The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mini-jacker with Lenco trim tabs question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Mini-jacker with Lenco trim tabs question Reply with quote

I've been reading your threads on mounting kicker brackets. Lots of useful information found. Almost everything I read seemed to say the mini-jacker will allow a kicker to clear trim tabs. Then I read this.... "22 with Lenco tabs, the actuator arms terminate higher on the transom, so he wasn't able to get clearance (for the top of the actuator arm) without shimming out the Mini-Jacker."

I have Lenco 12" trim tabs. So my question for those with experience on Lenco trim tabs: Is the mini-jacker the way to go? What worked well for you? Links to pix appreciated.
Apparently the MJ can be made to work, but on a nice looking boat I prefer not to have a "scabbed" look.

Input appreciated. I'll be putting on a 9.9hp merc bigfoot, 25" shaft.
Mel
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the imbedded album within my main photo album for my kicker install. Not sure if we are talking the same mini jacker or not, but yes, I shimmed mine out some, and with the 6hp Tohatsu kicker trimmed at the right position, I have about 1/2" - 1" clearance between it and my trim tabs. Colby
AKMel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the input from someone with the same setup.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice install.
Looking at though, access to replace a trim acuator will be tough.
One thought, instead of the shims shown. Have a aluminum fab shop make some 3/4 or 1" thick shims, with threaded holes to mount the mini jacker. The aluminum shims would be through bolted to the transom.
This would make it easy to remove the mini jacker to have access to the trim acuator.
alan

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat has the Lenco trim tabs with a Honda BF90A with permatrim and an 8HP Honda long shaft kicker. I purchased a mini jacker and found that I did not need it. I mounted the kicker directly on the transom and it works great. Clearances are close, but everything does clear and it keeps the motor closer to you and easier to lift up. Our Kicker is mounted on the port side and we don't have to deal with all the control cables being in the way of a direct transom mount, so I don't know if this would work well with a starboard side mount.
If any one needs a mini jacker I have a brand new one that has been sitting in my shop for several years.

AKMel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. With mini-jacker and spacers Colby only clears his trim tabs by an inch max. But you don't need mini-jacker. Are your trim tabs 12 inch deep like ours?

I too am going to mount to port. I can't actually check with the kicker mounted right now because it's in Alaska and I'm in California for a few more weeks. I sent you a PM.
drbridge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Lenco Trim tabs are 9" wide by 12" Long. At a full lock turn to port the kicker comes about a half inch from the tab when tab is in the up position. Our kicker is a Honda BF8D long shaft.
AKMel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's the same size as my tabs.

If some kickers clear and others don't, I'm wondering whether different kickers may have different setbacks from the transom mount face to the shaft housing??? It doesn't seem logical to me that there would be five inches difference from one kicker to another, but I guess it's possible.
drbridge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Should add that mounted directly to the transom we always run our kicker tied to the main motor. If untied the housing of the kicker will make contact with the housing of the main motor before it reaches full lock to starboard. The only time I would possibly use the kicker untied would be in the event of a complete steering system failure. It could be done but would be awkward trying to steer with just the kicker. Not because of contact with the main motor, but because of having to operate the kicker motor with the tiller part way up since it is mounted on the port side.
AKMel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Thanks.
Sent you a PM. Mel
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, no issue to replace an actuator. Still easy enough to work on it. (With the kicker removed or tilted up.) Also, not that hard to remove the mini jacker if I had too. I made the shims out of hard nylon. Not sure what would be any different about making them out of Aluminum. The kickers ventilation plate is even with the bottom of my boat. Sort of the same place the trim tabs are. Yes, I'm pretty sure I have 12" tabs. There is no way I could clear the tabs if I were to place my kicker directly on the transom. The mini jacker probably brings the kicker out about 5 or 6 inches, and I still have the kicker trimmed out a few slots on the motor trim plate. But it's pretty much vertical in the run position.

Just looked closer at my photos, and will look at my boat later tomorrow, but I just don't think there is anyway you could mount the kicker directly to the transom with 12" Lenco Trim tabs, and clear them, unless you have the kicker trimmed up pretty hi. At least not with the kicker and boat I have... Colby
drbridge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked closer at my photos, and will look at my boat later tomorrow, but I just don't think there is anyway you could mount the kicker directly to the transom with 12" Lenco Trim tabs, and clear them, unless you have the kicker trimmed up pretty hi. At least not with the kicker and boat I have... Colby

I don't know how to post pictures on the forum, but I have placed some photos of our kicker mounted with the Lenco trim tabs in our photo album.
The last photo on the first page and the first 2 photos on page 2 show our set up. We have been using it for several seasons like this and no complaints. when the kicker is in the up position it is turned to the port side and is cradled perfectly against the port side of transom well.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:

I don't know how to post pictures on the forum, but I have placed some photos of our kicker mounted with the Lenco trim tabs in our photo album.
The last photo on the first page and the first 2 photos on page 2 show our set up. We have been using it for several seasons like this and no complaints. when the kicker is in the up position it is turned to the port side and is cradled perfectly against the port side of transom well.

Here is a photo--you have the kicker in the last set of pins--and thus being "up" it clears the trim tab.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Mini Jacker with Lenco Trim Tabs Questions Reply with quote

Doug noted " when the kicker is in the up position it is turned to the port side and is cradled perfectly against the port side of transom well."

We have a CD 22 with a 9.9 hp Honda on a mini jacker with Lenco tabs. It is mounted on the port side. It is the same engine essentially as the Honda 8 hp in terms of size. Ours has electric trim and tilt so there is some more bulk around the transom mount as a result. This all works fine with the Lenco tabs. One difference is that with the mini jacker the kicker sits aft and more to port than if installed on the transom directly. As a result, when it is up it doesn't cradle perfectly against the port side of the transom well but rather sits a bit awkwardly as it is farther back and farther over. It works ok but I have to get it close to the edge of the well and then lock it down so it doesn't rub.

We also run ours locked to the main engine so they steer together. Since it is a port mount with the tiller to port, tiller steering is compromised as the tiller movement is limited by the transom well.

Just additional considerations as one decides whether to transom mount or mini jacker mount. Both approaches work when carefully installed.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the water now, and I forgot to look at and take some closer photos of my setup before we launched. I'll do my best to remember tomorrow when we pull out between lakes. Enjoying some of the Salt River lakes near Phoenix now. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: