View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: 16th Annual Catalina Off-Shore Adventure C-Dory Gathering Reply with quote

The 16th Annual Catalina Off-Shore Adventure is hereby scheduled from Sunday, July 30, 2017 to Saturday, August 5, 2017. Please mark your 2017 calendars.

See last year for details on this trip. Please indicate 2017 attendance on this thread. All C-Cory’s are invited.

More will be posted later.

Jim & Kath

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put Dora Jean down, thanks Jim!
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting in for time off- hoping to do Catalina this year.
If able to go--- we will be leaving from Channel Islands Harbor for the 4 hour trip to Two Harbors on Sunday 7/30 and returning to Channel Islands Harbor on Saturday 8/5.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vega and Far C'r will be coming barring something unforseen

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are thinking of bringing "Serenity" my son's 25 from Dana Point. We won't know our exact schedule until later in the year,. We know from past years it is a great gathering.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could make this trip, but this happens to be one of the weeks we are out of town this summer. We are over in Catalina nearly every weekend, so if anyone needs any intel or fishing recommendations, just let me know.

Enjoy Catalina!

24' Tomcat- Oski
22' Cruiser- C-Pelican
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel and Susan will be there...joining C-halk for his 4 hour cruise...

Joel
SEA3PO
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to come. But one west coast trip a summer, not to mention all the other trips we're taking/planning... But one of these years I need to make the Catalina gathering... Colby
Bluechablis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I have been enjoying your videos for the last couple of years and since you offered yourself to brain picking.... I notice a spot that you like to anchor and go ashore but I can't seem to figure out where that is on the map. Here is a google map that I have created with the places that I know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xANObiyo2AG4hiuQ7Sv2ofaqJhM&usp=sharing

I've been coming over to Catalina for many many years but never seemed to get it all explored especially with sailboats. Now that I have a C-Dory I would love to find all the nooks and crannies. Any other locations you might think of to put on the map I would be really appreciative.

One of these days we are bound to run into each other, I keep Far C'r in San Pedro at the dry boat storage

Floyd
(not sure why my signature isn't showing up)
trpsurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd,
One of my bucket list items is to stand on every beach (even the tiny rocky ones) at Catalina Island. Earlier this year I checked off every beach on the front side, from the West End to the East End light.

Of all the beaches on the front side, easily my favorite is Rippers Cove. On your google map it is labeled "Valley of Ollas." There are two beaches, one with a few campsites and another that is just sand. My second favorite is called Cabrillo Harbor (which is not really a harbor- just an open anchorage. This spot is just west of Goat Harbor and above the MLPA boundary. There is a great rocky beach and a large 30' Rock pillar lies just off the beach. You can jump off the rock at high tide, if you are a thrill seeker. This is also a good spot for yellowtail (anchor in 60-80 feet of water) if the current is running west to east.

My boat is just across the way in Cabrillo Marina ("Hurricane Gulch") and would love to meet up at the island some time. My kids always see C-Dory 22's and remember our old boat very fondly. They would get a kick out of seeing another 22'.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim,

This is a little off topic, but I've been looking for a way to hike from the North facing side of Catalina to the airport, maybe around Goat Harbor, any information on a trail from there? In the past (way past) I've hiking many times from Little Harbor to the airport, but it's a grueling (long) 7.5 miles each way, about 9-10 hrs including lunch.
trpsurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two trails from the middle of the frontside up to the road. Both are basically up a canyon and involve some scrambling. The first is out behind the campground at Rippers cove. It leads to the road that connects into Empire Landing.

The second "trail" (I am using the quotes quite liberally) is out of Cabrillo Harbor. You follow the trail on the East end of the beach, then head up a ridge. I did this once and probably wouldn't do it again. You basically have to climb through fields of cactus. No fun.

The hiking options are actually limited. There are some new trails coming to the island, but they really won't go anywhere you can hike from a remote beach.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/lifestyle/20161012/nearly-27-miles-of-new-trails-coming-to-catalina-island
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Catalina for 2 summers in the early 1950's (also a one week summer camper '46 thru '51)--a long time ago. I have regularly gone there 1946 thru 1992, on my or my father's boats, I have hiked most of the Island.

Probably the easiest North side hike to the "Airport in the SKY"--Black Jack, is from White's Landing. There is a dirt road to the central road. It is long and very hot in the summer--with no water (all of the Island). The current map shows a road from Camp Fox (Button shell Beach--just East of Long Point)- it was not there when I worked there in the 50's. It will be steep, but shorter than the one from Long Point. Problem is that all of these coves with camps are semi restricted to the public and you would have to have permission to pass over the camp leased property. I suspect that most people would freely be given permission.

I have taken the "Trail" in and out of Coat Harbor a number of times, and as Tim noted, all of these are steep. There were a few times when campers could not make it back on a round trip hike, and we had to take a boat to "Rescue" them--these are 8 to 15 year old kids--so for the most part agile.

The hikes out of Cabrillo and Rippers are approximately the same difficulty--maybe Goat Harbor a little steeper. These are all more difficult, but shorter than the trip from Little Harbor.

Anyone who hikes Catalina, needs to be aware that there are rattlesnakes on the Island. As Tim noted--lots of cactus (and I have spent hours pulling thorns out of folks who were "hapless"...Also I have seen several rescues of folks who got down a cliff and could not get back up (Helicopter LA Sheriff). I have also seen several very bad accidents from falls--with death and permanent brain damage. I would advise to stick to the roads and trails as noted on Google maps, Google Earth or the Island conservancy trails. Often the steep cliff don't show up well even on the best maps and photo's--a topo map might also help--but not always give the perfect route.
Bluechablis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim!

Feel free to place and annotate a marker on any other secret places you might find on my map. I added Ripper and Cabrillo to the map. I can't wait to get my Grandson out on the boat, he is 2, and have the kind of experiences your children are enjoying.

Looking forward to more Catalina trips this year as I will be able to spend more time and explore. Will keep an eye peeled for you.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim and Dr. Bob. That's the kind of information that's very hard to get, personal knowledge. I have done the Little Harbor to Airport in the Sky hike 4 times, the last was much hotter (February) and thus much harder, nearly exhausted at 1/2 the way back -- with both kids with me (9 and 15 at the time). Now my daughter, her husband and friends are undertaking a 1/2 marathon this year, they are pretty hardy people.

What I don't take away is whether there is any good way to get there from the North side. From what you've said, the better route would be following a canyon, steep, but better than a ridge line. So I guess I'll look closely at Rippers Cove and White's Landing as the better candidates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: