The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mounting Downriggers on 16' 2002 Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PortHuronBob

City/Region: Port Huron
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Mounting Downriggers on 16' 2002 Cruiser Reply with quote

My uncle recently purchased a 16' 2002 Cruiser and would like to mount Downriggers. Any suggestions in mounting locations or things to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Downriggers on 16' 2002 Cruiser Reply with quote

PortHuronBob wrote:
My uncle recently purchased a 16' 2002 Cruiser and would like to mount Downriggers. Any suggestions in mounting locations or things to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't have a C Dory [yet], but out here on the West Coast, the general practice is to try to mount them as far back as you can. Makes for easier turns without fouling the lines up on propellers and things like that.
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted downriggers on my 16 cruiser last summer. You can see where I drilled the holes if you look at my photos in the album titled "bottom paint, downriggers, and something..." (Sorry, I forgot how to copy over the photos...) Anyway, I put them as far back as practical. They sort of straddle the line where transom starts (ends?).

I over drilled the holes and then undercut them with a dremel and filled with epoxy. There is a lot of advice on this site on how to do that and why you might want to. There are photos in the album of the underneath showing the painters tape I used to keep the epoxy in and the foam filler in the side walls. I sort of mounted where the foam ended, but I did have to scrape it away a bit on one side.

I also bought some starboard (it is like the thick plastic cutting boards) to use as a backer for added strength. All in all it was pretty easy, even with the extra steps, and they have been rock solid. In fact, I really should be out getting her ready for fishing season. It is pretty much here!

Hope that helps.

Jackie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: