Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Installing Honda 2000 or similar Reply with quote

Does anyone have a safe proven way to install and gas gen. on a C-dory
so we don't CO ourselves?

I have a 23 Venture. I have no room for solar as that is where my
zodiac sits.

Thank you
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Honda EU2000i gas genny last year. I place it on the swim step when I'm anchored and will only run it from there (and in calm seas). The exhaust then can be directed away easily. I tried it in the cockpit and didn't like it.

I only used my generator a few times last year because I bought my boat in late August. This season will be a better test for it. It's not exactly the most ideal setup but it works when I'm away from my shore power at the marina.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my Honda 1000 on a folding step stool that is on the swim step. I put a couple of eyes in the side of the step and use a ratchet tie down strap to secure it. I also have a steel cable that goes to a u-bolt in the cockpit so that the gen doesn't "wander off" so easily. The securing cable is on whether the gen is being used or stowed.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did on my 23:

There are more photos in my photo album, in the sub-album "NORO LIM - Generator Platform."

My platform with a Honda 2000 on it fit perfectly in the splashwell with twin Yamaha 70's. There was no interference with raising or turning the outboards. Can't guarantee you could do the same with your twin Hondas, but my off the top guess is that the Yamaha cowling profile may make for a tighter fit than the Honda. Anyway, I did a lot of measuring and mock-ups before I was convinced I could make it work. I was very happy with the outcome.

Last edited by NORO LIM on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it was a nice install Bill. Where did you get those mounting brackets? I can think of a few things those could be used for.
Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure out for to attach photos, but if you open my photos, the one on the bottom shows the mount that was fabricated for our Honda 2000
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
That looks like it was a nice install Bill. Where did you get those mounting brackets? I can think of a few things those could be used for.

The bracket is from an outfit called "V-Lock": http://www.v-lock.com/

I found it on line some years ago. They were very nice people to work with, and their product was very well made. I've used a couple of their products for a number of things. The brackets have removable pins, so it's easy to lift the generator platform out of the splashwell. The v-shaped, slotted (and more-or-less vertical) piece is permanently attached to the outside wall of the splashwell, but the angled piece is easily removed.

I altered the angle of the brace from 90 degrees slightly to make the platform horizontal, since the splashwell wall itself is not exactly vertical. I think they might do that kind of customizinig for you, if you gave them the measurements, but you'd have to ask.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may get a mount this season. Now Im just using a ratchet strap.....
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.We have been running Honda small generators on boats for over 40 years (still have the first one). Since 2002 we have been running either Honda EU 2000 or EU 1000. All of the time has been on the swim step, on a crate, on the lazarette hatch on the plot side, or a flat starboard piece which fits into a socket on the lazarette. The key is to be sure that the exhaust is pointed, and then blown aft. We do not go to sleep with the generator on. We have at least 2 CO alarms--one in the V bunk area, and the other in the helm, area, near the level of our heads. Never had those alarms go off.

Where we can put the generator on the dock or land, we do so--such as Lake Powell.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DBBRanger

City/Region: Ridgway
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody concerned with storing the genset below deck even though the vent is closed and the fuel on/off switch is turned to off? I do it but worry about gas fumes.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not store the Generator in the cabin--it stays in the cockpit when not in use. We lift it up each time. When it becomes too much to lift the EU1000 (20 #), we will use our davit.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Baxter, we have used a Honda 2000 on the swimstep a few times. Although it works fine we found that the sound (quiet as it is...) in an otherwise quiet anchorage was not for us, so we don't bother with the generator any more (but we keep it handy for hurricanes!).

One thing we did do that was useful. Before lifting the generator on to the swimstep, we put a Type IV (PFD) cushion on the step, then sat the generator on the cushion (it fits perfectly...), then strapped the generator in place. The cushion acts as a vibration-absorber and keeps the vibration from being transmitting into the hull. Handy, and easy.

Best,
Casey&Mary

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I have a Honda generator is for those times I want to be able to use the AC unit when anchored out.

Other than one cruise to test it out, we have not actually used it.

The generator could also be used to recharge the house batteries without running the main motor(s). However, depending on what size charger you have, it might be faster to run the main motor instead (it is in my case). The gen does provide a way of recharging the main batteries if you happen to run them down and can't start the main motor. This might be a useful backup if you are boondocking in your boat.
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used our generator on long range cruising only. It did "save" us at least once when we found ourselves in a very remote place with dead batteries. However, although we always carried it on extended cruises, we used it sparingly. These small Hondas are remarkably quite, but if you are really out in the boonies at a quite anchorage - well, let's just say we found the noise incompatible with the ambience. In other settings, consideration of nearby boaters affected our decision to start the generator.

That's not to say we didn't use it at all. Where we live and boat it can be quite cold, and really, really wet. So for us, heating rather than cooling, is a priority. The generator allowed carrying a small electric heater and fan that could warm and dry out the cabin. There were plenty of times when this use of the generator seemed a lot more like a necessity than a luxury.

Like Thataway Bob, we installed detectors, and didn't run the generator inside the cockpit or store it in the cabin, and never left it running while we slept. Like the OP, Baxter, we had a full-height transom on our 23 Venture.
The platform we used in the splashwell put the exhaust port of the generator below the level of the cockpit gunwales and the transom top.

Bill, Formerly on NORO LIM
Bob&Alicia

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: GA
Photos: Bob&Alicia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 2000 use Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha 1000 and last year bought a 2000. I really like the Yamaha. I did a side by side and seems slightly quieter and a little less vibration than the Honda and it was cheaper.

I have a rounded piece of starboard with stainless strap eyes on the port aft seat by the engine splash well on my 2007 25. I point the exhaust aft. When anchored the boat should rest head to wind. We keep all windows/door closed and have a CO2 detector. One built in and a home version one in the berth.

I fuel it just enough for the time I want to use it. I bought 6' of fuel line and a fitting for the line that goes onto racor filter. That way we can fuel from the Cdory tank. I have an outboard fuel pump bulb about halfway down the hose. Pump with the hose poited up. Put your finger on the end. Pump with finger removed and on the release cover the end to create vacuum. Use a clear fuel line so you can see gas location.

We store it under the table with the fuel supply cut off and vent cap closed. Even when I have brought it inside when a storm came over we didn't smell any gas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: