The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lower Carrier Bearing Housing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. Unfortunately I have hit the end of the modified puller with a hammer while trying to remove. I won't do this anymore but yes will give light taps to the sides of where the housing is stuck. I will make sure to inspect everything carefully before re installation. Live and learn. I'll update the progress when I come back next Saturday and the proper tool should have arrived. I talked to a Yami mechanic who said you often have to repaint the lower unit because it may be necessary to get it so hot that the paint is removed.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working on Evinrude/Johnsons, I would heat the housings 'till the paint smoked' . Sometimes past that point, so a repaint would be needed. If heating, try to get the heat into the housing fast, perhaps two torches at once. The idea is to heat the housing, and not have too much heat transfer to the carrier.
Never use an acetylene torch, they get hot enough to melt aluminum. MAPP gas works faster than propane, and should not melt anything.

I would tension the puller first, then apply heat, and then tighten the puller.

Good luck on your repair.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up having to take the Lower unit to a mechanic. The tool I referenced earlier (Marine Tech) was too large my F40. The Mechanic was able to remove it but broke both bolt flanges in the process. Every other Mechanic I talked to over the phone said there is no guaruntee it won't break upon removal so I hold nothing against this mechanics work. I'm happy he was just able to remove it. He works exclusively on Yamahas, communicates well, and charges a fair price. For the time being I installed new seals and O rings and it is being held in place with washers and the bolts to the parts of the flanges that are still there. I'm going to buy a used unit and replace it in when I get back from Shasta next week.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! and sorry about the other stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: