The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Labor Day San Juan Trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Labor Day San Juan Trip Reply with quote

Hi all,

I hope my boat is built and rd by Labor Day. I was thinking of taking a cruise in the San Juan's for Labor Day. Let me preface this post by saying I have never been to the San Juan's. I was hoping maybe some of you who have been can give me some pointers for a nice multi day cruise.

I should by that time have my 23 C-Dory rd to go.

What I would like to know is what is a good place to have my boat put in. I rather have a lift do it than trailering it into salt water. Second what route would you take for 5 days 3 nights of relaxed cruising and sight seeing?

Any pointers for a novice, things I should watch for etc, any help or advice would be appreciated. We plan on this being our true multi-day maiden voyage. Thinking sept 1st through 5th.

We live in Portland, OR I would be happy to buy anyone with experience who could give me pointers a beer at any local watering hole.

Anyone who wants to join us would be welcome too - the more the merrier. We are chill boaters, not in it for rushing rather relaxing, having a good time and cruising for fun.

Thanks,
Harald & Heather

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great first trip if your boat is ready in time!

The obvious sling-launch choice would be Cap Sante in Anacortes. That was my preference until getting a spot at a dry-stack marina in Anacortes. If you do decide to dunk your trailer in salt, then Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham is the best launch near the San Juans. Lots of parking and a good fresh-water wash-down area.

There are lots of cruising destinations in the San Juans, and even on busy holiday weekends you can find space at docks and at State buoys. Every day around 10 AM is like musical chairs, with people coming and going, so if you are making a move on Labor Day Saturday or Sunday just be ready to jump into place around 10 or 11. Last year I spent Labor Day at Sucia Island one of the most popular islands, but stayed in one of the quieter and more remote coves with only 4 buoys (Ewing Cove). The question is, do you prefer marinas or parks or secluded anchorages where you might be the only boat? Will you have a dinghy or way to get to shore? If not, that limits your choices. Some suggestions might include:

Friday Harbor (Marina/ Port)
Deer Harbor (Marina/ Port)
Sucia Island (State park with Docks, many Buoys, and Achnorages)
Matia Island (State park with small dock and a couple of buoys)
Jones Island (State park with small dock and couple of buoys)
Cypress Island (DNR land with many FREE buoys, but no docks and anchoring is discouraged)
Garrison Bay, San Juan Island (Historic site with nice secure anchorage, no docks or buoys. Small dinghy dock though.)
Stuart Island - (State park with 2 anchorages with docks and buoys)

Photos of most of these are in my cruising albums, including last Labor day at Sucia (coincidentally I'm typing this from Sucia right now, waiting for window to open to make my way North into the Gulf Islands), And yes, I'll probably be out here again this Labor Day, so keep us posted and hopefully we can meet up along the way!

-Mike

Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I hope we'll be ready to go by then. Boat need to get here and I will be doing the electronics install myself so it will be tight! We'll see they said 60 days from Friday last week. I can't wait! As we get closer I will keep you posted. At this point thinking 1st through 5th
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I hope we'll be ready to go by then. Boat need to get here and I will be doing the electronics install myself so it will be tight! We'll see they said 60 days from Friday last week. I can't wait! As we get closer I will keep you posted. At this point thinking 1st through 5th
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello H and H, if you search around this forum you will find several discussion about best places to launch and visit in the San Juans, although Mike sums it up quite nicely. If you are indeed the chill sort, then I will echo Mike's recommendation for Deer Harbor. It's very laid back. Although there is no big grocery store there, you can get gas, ice, beer, take a shower, and eat a hamburger with a side order of onion rings. What more do you really need? It's also an interesting area to explore by boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest that you at least splash the boat near home in the Columbia River for a few hours of sea trials and check out all systems before you under take a 5 day trip. You would not want some little problem to ruin the vacation--plus you will still be in the break in period on the engine for most if not all of the trip.

Is your trailer made specifically for sling/crane launches? (Generally this means some cutouts in the bunks aft, so the aft sling can properly be fitting by the lift.)

I would have guessed more issues finding dockage and buoys on the holiday weekend, but I have avoided the San Juan's on the Holidays.

Mike gives a great list of places to visit for a first trip. I have always included a stop at Roche Harbor on San Juan Island--perhaps as much to get an ice cream and dock walk looking at all of the boats...plus there is a certain charm to the ceremony there. But even a month would not allow you to visit all of the best of the harbors.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully intend to give her a couple sea trials before the San Juan trip locally assuming I get her on time. If not we'll do a trip later in the year.

It is a boat after all Smile
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a bunk trailer, Cap Sante Marina has a sling launch and they DO NOT REQUIRE bunk cut outs, they just jack up the stern.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deer harbor is great, and there is a new pizza place there, and they have great ice cream at the dock store. And it is a nice central location.

And yes, launch in the Columbia, go up to Rooster Rock or Beacon Rock and spend a night, so you get everything sorted out before you have to have it with no place to get it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny just hit beacon rock for the 4th. I love the little cove nice dock too!
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice plans shaping up Harald! Thats awesome.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We loved fisherman's bay on Lopez. They have a nice hot tub to soak in, a decent restaurant and bar at the docks and within walking distance of lots of restaurants and amenities. its pretty quiet and mellow except for on the busiest times. During the busy weekends though Deer harbor is a better choice to avoid crowds.

Our favorite place to launch was Cornet Bay just inside Deception pass. Its a very short run from there to the southern portion of the islands. Always felt Bellingham was a lot more trailering, and a much longer run to Friday harbor or Lopez. For long term parking though Bellingham cant be beat.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I will just pipe in here. So far really good advice and you just can go wrong with most places in the San Juans. BUT on a very busy weekend , labor day, the 4th or memorial day i would not beat on getting dock space anywhere without a reservation. Not saying you cant but dont count on it. Funniest thing you will hear on the VHF on 4th of July " ##Harbor do you have a dock space for a 40 ft anything for just a few hours?"

So do you own a raft and know how to use it? do you own a anchor and know how to use it? ( many dont) How much chain? have 20 ft or better. We like to anchor or tie to a buoy better then a dock. Know how to tie to a buoy?

Now lets talk trash panda. They are big and brave this year. If you have a ice chest on board you HAVE to put a big bungee across the top to the handles at night. I woke up to a sound and turned on my deck light to see 3 of the little bastards all working together. two where trying to hold the lid up while the other one was reaching inside. Crazy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: