The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

07/14 - 07/16 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
Nomad is going to be out on the water one week before the Powell River gathering. We have not decided where yet. Favourite will be Desolation/Discovery Islands, or Sunshine Coast. Anyone else going to be out and about? After the PR gathering we have to head home to Comox.

Martin and Andrea.

Hey Martin. We're still trying to make this work. The problem is too many vacation days already committed and very little time before and after the gathering. I really need to retire! Mad

Peter
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone thinking of trailering to Comox and taking the shortest route across the Georgia Strait to the Powell River gathering and leaving their tow rig at the boat ramp. I checked out the prices today. Launch/recovery and 24 hrs parking is $12. For each additional 24 hrs overnight parking, it is $2.50. Very reasonable.
All prices in Canadian dollars.

Martin.
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Launch/recovery and 24 hrs parking is $12. For each additional 24 hrs overnight parking, it is $2.50.

That is awesome. It must have changed because when I wanted to leave my truck in Comox a couple of years ago, it was the same price for every additional day as it was to launch the boat.

Thank you for the update. The Comox ramp is the best choice because it can be used at almost any tide, although half to high tide is better.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin. Vwry helpful.

Peter
Igrant

City/Region: Garden Bay
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Sprite
Photos: Sea Sprite
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
We may be in Desolation Sound before the gathering in Powell River. We will check in closer to the date.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planning to launch at Comox (thanks Martin) for this late morning on the 14th. We are hoping to be out for the entire following week but may have to reduce it down to Fri-Tuesday if work makes good on some threatening project schedules.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
bridma

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igrant wrote:
Hi Martin,
We may be in Desolation Sound before the gathering in Powell River. We will check in closer to the date.

Sounds good Ian. Give us a shout closer to the time when you know your route.

Cheers,
Martin.
bridma

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Hey Martin. We're still trying to make this work. The problem is too many vacation days already committed and very little time before and after the gathering. I really need to retire! Mad

Peter[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head Peter. "Really need to retire". I have always thought that work is vastly over rated. I really enjoy retirement, so I packed in work early. If I had known retirement was this much fun, I would have retired after grade 12 and skipped the middle part Laughing

Martin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the check up on the parking at Comox. That sure seems less than what I remembered, but sounds good. For that I would consider towing down and launching there for the PR gig. I will be in the area prior to, but will need to head back home right after. At least it is looking kind of like that for now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Desolation Sound Reply with quote

Our first stop on the Sunshine Coast end of June, will be for fuel in Lund. After that, we'll be looking for C-Dorys while we wait in Squirrel Cove for a good tide at the Yuculta rapids. CoolSmile
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure sounds like a great time was had by all attendees at the Friday Harbor CBGT. It is certainly is the premier CBGT IMHO.
And now folks its time to plan to attend the next West Coast gathering the PRCBGT July 14 -16. The format of the gathering will be much the same as last year, with a Salmon BBQ on friday night at Ron & Anne's house, Saturday potluck, and one change we'll move the pancake breakfast to Sunday. Those are the only things we have scheduled at this date. The rest of the time is open to socialize, renew friendships and explore the area, or attend the Loggers Sports event.
Docking is again in the South Harbour and is first come first served basis no reservations. The harbour master will work with us to keep us together as they did last year. I will firm up times when the Admiral returns from her week long 60th birthday celebrations on Vancouver Island.
Speaking of Vancouver Island, I had occasion to run from Powell River to Comox and back last Saturday. Conditions were excellent. Just over 1 hour each way at 17 knots.

Looking forward to seeing you at the PRCBGT

Cheers
Ron
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am just joining this discussion now and have not been to Powell river before. So I am using this app to try and figure out routes and stop overs. it will let you plan routes or it will auto route you and you can play around with the stops. t will also figure out fuel and mileage if you put in your boats info ( mph, mpg, etc) planner

I will not trailer over on the ferry. When the boat on the trailer is over 40ft not counting the truck it just does not make any sense money wise. So which route to take is the question. The facts are that I will launch at Bellingham or Anacortes. I have to clear customs some where and that is the under lining problem. If I have to go to poets cove then bellingham is out I think. I could cruise to Nanamio straight from bellingham if the weather is good. But what are my choices to clear customs if I run up the east side of the straits?? That is area that I dont know. i would like to go to Silva bay and then to Powell river but I cant clear customs there can I??

So any suggestions would be helpful.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a little time on the net has yeilded some helpfulinfo. I never thought clearing customs at white rock because its really out of the way for me. BUT if you launch at Blaine its not .

Here is the web info for Blaine boat launch.

Blaine Harbor
This year-round, 2-lane boat launch is near the U.S. / Canadian border, the beautiful Straits of Georgia, and the Canadian Gulf Islands. Less than 1 mile from Interstate 5 Exit 276, this boat launch is popular with recreational crabbers and hardcore anglers fishing in Canadian waters. The parking lot includes a boat and trailer rinse and seasonal restrooms. Year-round restroom and shower facilities are available at the nearby Boating Center. Short-term parking is intended for stays up to 2 weeks. All others should call the harbor office at 360-647-6176 to check for alternative options for longer stays.

I really like the free two week stay. So launch here, run to white rock just across the bay and then head anywhere I want north. If I do that at my cruising speed of 24 mph, yes I love my 27fter. then its just a 4 hour 24 min run to Powell river. That is not counting clearing customs. This is not a plan I had thought of before.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
We're delighted you are coming to the PRCBGT. In last years gathering thread I had posted a couple of routes doing the whole way in one go. One is for the East Side an one for the West. I don't think anyone actually took my exact route suggestions but it certainly doable in a day given the right conditions. This is my last years East side route

"OK here we go.
STRAIT SHOT EAST- distance approx 105 N miles. I chose Bellingham as a launch point. Use that trusty chart plotter to find your way out of Bellingham bay, past Portage and Lummi islands. Keep as far to the east as your chart plotter will let you, as you are headed for Boundary Bay, just north of Blaine and the border.
Your first and the only stop is the White Rock BC government wharf where you will clear customs by Telephone. (unless of course you have Nexus) Wow, look at that. You already have got 25 NM behind you! Cool. And now you have cleared customs. No big deal EH?
What now? Well, check out that trusty chart plotter again and set a course to get out of the Bay and around Point Roberts USA. Yep, I've temporarily sent you back to the States. Actually you can't get out of Boundary Bay without going back in to US waters but thats OK as long as you don't stop at Point Roberts, rendezvous with any other boats, drop packages overboard or do any other foolish thing to attract the attention of the armed folks in those fast Ribs. One other note on Boundary Bay. Its shallow. Pay attention to the chart plotter and any navigation bouys.
OK so now we are around Point Roberts and the Strait Shot East really begins. Hey you already have 35 N miles done! This stretch is only about 50 N miles. Once again consult that chart plotter. Set yourself a way point up at the east or west side of Thormanby Is, at the start of Malaspina Strait. I usually choose the east side, cause the passage between Thormanby and Sechelt Peninusla is called Welcome Passage and thats a fun name. Plus the scenery is better.
Not much navigating to be done on this stretch. Just be aware of the huge shallows at the mouths of the South and North Arm of the Fraser River. They extend well out into the strait. There should be no problem if you are staying on the Strait Shot, but if you wander east...watch that depth sounder.
If you have one, let your auto pilot do the steering. All you will have to do then is, keep a sharp eye out for big floating steel things, called ships, tugs and ferries. You are paralleling and then crossing the shipping lanes into Vancouver. While you are paying attention to the big guys don't forget to look for other floating things, like logs, floatsam, jetsam, other C-Dory's and lesser boats. Avoid all these obstacles except for the C-Dory's, invite them to join you!

Well here you are in Welcome Passage. 85 N miles done and only about 30 to go. While you may be tempted to check out numerous interesting places near here, like Buccaneer Bay and Smuggler Cove marine parks. As well as Secret Cove and Pender Harbour, all well worth exploring, you are focused, and on a Strait Shot to the PRCBGT, so press on. Set a course for East Point about half the way up Texada Island. Thats that big 29 mile long island on your left. When you get to East Point just set a course for Grief Point. Hey. Grief Point. Its not as bad as it sounds. Can't be, we live just up the hill above the point and we'll wave as you go by. Actually, as you are only 3 N miles from the PRCBGT facilities in the South Harbour, we'll probably be down there to welcome you and help tie you up.

Well there you have it, The Strait Shot East. About 105 N miles, and, depending on your cruising speed (I'll use 18 knots) 6 hrs travel time. Not bad EH? Who said the PRCBGT was a long way away. Add in time clearing customs, a stop to stretch legs at Buccaneer Bay, and a 10% speed reduction and its still done in a <9hrs. From Bellingham! Cool.

Seriously though, as wonderful as it may be, I doubt anyone will choose to do Strait Shot just to come to the PRCBGT. You might choose however, to do a Strait Shot one way though, in order to have time to explore Desolation Sound, Princess Louisa Inlet or the Gulf Islands as well as the PRCBGT. "

If I remember correctly Tom, didn't you and Susan pretty much do a Strait Shot from Princess Louisa to Bellingham a few years ago? Powell River is a just about a hours north of Jervis Inlet.
You can clear customs at WhiteRock and in Vancouver. I don't know of any other places on the east side of the Strait.
Looking forward to seeing you and Susan.

Cheers
Ron
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Susan,

Ron gives you a great description of the "Strait Shot" on the east (mainland) side. Caryn and I have done that Straight Shot on the way back from Princess Louisa to Bellingham in 2014. That's a very long day. Luckily the water conditions were good that day so it is certainly doable in one day. I would advise against it however. BTDT. Secret Cove Marine or Smugglers Cove are great stops if you take more than one day. Or even Vancouver. I almost took too wide of a berth from the Fraser River delta and we got into some lumpy water. We checked into Point Roberts and made it back to Bellingham by 8:00pm. I seem to remember being on the water from PL to Bellingham for about 12 hours. Only 2 stops, 1 for gas and 1 for customs.

Our trip back from Powell River last year included an overnight stay at Secret Cove. We were taking our time going back along the east side and decided our next stop would be in Gibsons. We should have waited a day because the water was nasty from just outside of Welcome Passage to Gibsons, about 23 miles. We were caught in very strong following seas, 3-5 footers with the occasional 6 and we were one of a handful of boats out that day and surely the smallest. Luckily we were going with the wind or it would have been really ugly. So cross your fingers for good water.

I'm sure Ron will outline the route along the west side (Gulf Islands) to Nanaimo and crossing over to Welcome Passage. We did that on the way up to Pender Harbour in 2014 and it was a good crossing. We caught a short weather window before the wind came up again and the crossing to Welcome Passage was fairly uneventlful. I would prefer that route rather than staying on the east side. The Gulf Islands as you know are inside and protected and it didn't take long to get to Nanaimo. We stayed overnight on Newcastle Island and crossed over the next day.

One thing I would suggest to everyone is to apply for a Nexus Pass. We did all the initial paperwork online which was a breeze. In a week or so, after we passed the initial screening, they told us to schedule an appointment for the interview. DO NOT attempt to schedule an interview at the Seattle office. You will wait months for your appointment. We found that we could make an appointment at the Blaine office practically the next day! We chose a Sunday for a leisurely 2 hour drive up to Blaine. Totally worth it!!

Finally, again for all of you. DO try to get up to the Powell River gathering. Ron, Anne and the gang did a great job last year and we're doing everything in our power to make it up again.

Peter & Caryn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: