The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

07/14 - 07/16 - Powell River BC, Canadian CBGT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serenitymay1995

City/Region: Cumberland
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gumption
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Prgt Reply with quote

We are going to see if we can get back in time to stop in and see everyone. Will be up north for the week but if we can we will cruise over. I am sure I can probably get some kind of moorage if I call ahead!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rom and Anne,

I am planning to make the BBQ and the whole rest of the CBGT too, assuming weather will not preclude crossing from CR earlier in the week. Hope to be there Very early Friday. (I will help move boats again - if needed Laughing

Looking forward very much to another really great CBGT (C-Brat Get Together)
and seeing old , (previous) and new friends there.

By the way, Canada Day at Todd Inlet, (behind Buchart Gardens) was AWESOME.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kevin ware

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: El Gato Thomas
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Powell 'River Reply with quote

We will be leaving LaConner on Wed 7/12 for Powell River. Probably go through customs at Pender Harbor, then run NW on the Vancouver Island side until getting near Comox. Might spend the night somewhere enroute, and arrive on PR on Thurs. PM.

Does anyone have a favored crossing place to BC from VI?

We are taking our Tom Cat, and will run at about 21 - 25 knots. Anyone wanting to buddy boat would be welcome.

Kevin Ware
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comox to PR is the shortest route across the Strait. At the speed you do, maybe an hour max.

Martin.
Igrant

City/Region: Garden Bay
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Sprite
Photos: Sea Sprite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be there for the Friday BBq. It is an easy run from Pender Harbour. Looking forward to another great gathering.
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably go through customs at Pender Harbor

Are you sure you mean Pender Harbour? You would almost be in Powell River by then so I wouldn't cross the straight there.

However, if you are clearing customs on Pender ISLAND then following the Vancouver Island side up makes sense.

The wind will dictate your best crossing.

Many people like to go from Nanaimo up toward Lasquiti Island. You on the straight much longer, but you are on an angle so you may be going into the waves instead of them hitting you broadside. You also have the option of stopping at Lasquiti Island for shelter or lunch. Jededia (between Lasquiti and Texada) is very pretty and worth the visit. You would then follow Texada Island up to Powell River.

You could also cross from Nanaimo and go across to Secret Cove and then follow the coast past Pender Harbour and Jervis Inlet and Grief Point.

The other option and the shortest distance across the straight to cross at Comox. You may end up taking the waves on the beam if the wind is blowing up or down the straight.

Be flexible and check the wind conditions before you make your decision and check to see if Whiskey Gulf is ACTIVE.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to spend a couple of days in Sechelt Inlet then I will be heading to Powell River and stopping in Jervis Inlet on my way and will probably arrive on Friday morning or sooner if the weather is questionable.

If anyone wants to meet up around Jervis Inlet on their way to Powell River (or Mike as you leave Powell River) let me know.

I am waiting to cross Sechelt Rapids (Skoocumchuck Narrows) at this very moment.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cgypsy"]
Quote:

The wind will dictate your best crossing.

Many people like to go from Nanaimo up toward Lasquiti Island. You on the straight much longer, but you are on an angle so you may be going into the waves instead of them hitting you broadside. You also have the option of stopping at Lasquiti Island for shelter or lunch. Jededia (between Lasquiti and Texada) is very pretty and worth the visit. You would then follow Texada Island up to Powell River.

That's good advice right there cgypsy!

Peter
II Live Free

City/Region: Pagosa Springs
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: II Live Free
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could join you all but stuck in Bellingham till about 7/14 getting a radar arch and new radar. Single handed so meeting other brats to pick up tips would be good. Not a real nube as I've been a Live aboard sailed.
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started watching the Powell River forecasts yesterday and it looks good, if the websites I'm looking at are accurate. Windfinder.com shows Comox Spit and Powell River as having 2 knots gusting to 3 knots on Friday morning from 8 until 11 am. High tide at Comox is 9 am. Sunny and warm. Sounds too good to be true. Forecast wind conditions are actually lighter today than they were yesterday.

Wind forecasts and present conditions where I'm at on Hood Canal are based on the airport at Shelton. It never fails that the airport at Bremerton is a better prediction, but I think that the websites are based on Zip codes or something. And what it's doing at the Shelton airport has little to do with the wind on Hood Canal.

Anybody know which is the most accurate forecast for Powell River area? Any live cams showing current conditions?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Anybody know which is the most accurate forecast for Powell River area? Any live cams showing current conditions?

Mark
I tend to use the Marine Weather for the general forecast.

I then click the "Weather Conditions" tab to get the hourly reports from various bouys and stations up and down the strait. It works pretty well for me.
Cheers
Ron
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.weather.gov/sew/

I use this site of the local waters in washington.

Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey do you remember the time before Netflix, when we used to rent DVD's that had bonus features on them? Well, for the fisher people among us, Anne has arranged a bonus feature. She has arranged to have Sam Sansalone, the owner of Powell River Outdoors, to give a short talk about fishing in the greater Powell River area.

Sam is incredibly knowledgable about fishing (and hunting) and anyone that is planning to try their hand at catching some salmon, halibut, cod, rockfish, crab or prawns would be sure to gather some valuable info.

Location Powell River Outdoors store, 4 pm Friday the 14th. The store is located only one block from the marina.

Speaking of fishing. I did manage to catch enough salmon for the BBQ! I was out yesterday and added two to the dinner menu. Mad The fishing was great ( I brought 10 fish to the boat) but the fish seem to be on the small side this year. I wonder if that has do with the amount of feed? Anyway there seems to be plenty fish out there if I can catch that many. LOL

Cheers
Ron
Catman

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in that case, Ron, I'm going to give this one a go. I'll leave from near Anacortes late Thursday afternoon and arrive likely Saturday, perhaps Friday if the Strait of Georgia is feeling sleepy when I leave Nanaimo.

MikeR has inspired me with his latest Desolation Sound exploits, and I look forward to seeing all of you. My last visit to Westview was summer 1996.
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, we are absolutely delighted to have you join us!
With Bambina ll , you'll be able to fly straight up the strait and be here Thursday night. We'll be sure to save a seat for you at the BBQ on Friday in case you do get here in time.
Greg, we are going to save you guys a spot at the BBQ as well, cause the weather report is looking very favourable for the rest of the week. Fridays prediction is for light winds in the afternoon. Very Happy That should make for about a 1 hr crossing from Comox. I hope it holds.

Any one else that hasn't let me know if you plan on being at the BBQ please do so if you can.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Cheers
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: