably not so much less likely than losing the steering cable. That is one tough piece of wire rope inside. There are more things that can stop your means of control than you can imagine. There, sleep with that one tonight.

Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to bear bad news, but....

The only job of your steering is to steer. If the cable is binding, then it is bad... even if you can free it up... Would you continue to run an oil pump that worked "most" of the time?

As a "better" repair shop would say... prevent it from breaking by replacing it when you know it isn't up to snuff, not after it breaks.

Or a Grandfather.... ounce of prevention... pound of cure...

I have a question... Does anyone with a hydraulic steering wish they had a cable? My apologies... I am not trying to be a smartarse. This is my opinion and an opinion is all that it is.

Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often when running off-step, I'll keep main engine going, and thrust-steer with kicker. Mostly that's part of my trolling: situations come up.

I'd say; the gears inside the aluminum housing will bust, before the cable inside the housing does Idea When the steering gets slack, it's usually time to replace or upgrade.

I agree about having an emergency-tiller to hook on to the main. Just you have to unbolt the cable first Confused

You also know (don't you) you can steer the 22 foot C-D by simply going from port to starboard in the cockpit Idea won't work in rough water though Thumbs Down
rogerbum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabidfish:

In my case, the couple of times the steering was tough, it was not the cable that was binding but rather the greased zerk fittings on the linkages at the engines - flushing them out with lots of fresh grease solved that problem...
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and hey, Greg, did you know that you can steer a '63 Plymouth by opening and closing the doors? Why, once in North Dakota ........
LOL
Al

Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good. You may want to remove the steering cable from the engine and clean out the tube.(shotgun brush run through it with solvent works best) Make sure you get the cable ram end clean also.

Next fully extend the cable end to regrease the ram end. Reassemble the cable to the engine, be liberal with the grease here...and install a rubber steering cable boot(available at most repair shops) to keep water out. Grease your zerks often and you should be good for several years of maintenace free boating.

This kind of care will keep you from having to worry about the cable...
( Read: More time for fishing! (Not that i would know about more time for fishing...)) GOOD LUCK!
Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: if you have them Reply with quote

Trim tabs should work for emergency steerage I would think.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cable on another boat bind up on the back of a very long lake once. I disconnected the cable and steered by pushing on the motor with my foot. just brace my back on the gunnel and plant one foot on the side of the engine and push. not really hard to do. Also I think we need to mention the use of a anchor. if you cant fix or rigg your steering then drop the anchor until you can figure something out. Watched a guy in a small boat on a lake drift into rocks while trying to restart his engine. he had a anchor on board but got so panicked that he forgot he had it.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibilities for problems and solutions are nearly endless, but if the motor is locked in or will stay in a straight forward position, one can steer with a paddle along side the hull much like at the rear of a canoe at lower speeds. Might have to switch sides to get a fulcrum point to steer in the opposite direction. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: if you have them Reply with quote

kayla-J wrote:

BINGO Thumbs Up I don't know why I let that one slip by me.... I do it when on-step, steer-by-trim... Idea it works great. Usually when in super-calm water, I'll reach for the trim, steada working the wheel all the time... mostly out of amusement, or when standing by the helm...
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there must be another use for JB Weld in here somewhere . . .

I carry a long oar (fits on top of the tanks) and have lashed it to the engine (loose) on another boat and steered with the paddle. Not delicate and you can't go fast, but it is another method that works to get back in if needed.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: if you have them Reply with quote

kayla-J wrote:

Yet another good reason to have trim tabs!

Tom,

I agree about the anchor comment. I mentioned that to the fella I brought in (twice in fact). Had he dropped his, he would have been home and dry MUCH earlier and it would have been MUCH easier to lend assistance.

Roger
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
On my boat the small engine is connected to the main by a detachable rod. I always thought if the steering cable broke I could use the small motor handle to steer the big main. Not going to break any speed records but should work. Only one nut to take off.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: