The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

07/14 - 07/16 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: 07/14 - 07/16 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
From 14 Jul 2017 to 16 Jul 2017 (included)

One again the Powell River C-Brats: Ron and Anne (Meander), Greg and Flora (Reel Knotty) and Steve and Marnie (Lily Pad) would like to extend our invitation to all C-Brats, former C-Brats, and C-Brat wannabes to join us in Powell River BC, July 14 - 16.
If you didn't make it to last years PRCBGT, Powell River is located on the mainland of BC on the east side of the Salish Sea (Georgia Straight) across from Comox. There is no direct road access to Powell River, so it is accessed by ferry or a better yet use that wonderful C-Dory to check out a great new cruising area.
Powell River, population of about 13,000, has a nice marina, good stores for food provisioning, marine stores, golf course and it is about an hours cruise from Desolation Sound marine park, 5-6hrs to Princess Louisa marine park and, about 6-8 hours from the border, with lots of great anchoring or marina stops on the way if desired. Stop in at the Gulf Islands, Vancouver, Smuggler Cove, Pender Harbour or Jedidiah Island, just to mention a few.
July weather is usually calm and sunny so we are hoping for less wind this year. Come for the CBGT and stay to cruise some of these great areas either heading home or on your way up.
For BC and other Canadian C-Brats come visit a new area or return for a visit to Powell River to meet with C-Brat friends new and old.
Fishing has been good in our area in the last few years and hopefully it will continue to be good this year.
For added entertainment this year the PRCBGT will be held during the weekend of the

Powell River Loggers Sports If you've never been to a Loggers Sports event before this a great chance to expand your cultural horizons. Very Happy

Mark July 14-16 on your cruising calendars and come and join us to celebrate C-Dory's and C-Brats, enjoy good food, meet friends new and old and enjoy cruising in this beautiful area.

A event sign up sheet and more details will be added in the coming weeks.

Cheers
Ron and Anne

Added to Calendar
Signup list
-TyBoo
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powell river is a great place. It was a riot last year, great tour of those Canadian Coast Guard vessels, good food, lots of fun and some great cruising areas. Oh, and that Sunday morning breeze, sure mad for some fun trying to stay on station. Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference, where exactly is Powell River, and if coming by C-Dory, where would one launch? (Coordinates are always good. ) Wink Colby
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
I didn't even think of co-ordinates I am more of a description kind of guy. LOL
49.8352° N, 124.5247° W.
Rather than repost all the info again I'll reference you to last years thread. We had folks from WA, ID, and Dave and Ginny Deem all the way from PA last year so there was plenty of different routes taken. In last years thread I have suggested a couple of routes, a cruising itinerary, and various launch points. The biggest thing is, although Powell River is on the BC mainland it does not have direct road access. To drive here you need to take 2 ferries. Last year everyone opted to come by C-Dory cause its usually more fun. Anyway, if after scanning through last years thread you have any questions un-answered I, or some other C-Brat will be more than happy to help.
Oh yeah, the exchange rate US to Can $ is still very much in your favour so if you check out ferry rates don't forget to discount them by about 30% to get "real" $.
Cheers
Ron
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron for the info and link advice. I'm serious thinking about doing the northern part of the Inland Passage next summer (2018), and perhaps this gathering is something that would work in with that. If not, there are future years. (This year is already pretty packed. lol) Colby

Late edit.... just plotted the coordinates. Perhaps better to work in with another San Juans trip?
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

That was the best PR CBGT I have ever been to! Full disclosure: its the only CBGT I have ever been to.

I will try to fit this around salmon fishing this year.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT July 14-16 Reply with quote

Ron, Anne and friends put together a great event. I'm not a big gathering guy but I liked this one the best. Anne chauffeured everyone around town and to a local farmers market. The food was the best of any get together I'd ever been too. Ron and Anne's house has one the best views you could ever imagine. Met some nice people and had an unforgettable night aboard a Nordic Tug owned by some former C-Dry owners. There was this other couple from Comox; Martin I think and his wife Andrea who made for a fun get together. Those Nordic Tug (Blake, Ronda & INKY) people were really a scream. Laughing Beer A really all-around great bunch of people.
Thanks to all for the great memories.
D.D.

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby (and others),

If you chose not to launch down south, somewhere in US waters, there is a beautiful and B I G ferry that goes across to Vancouver Island. For the last several years, during the summer, BC Ferry has offered a discount fare for "oversize" (meaning both over length or over height loads), which almost every C-Dory on a trailer behind a tow rig will qualify for. The schedule times were set up to help fill the ferries during "less traveled" periods. OK, that works for me. I can afford to get up and be at the ferry terminal at 0500 to save about $150.00, or travel on the times they make that discount available.

You can arrive at the terminal after they close the evening before, sleep on the boat, and be in line for the wake up call at about 0430 Confused Shocked Cool

Take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Duke Point (or wherever you chose) on Vancouver Island and drive up to Comox/Courtney area, and run across the Strait of Georgia on a nice day. Easy Peasy, and enjoy that beautiful area.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Anne and Ron as well as the rest of the gang. We're glad to hear your putting on another PR CBGT. We had an awesome time last year and would love to visit your neck of the woods again. We'll see if we can make it happen. We've got lots of plans this year with too little vacation time. This work thing sucks.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are announced on the front page and the signup list is ready.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see a Canadian event. Count us in. Love Powell River! Great town, friendly laid back residents. Lots of Nature around. Kerri On and crew will be there
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo thanks so much for the signup page!

Quote:
Ron,

That was the best PR CBGT I have ever been to! Full disclosure: its the only CBGT I have ever been to.

I will try to fit this around salmon fishing this year.

Dwight
I'm glad your "first" time was memorable. lol I'm glad we were able to keep you entertained.

Greg we're delighted that the awesome organizing team from Friday Harbor will be heading our way.

George so glad to hear from you. You know this cruising ground as well as anybody and it will be great to see you and to have you share your knowledge with the C-Brats from elsewhere.

Although it early days yet its great to see some folks starting to make plans around the PRCBGT.

Cheers
Ron and Anne
kevin ware

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: El Gato Thomas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Powell River Reply with quote

We will probably go in our TC 25.5.

If anyone wants to buddy boat, we would leave La Conner late AM on Wed 7/12 and plan to arrive on 7/13 or 14 depending upon weather.

Kevin Ware
El Gato Thomas
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Powell River Reply with quote

kevin ware wrote:
We will probably go in our TC 25.5.

If anyone wants to buddy boat, we would leave La Conner late AM on Wed 7/12 and plan to arrive on 7/13 or 14 depending upon weather.

Kevin Ware
El Gato Thomas

Kevin, I'd love to buddy boat up with you but I think I'd need to leave about 3 days ahead to get there at the same time you do Laughing Hope to see you up there, and hope they let you park with the C-Dorys, this time Wink

A flotilla would sure be a fun way to go.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you chose not to launch down south, somewhere in US waters, there is a beautiful and B I G ferry that goes across to Vancouver Island. For the last several years, during the summer, BC Ferry has offered a discount fare for "oversize" (meaning both over length or over height loads), which almost every C-Dory on a trailer behind a tow rig will qualify for. The schedule times were set up to help fill the ferries during "less traveled" periods.

I can not make it to the Powell River CBGT this year because of date conflicts but I went last year and it was a lot of fun.

I would like to suggest if anyone is interested in a PRE-Get together cruise I would love some company to go to the West Coast of Vancouver Island (near Tofino) between June 29 and July 11.

You could come over on the ferry at the discounted rate and then drive to Grice Bay to launch the boat, then drive back across the island and launch again somewhere Comox and go the Powell River CBGT. You would also be very close to Desolation Sound for some post cruising fun.

They haven't posted the summer discounts yet, but they are a good deal and the ferry fares are in Canadian dollars so that makes them a lot cheaper for those driving up from the US.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: